Windows 10: Help with resetting/restoring a system folder that i shouldnt have deleted.

Discus and support Help with resetting/restoring a system folder that i shouldnt have deleted. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; For some reason i thought it was a good idea to delete the "C:/Users/Administrator/OneDrive" folder using "rm -r -fo" in PowerShell. Now i cant access... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/bicky-royal, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Help with resetting/restoring a system folder that i shouldnt have deleted.

For some reason i thought it was a good idea to delete the "C:/Users/Administrator/OneDrive" folder using "rm -r -fo" in PowerShell. Now i cant access the Documents, Pictures and Desktop folder anymore as i keep getting an error obviously saying the folder can't be located. How can i fix this?

Windows 10 Home (19041.868) on HP Pavilion laptop

submitted by /u/bicky-royal
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/bicky-royal, Apr 12, 2021
  2. jellyroll Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CHelp with resetting/restoring a system folder that i shouldnt have deleted. :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CHelp with resetting/restoring a system folder that i shouldnt have deleted. :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, Apr 12, 2021
  3. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Help with resetting/restoring a system folder that i shouldnt have deleted. :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Help with resetting/restoring a system folder that i shouldnt have deleted. :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Apr 12, 2021
  4. jellyroll Win User

Help with resetting/restoring a system folder that i shouldnt have deleted.

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

AndreTen - I have tried Disk Cleanup but unfortunately the problem entries did not go away.
    I feel certain Bree (VIP Member) has identified the correct cause of this problem as above and his adviced solution should also do the trick.

- - - Updated - - -

Bree - Thank you. I must admit that I did use 'Create system image' a few times in 'Backup & Restore (Windows 7)' instead of 'Backup now' and these ghost entries relate to those actions. You have rightly identified the cause of this issue.
    It is crazy that Microsoft has put two different backup options causing the issue of these ghost restore points.

Regarding your advice on how to rectify the issue - I must add that I am not very computer savvy and feel reluctant to use Diskpart utility etc to delete 'WindowsImageBackup\SPPMetadataCache' and 'WindowsImageBackup\Catalog folders' from within 'System Volume Information' folder with command Prompt as I fear damaging the pc by making any mistakes, as I have never done this before.

Please advice if there may be another simpler method to delete the above folders OR if you are able and have time to post a step by step instructions (with pictures if possible) on how to follow your advice. Much appreciated.

jellyroll, Apr 12, 2021
Thema:

Help with resetting/restoring a system folder that i shouldnt have deleted.

1. Help with resetting/restoring a system folder that i shouldnt have deleted. - Similar Threads - Help resetting restoring

2. Help with system restore!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help with system restore!: Hi, so I was wondering how long system restore will take and if you could read through my story. so I wasn't sure why my pc has been playing up, but when I started up the pc would take a long time to show the login page and long time to put in pin, Once in would be slow to...
  3. Help with system restore!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with system restore!: Hi, so I was wondering how long system restore will take and if you could read through my story. so I wasn't sure why my pc has been playing up, but when I started up the pc would take a long time to show the login page and long time to put in pin, Once in would be slow to...
  4. Accidentally deleted my whole windowsapps folder then did a system reset, i need help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally deleted my whole windowsapps folder then did a system reset, i need help: So i was trying to fix a blue screen error i was having and ended up accidentally deleting the windowsapps folder with all the files inside, then i was afraid because some things weren't working on my system so i did a system reset and kept some files, now many of the...
  5. Accidentally deleted my whole windowsapps folder then did a system reset, i need help

Accidentally deleted my whole windowsapps folder then did a system reset, i need help: So i was trying to fix a blue screen error i was having and ended up accidentally deleting the windowsapps folder with all the files inside, then i was afraid because some things weren't working on my system so i did a system reset and kept some files, now many of the...
  6. System restore point deleted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore point deleted.: Hello, so I created a restore point on my PC just a month ago and just I upgraded to Windows 11. After updating to Windows 11 I got some updates and I installed them but then I see that my Windows.old folder is deleted and I am stuck on Windows 11, so I went ahead and checked...
  7. System restore point deleted.

System restore point deleted.: Hello, so I created a restore point on my PC just a month ago and just I upgraded to Windows 11. After updating to Windows 11 I got some updates and I installed them but then I see that my Windows.old folder is deleted and I am stuck on Windows 11, so I went ahead and checked...
  8. Can't delete system restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete system restore: Recently tried restoring my system to a restore point. I had around 70gb free on the drive when I attempted it. It failed before finishing as It told me there was insufficient space on the drive. When I got back into windows the free space went down to are 4.5gb The...
  9. Can't delete system restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete system restore: Recently tried restoring my system to a restore point. I had around 70gb free on the drive when I attempted it. It failed before finishing as It told me there was insufficient space on the drive. When I got back into windows the free space went down to are 4.5gb The...
  10. help in restoring accidentally deleted folder in "Pictures" folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    help in restoring accidentally deleted folder in "Pictures" folder?: hi all, i connected my iphone to my laptop to transfer my photos from my phone to my laptop, so that i could delete the photos in phone to reduce storage. but, i ran into a problem when i put all the transferred photos in a folder then i moved the folder to the "pictures"...