Windows 10: help with repartioning "new" hard drive

Discus and support help with repartioning "new" hard drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I inherited a 2T Seagate Skyyhawk hard drive which he removed from his surveillance system. I installed this in my old windows 10 computer , the HDD is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by sportflyer, May 20, 2019.

1. help with repartioning "new" hard drive

I inherited a 2T Seagate Skyyhawk hard drive which he removed from his surveillance system. I installed this in my old windows 10 computer , the HDD is recognized. Since this is an old computer , all the disks are MBR , however this new disk is GPT

I have some questions:

1) Can I leave it as GPT or should I convert it to MBR
    2) The disk has 2 partitions: F 5GB (file system is Ext3 )and H 1.8TB (File system is other but FAT32 per windows disk management)
    3) How do I combine them into one large partititon and reformat to NTFS ?

I will be using Mini Tool Partition for the task.

Thanks

:)

sportflyer, May 20, 2019

2. Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

http://support.lenovo.com/in/hi/

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, May 20, 2019
  3. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, May 20, 2019
  4. help with repartioning "new" hard drive

exterior hard drive usable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Plug USB hard drive into old computer.
    • Open File Explorer (Win+E) and open the USB drive.
    • Open another File Explorer window and open your documents folder.
    • Drag files to the USB drive.
    • Move drive to new computer.
    • Drag files to their new homes in the matching documents/pictures/videos/whatever folders you use to organize.
    Please let us know if you have any further issues. in uploading/ transferring data.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, May 20, 2019
Thema:

help with repartioning "new" hard drive

1. help with repartioning "new" hard drive - Similar Threads - help repartioning hard

2. New hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New hard drive: My old hard drive in my Acer laptop was stuck in a desktop refresh loop. I took a hard drive from a dell desktop and installed it into my Acer laptop. It boots fine, but none of the drivers work. I can't update them or reinstall them to get them to work. I can't connect to...
  3. new hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    new hard drive: I have just installed a new hard drive as the old one was running slow i transferred everything over but it would not move the windows part so cannot start up pc without the old hard drive...
  4. new hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    new hard drive: I have just installed a new hard drive as the old one was running slow i transferred everything over but it would not move the windows part so cannot start up pc without the old hard drive...
  5. Help: New Laptop, One Drive filled Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Help: New Laptop, One Drive filled Hard Drive: Hi All, I'm trying to help my wife out on her new Laptop. When I sent up her Microsoft Account, including trying to attach to her OneDrive, it downloaded all of the files off the one drive onto her laptop. She now has no room on her laptop harddrive. I would like to have the...
  6. Old Hard Drive, New Computer Help!

Old Hard Drive, New Computer Help!: I have taken an older HDD from a previous computer. I am not sure if it was a boot drive in the older computer or not. I don’t need to keep anything on it. I just need the extra storage in my new computer. When i am in file explorer looking at it. It says it only has a 98.9...
  7. REPARTION HARD DRIVE

REPARTION HARD DRIVE: My c drive has only 1% space available, but the d has plenty of space. How can I repartition to free up space on the c drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/repartion-hard-drive/1a0a0e5d-f454-4de7-8040-de417fe6a6a7"
  8. help with repartioning "new" hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    help with repartioning "new" hard drive: I inherited a 2T Seagate Skyyhawk hard drive which he removed from his surveillance system. I installed this in my old windows 10 computer , the HDD is recognized. Since this is an old computer , all the disks are MBR , however this new disk is GPT I have some questions: 1)...
  9. New Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Hard Drive: I am looking to replace my current hard drive with a better one, and I am unsure on where to go/what to do on going about to install Windows 10 (Pro, to be exact.) back onto my PC with the new hard drive. Where would I go to download an installer and what would I do? I have a...
  10. Repartioning when the drives are seperated by a recovery drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Repartioning when the drives are seperated by a recovery drive: I need to shrink one partition, partition D, and extend partition C with the newly unallocated space. I can shrink D without any problems, however, for some reason the two partitions are seperated by a small recovery drive that i can not delete. Any advice about getting the...