Windows 10: Help with updates 1903 & 1909 - major issues

Discus and support Help with updates 1903 & 1909 - major issues in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I tried to read before posting this but it seems either I waited to long before asking or not many of you have had the same issues.... so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Zorbitron, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Zorbitron Win User

Help with updates 1903 & 1909 - major issues

Hello,

I tried to read before posting this but it seems either I waited to long before asking or not many of you have had the same issues.... so hopefully I will get an answer here....

Back in November I was "forced" to "upgrade" to 1903 (was running 1809 build 17763.1098... and still am !!)
    After 2 days of download, install, crash, reinstall, etc etc.... I ended with a laptop (HP Envy 17) that had MAJOR issues such as Internet connectivity issues (drivers incompatible), battery charging issues (plugged in not charging), WiFi icon changed and horribly confusing, and the list goes on... I forget all the other issues I had but suffice it to say that I hated my computer and it became extremely slow.....
    So I uninstalled the "update/upgrade" and went back to 1809..... all was good.... until yesterday.... when my computer started being very very slow again, couldn't open Chrome, Facebook, etc.... all timing out.... because the 1909 update was downloading in the background........ and then prompted me to restart to finish the install...... NO WAY !!!
    After a long time to fix that issue (delete download & install files, etc)... I was able t remove that prompt, download and install..... but..... it started again a few minutes ago.... I stopped the Windows Update Service.... and came here for your advice..... (BTW the plugged in not charging problem is back too !!!)

So here are the questions.....
    - Is 1909 better than 1903 was ??? And will all the issues I had with 1903 be the same with 1909??
    - If it is the same as 1903 and has same forced "upgrades" (which I hate and dont want) how can I prevent my laptop from downloading and installing 1909 ??

I fully understand that means I would not have any more updates from Windows (my version no longer supported) but I dont care... my laptop WAS working fine before Microsoft decided to force an update I dont want, dont need and only causes issues on my computer.

Thanks for your help and let me know if you have any questions or if I forgot any info.
    Z.

:)

Zorbitron, Mar 26, 2020
  2. deving Win User

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Mar 26, 2020
  3. Stevenvv# Win User
    Windows 10 1903 1909 repeated failure to update

Well would't you know it. I did everything, every step, all the suggestions, months of failed downloads and was going to wipe everything tomorrow and start again, but remembered I hadn't tried your suggestion of updating to 1809 before 1903/09, and blow
    me down, but it's updated to 1809 with ease!

I have yet to dare to try and get it to update to 1909 but it's the 1st progress in months, so thanks.

Stevenvv#, Mar 26, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Update of 1909 is offeree as option to update 1903

Hi John

The version 1909 update is not a major update, it is approx 300MB of an update which is equivalent to a cumulative update and does not contain any major new features

Microsoft, for some unknown reason made that update available as an optional update to PC's running 1809 and 1903. That update will automatically be installed on systems running versions that are out of support (1803 and previous)

You can if you wish install 1909 now or wait and it will eventually be installed automatically . . .

DaveM121, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Help with updates 1903 & 1909 - major issues - Similar Threads - Help updates 1903

2. Windows 10 1903 to 1909 and 20H2 Update Issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 1903 to 1909 and 20H2 Update Issues: So I am currently using Window 10 1903, I have tried to update for the past 3 months but comes up with "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909 - Error 0x800f0831". I have tried a few fixes listed as links below:...
  3. i need help for a major issue.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    i need help for a major issue.: so after the update that added the new microsoft edge, i have been unable to launch or install google chrome, the browser that has been my default browser for over 6 months. this has only happened since the update was downloaded 2 days ago, i have had no problems with opening...
  4. update 1909 from 1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    update 1909 from 1903: Dear all Do you meet update 1909 from 1903 is unsuccessful? Company have 20s Win10 Pro 1903 client. Last week I upgraded to 1909 used "Windows10.0-KB4517245-x64.cab" kb Windows10.0-KB4517245-x64.cab kb installed is successful. But only a client version is still 1903 from...
  5. The Microsoft updates 1909 & 1903 creates issues with internet connections

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The Microsoft updates 1909 & 1903 creates issues with internet connections: I have uninstalled all the 1909 & 1903 Microsoft updates except for one kbid=4549951 which seems will not uninstall. All due to the fact that laptop is connected to the wifi but these updates disconnects me from both Internet explorer and Chrome browsers. My other devices...
  6. Version 1903-1909 Update

Version 1903-1909 Update: Don't know how to contact the devs so I figured I'd post this here. Windows gave me the option to update to version 1909 even though it's "not ready", so once it finished installing it told me to restart. I restarted my PC, but it got stuck loading after it shut down it was...
  7. Win10 1903 and 1909 - MTP issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 1903 and 1909 - MTP issue: Hi There! I have an issue with MTP and Explorer after updating to Windows 10 1909 when I connect my phone to transfer files. I have noticed an error message "This folder is empty" when there is above 4000 images within the particular folder. It looks like there is a sort...
  8. updating failure for 1903 or 1909

updating failure for 1903 or 1909: Dated :- 3rd Dec 2019 Your device is missing important security and quality fixes. There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later. 2019-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4524570) - Error 0x80070017 Since...
  9. Update 1903 Major Sound Bug?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Update 1903 Major Sound Bug?: Hi, so i just recently updated my Windows to 1903 a week back, but i never really thought that it would affect anything in my system or drivers itself. After the Update's been done and processed in my PC, i detected that my sound quality coming from my headset was low, i...
  10. Major Bug in Windows Update 1903

Major Bug in Windows Update 1903: After update 1903 I find a major bug.When Gaming Dvr is on it always usage CPU and when turn off it does not using CPU.I update also two cummulative update but the problem not fixed.I also report this bug to microsoft but no reponse.Please check your pc and reply your pc is...