Windows 10: Help with SSD boot drive change

Discus and support Help with SSD boot drive change in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I have a 240gb and 500gb ssd. I have upgraded and cloned over the years. So Win10 install is on C-500gb drive (C/500). When I removed the 240gb D... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dsa44, Jan 25, 2021.

1. dsa44 Win User

Help with SSD boot drive change

So I have a 240gb and 500gb ssd. I have upgraded and cloned over the years. So Win10 install is on C-500gb drive (C/500). When I removed the 240gb D drive (D/240) to repurpose elsewhere, Windows would not boot, bios error BootManger missing, or something like that. So popped back in the D/240 drive and had to point to that as the boot device in bios and all is well again.
    Attached a pic of disk manager.
    How do I move the boot info from D/240 to C/500 in order to remove D/240? Also not sure why there are 2 partitions on "Disk0, the 500gb drive?
    Ultimately want to then convert C/500 to gpt, then clone to a larger 2TB ssd as the boot drive and repurpose the 240 and 500 elsewhere.
    Thanks for looking!

Help with SSD boot drive change [​IMG]

:)

dsa44, Jan 25, 2021
  2. mdelsole Win User

How to change boot drive from hdd to ssd?

One of the latest microsoft updates crashed my computer. As a result I had to get windows reinstalled in the repair shop. When I got my computer (laptop) back, I found that windows had been reinstalled on my hdd, not my ssd. I am looking to fix this now.

I've already cloned windows on to the ssd. I've been following the steps in other tutorials that tell me I have to change the boot option in the BIOS at startup. However, when I go to boot priorities, the ssd does not appear. When looking under Hard disk
    drive BBS priorities, it also does not appear; the only option that appears is my hard drive. I feel like I maybe missed a step somewhere; am I supposed to be able to go straight from cloning to be able to select the drive in BIOS?

Any help would be appreciated.

mdelsole, Jan 25, 2021
  3. how to change boot drive to ssd drive from system drive

My widows 10 computer crashed and would not boot. I lost my recovery disk and borrowed one from my spouse. Her system booted from a system drive while my system booted from a SSD drive. After recovering my computer, it no longer boots from the SSD drive.
    What is the best way to make the changes so that I'm back to booting from my SSD drive? I recovered all my lost files from a backup drive and the windows on the SSD may not be the same as on the new WindowsC: drive. I know that I can go into the BIOS and
    change the boot drive to the SSD drive, but I'm afraid that there is more to it than that.

JimMorgan7, Jan 25, 2021
  4. Help with SSD boot drive change

Cloned SSD Won't boot

Ok I will do this now. What are the next steps after that to make it my main drive and move everything to it?

lhunter664, Jan 25, 2021
Thema:

Help with SSD boot drive change

1. Help with SSD boot drive change - Similar Threads - Help SSD boot

2. Can't change New SSD to boot drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't change New SSD to boot drive: I recently got a new 2 TB M2 SSD to add to my PC. I cloned my current 512 GB SSD onto it and attempted to restart after changing the boot priority in my BIOS but the C drive remained the same. When I disconnected the old SSD my PC would just go to a blue screen right away, I...
  3. Can't change New SSD to boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change New SSD to boot drive: I recently got a new 2 TB M2 SSD to add to my PC. I cloned my current 512 GB SSD onto it and attempted to restart after changing the boot priority in my BIOS but the C drive remained the same. When I disconnected the old SSD my PC would just go to a blue screen right away, I...
  4. Can't change New SSD to boot drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. PC changed drive c to drive g on my SSD = no boot drive = no booting up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PC changed drive c to drive g on my SSD = no boot drive = no booting up.: I did something very stupid and had to check every component on my PC to find out what was defective. Turns out the MB battery was dead as a doornail! Replaced it. I had been trying "fix startup problems", "restore", "recover", etc. from a rescue disk. Nothing would work. In...
  6. Change SSD drive letter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change SSD drive letter: Spec. Win 10 ver 2004, build 19041.572 Hi. I have fitted a new 500GB SSD to my PC and 'Cloned' the old SSD to it. My problem is trying to change the new drive to C and the old drive to an unused letter. So at the moment I have 2 SSD drives that are the same, at present C...
  7. Change SSD drive letter

in Windows 10 Support
    Change SSD drive letter: Spec. Win 10 ver 2004, build 19041.572 Hi. I have fitted a new 500GB SSD to my PC and 'Cloned' the old SSD to it. My problem is trying to change the new drive to C and the old drive to an unused letter. So at the moment I have 2 SSD drives that are the same, at present C...
  8. booting to ssd help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    booting to ssd help: i have a computer with several drives. I have windows 10 Enterprise version 1803 booting on my 1TB HDD. It is getting full and i want to boot to my 125gb SSD and have just windows on it because its a little slow and windows forces an update every week and it breaks my entire...
  9. how to change boot drive to ssd drive from system drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to change boot drive to ssd drive from system drive: My widows 10 computer crashed and would not boot. I lost my recovery disk and borrowed one from my spouse. Her system booted from a system drive while my system booted from a SSD drive. After recovering my computer, it no longer boots from the SSD drive. What is the best...
  10. How to change boot drive from hdd to ssd?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to change boot drive from hdd to ssd?: One of the latest microsoft updates crashed my computer. As a result I had to get windows reinstalled in the repair shop. When I got my computer (laptop) back, I found that windows had been reinstalled on my hdd, not my ssd. I am looking to fix this now. I've already cloned...