Windows 10: Help with recovering my lost files due to a Windows 10 temporary profile error

Discus and support Help with recovering my lost files due to a Windows 10 temporary profile error in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; As you could probably tell by my post history, this isn't my first post based on the issue I am having, but hopefully this is my last. This has been an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ooboh, Feb 26, 2019.

1. ooboh Win User

Help with recovering my lost files due to a Windows 10 temporary profile error

As you could probably tell by my post history, this isn't my first post based on the issue I am having, but hopefully this is my last. This has been an issue almost three years in the making.

This issue involves my Dell Inspiron N5050 laptop. It was given to me as a birthday present on July 25, 2012. It was working well until October of 2015, when I upgraded to Windows 10. In about April or May 2016, my laptop encountered a temporary profile error, and since then, it has been largely unusable, which has resulted in the disappearance of the vast majority of my videos, files, and documents.

Here’s where things get interesting: fast forward to July 31, 2016. I used a video tutorial to try to solve the profile error:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50uF-eCrZGM&feature=youtu.be

This was a mistake, because I fear it may have overwritten my user account, and all of my personal files are now gone forever. On top of that, system restore doesn't work, nor does it go back far enough for me to do anything. I am now accessing my laptop using a “half-baked” version. However, I do have a glimmer of hope. My username — where all of my personal files are located — is “obohokey”. All of the fonts I’ve downloaded since I’ve gotten the laptop in 2012 are still on the laptop. Furthermore, all downloads since the Temporary Profile Error go to “obohokey.obohokey-PC.001” instead of “obohokey.”

I've tried contacting my school's IT help desk for assistance to my long-persisting problem. They suggested that I try to do a backup of my current files and do a complete reinstall, with the risk of potential data loss. I strongly considered this until I noticed how much data I had free on my drive.Help with recovering my lost files due to a Windows 10 temporary profile error [​IMG]

You'll have to turn your head to see it, but it says that I have 819 GB free. I know for certain that I had way LESS than 819 GB free up to the moment the entire issue occurred, so that is why I approached doing a system reinstall with apprehension. If the system is wiped clean, and the wrong files are copied, then I will lose all of my actual files, assuming they are still on my laptop somewhere.

What do I do in this situation? Do I take a chance and go with the system reinstall, or if not, what should I do to be able to access "obohokey" again and finally put an end to this saga?

I understand that this is a lot of information to process. I will be deeply grateful to anyone who is willing to help me. Thanks.

:)

ooboh, Feb 26, 2019

2. Lost Files saved in Temporary profile

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

It must be difficult when things do not work as expected.

A temporary user profile is issued each time an error condition prevents the user's profile from loading. Temporary profiles are deleted at the end of each session, and changes made by the user to their desktop settings and files are lost when the user logs
    off. I suggest you to use any third party application and check if you are able to recover the deleted files.

Disclaimer: Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee
    that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Usage of Third Party Software are done at your own risk.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Feb 26, 2019
  3. signed in with temporary profile windows 10

Hi Alan,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Temporary profile. I will certainly help you.

To assist you better, let us know from which version of Windows you upgraded to Windows 10? Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 update?

I suggest you to refer to below link on “find lost files after upgrading to Windows 10” and go to the option
    Check to see if you’re signed in with a temporary profile.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12386/windows-10-find-lost-files-after-update

I also suggest you to create a new user account and check if it helps.

Please follow the below mentioned steps to create a new user account:

• Press Windows logo key +
      I
      key to open Settings.

• Select Accounts, click on
      Family & other people
      in the left pane.

• Under Other users, select
      Add someone else to this PC.

• Enter a name for the new account. If you wish create a password, and verify the password, add a password hint, then select
      Next.

• Select Finish.
    Note: As you are logged in temporary profile be sure to copy everything you worked on to an external drive/flash drive because it will be deleted when you sign out.

Please get back to us if you still face any difficulty with your Windows 10 login profile. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Mayank_Bhiwal, Feb 26, 2019
  4. Help with recovering my lost files due to a Windows 10 temporary profile error

Lost Files saved in Temporary profile

Good day everyone. I would like to ask a help. I was signed in into a temporary profile yesterday because I cannot sign in my account. I transferred all my files there because I have work to be done. But when I restarted my windows, my original account came
    back and my files were lost. Do I have still the chance to recover my files? please please please help. thank you very much.

Original title:Temporary Profile Issue

Donna Arth Joan Limosnero, Feb 26, 2019
Thema:

Help with recovering my lost files due to a Windows 10 temporary profile error

1. Help with recovering my lost files due to a Windows 10 temporary profile error - Similar Threads - Help recovering lost

2. Recover deleted Temporary profile.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recover deleted Temporary profile.: Hey.I need help if someone is willing to help me. Yesterday my laptop opened up a temporary profile. And because I dont know alot about tech, I mistakenly moved my work into a temporary profile because I just thought I had a system reset. Today, it has gone back to its usual...
  3. Recover deleted Temporary profile.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover deleted Temporary profile.: Hey.I need help if someone is willing to help me. Yesterday my laptop opened up a temporary profile. And because I dont know alot about tech, I mistakenly moved my work into a temporary profile because I just thought I had a system reset. Today, it has gone back to its usual...
  4. Recover deleted Temporary profile.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Lost Download Files in Temporary Profile

Lost Download Files in Temporary Profile: Due to system error I was assigned a temporary profile by windows. While working in the temporary profile, I needed files in my downloads folder, but click on download the folder was empty. Had to go into the C Drive, under my regular user name to access the files. I thought...
  6. Lost Download Files in Temporary Profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost Download Files in Temporary Profile: Due to system error I was assigned a temporary profile by windows. While working in the temporary profile, I needed files in my downloads folder, but click on download the folder was empty. Had to go into the C Drive, under my regular user name to access the files. I thought...
  7. Lost Download Files in Temporary Profile

8. Files in temporary profile has been lost

Files in temporary profile has been lost: Hi, Yesterday i moved my files from the original user to a temporary profile , I did not know that it was temporary and my files willbe lostI kept looking for them in the temporary file folder however i could not find themPlease is there any possible way to restore my files...
  9. Files in temporary profile has been lost

Files in temporary profile has been lost: Hi, Yesterday i moved my files from the original user to a temporary profile , I did not know that it was temporary and my files willbe lostI kept looking for them in the temporary file folder however i could not find themPlease is there any possible way to restore my files...
  10. Temporary Profile - Lost Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Temporary Profile - Lost Files: Please help! I was using my laptop last night and whenI logged in this morning it opened with a temporary profile. I have lost all my files and desktop icons - everything gone. How can I fix this? I'm not that savy when it comes to fixing things though. Thanks!...