Windows 10: Help with possibly corrupt hard drive.

Discus and support Help with possibly corrupt hard drive. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all! I am new to these forums but hoping for some help from a techie :) I have a HP laptop that is running awful on Windows 10 so decided I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JasonRobins, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Help with possibly corrupt hard drive.

Hi all!

I am new to these forums but hoping for some help from a techie Help with possibly corrupt hard drive. :)

I have a HP laptop that is running awful on Windows 10 so decided I wanted to take it back to Windows 7 (the operating system it came with). I no longer had my recovery partition so Microsoft support provided me with a OEM iso for me to reinstall Win 7.

I was following instructions on how to use a USB Hdd as a bootable media to install Windows (which I now know is a terrible idea after looking around) .. Anyway I downloaded a piece of software to convert a hdd to a bootable USB flash.. And accidently selected the wrong option to clone my current operating system to the ext USB Hdd .. It restarted and before Windows loaded started cloning... I stupidly pulled out the USB from the laptop while it was cloning.

Now the Disk Management in Win 10 will not allow me to convert the USB Hdd to a Dynamic drive as it says the Operation cannot be completed on this media. I have tried googling and have followed many instructions but have got no where ..

I managed via cmd to convert it to NTFS but still it wouldnt let me convert back to a dynamic drive and assign it a letter..

Before all this the USB hdd worked fine.

Sorry for the long post.. But to be clear I just want the 1TB USB Hdd back to how it was Help with possibly corrupt hard drive. :)

Any advice is appreciated ! Thank you!

:)

JasonRobins, Mar 15, 2019

2. CANNOT DELETE A CORRUPTED FILE ON MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ON WINDOWS 10

Hi Leenus,

Hard drive and other external memory storage can be corrupted on account of bad sectors which are no longer accessible or writable due to permanent damage. Your device or hard drive could also be infected by some type of malware. These are some of the possible
    causes why you are experiencing the error "ERROR 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable". To address this concern, we suggest performing the following troubleshooting methods:

Method 1

Check and repair disk errors or corrupted file system. This process can fix "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error caused by bad sectors, virus infection or file system corruption. To do so, follow these steps:

• Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Using Search, type CMD.
    • From the search results, right-click on Command Prompt and then choose Run as administrator.
    • On the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk /f h: (h stands for your hard drive) and then hit the Enter key.
    • Delete the corrupted file and check if you'll experience the same error.

Method 2

Format the hard drive. You can manually format the hard drive to permanently remove "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error. These are the steps on how to format an external drive:

• Plug the hard drive into your computer.
    • Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Open File Explorer and then click This PC.
    • Click the external hard drive's name, click on Manage tab and then click on Format.
    • Click Start and then click OK.

Keep us updated with the result.

Darleen Pen, Mar 15, 2019
  3. CANNOT DELETE A CORRUPTED FILE ON MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ON WINDOWS 10

I had the very same problem and this worked perfectly!!!

PaulMisener, Mar 15, 2019
  4. Help with possibly corrupt hard drive.

Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

Home - Global Support - FR

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Mar 15, 2019
Thema:

Help with possibly corrupt hard drive.

1. Help with possibly corrupt hard drive. - Similar Threads - Help possibly corrupt

2. External Seagate Hard Drive 100% read and write, possible corruption?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Seagate Hard Drive 100% read and write, possible corruption?: Hello there, I am having trouble with my External Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive 1 TB Blue, it keeps freezing at times and when I check Task Manager, it shows 100% on the read and write. I suspect the drive maybe corrupted so I ran chkdsk. It ran for a couple of days...
  3. External Seagate Hard Drive 100% read and write, possible corruption?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Seagate Hard Drive 100% read and write, possible corruption?: Hello there, I am having trouble with my External Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive 1 TB Blue, it keeps freezing at times and when I check Task Manager, it shows 100% on the read and write. I suspect the drive maybe corrupted so I ran chkdsk. It ran for a couple of days...
  4. External Seagate Hard Drive 100% read and write, possible corruption?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Corrupted hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Corrupted hard drive: Hello I had a hard drive go out on me. It says "The file or Directory is corrupted and unreadable". I tried restarting the computer and using "chkdsk x: /f /r" But it didn't work. some of the the results are: 89600 file records processed. File verification completed....
  6. corrupted hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    corrupted hard drive: I was told I had a corrupted hard drive and so I bought an ssd drive to replace it. now I cant get windows to down load or to read anything on the pc. It says that I have 2 hard drives both new WD2t. and a Samsung 256gb ssd. but will not let me load windows onto either of...
  7. Corrupted Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Corrupted Hard Drive: How do you reformat a corrected hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/corrupted-hard-drive/b4812ab5-d725-4cac-9aaf-8a1b884873f8
  8. Hard Drive Corruption.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Drive Corruption.: Hi everyone, my machine improper shut downs, many times and hard closing programs. I was looking for solutions and I found out one by check disk. Can you tell me how can I do that? Thanks...
  9. Possible Hard Drive failure?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Possible Hard Drive failure?: Hello, I recently came home to an extremely sluggish PC running windows 10. Managed to get to start>power menu and opted for 'restart and update'. 54% through the update and the PC reset and then didn't boot, just went to a black screen with an intermittently flashing...
  10. Corrupted hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Corrupted hard drives: Hi I am sure this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find it. My external drives were set to 'turn off write-cache' and we had a black out. The result is a 3 Tb Seagate external drive, a 2 Tb Seagate external drive, and a 500 Gb portable drive are no longer seen by...