Windows 10: Help with User data folder left from previous laptop owner

Discus and support Help with User data folder left from previous laptop owner in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi I hope someone can help me .. I had a laptop, on which the main SSD drive died...for reasons I cannot go into we needed to replace the laptop... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by tamtee, Jun 14, 2020.

1. tamtee Win User

Help with User data folder left from previous laptop owner

Hi I hope someone can help me ..

I had a laptop, on which the main SSD drive died...for reasons I cannot go into we needed to replace the laptop shell with a used one.. and then just add new SSD disk. We had the replacment drive fitted by professional, it was supposed to be new, but wasnt it was used ...

They set it all up for us, BUT frustratingly in win Explorer, where my User files are located, in a folder that SHOULD by my name as I'm the sole user and administrator there is currently a folder called C:\Users\ AUsername

For privacy reasons not incl their name so as you can see my name is NOT that Username ...

You see that Username we believe to be the name of the previous owner of this laptop, AND this hard drive
    hard drive, as I said above when we purchased this laptop, the hard drive was supposed to be brand new.

I understand you may have questions, but I have been deliverately vague for legal reasons, Its a long story and one I do not wish to discuss in a public forum .

Some Extra Info
    Under System Info ..everything looks fine Those are all showing my CORRECT info..so for example:

Computer Name
    Workgroup Name
    etc

- Microsft Acct: The technician set up a 'New Microsoft Acct' & all that is accurate as in my name is correct etc

- There are NO other user accts showig on this Laptop

Windows Version: Win 10 ver 1903 ( OS Build 18362.900)

Specs: My main Specs are in my Profile

Thank You in advance for your time and support

Kind Regards

:)

tamtee, Jun 14, 2020

2. I couldn't access a shared folder between the laptop and the PC?- Windows 10.

When I try to access the shared folder on the laptop I get prompt for the Networking Login; User Name & Password.

Entering one of the two User names and passwords I have, doesn't work, which normally in the past would work.

In your Method 2, I don't have a tab called Owner in Windows10 for the folder causing all the trouble ?

StraightWorld, Jun 14, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

If not the best way to do that but at least the way I recommend:

• "Empty" your user profile folders as much as you can, copying documents, pics, videos, music and all other personal data from all user profiles to external HDD. As following steps require you to relocate Users folder two times, the less data is left in user profile folders, the faster the relocation process. Important: Leave system folder AppData for each profile intact, do not empty / move its content!
    • Reverse the relocating, doing exactly as told in tutorial Method Two but this time relocating Users folder back to C: drive
    • Shut down the PC, replace the disk where you had Users relocated
    • Mount the new disk, boot to Windows, assign new disk the same drive ID letter than the old one had
    • Again, do as told in Method Two, now relocating Users to new disk
    • Restore the backed up personal user data from external drive to respective folders under each user profile

4. Help with User data folder left from previous laptop owner

Unknown User as Owner

Hi Bree, thanks for stepping up to address this issue.
    As far as I know my External Drive has only been used on my PC.

I could try to implement your suggestion and take Ownership of those Folders.
    The "Take Ownership" link is present in my right click menu, but I'm currently logged in with my Microsoft account, so perhaps it would be better if I went Properties --> Security --> Advanced & set the Owner to Administrators, no?!

Although my mind is bugged with a new question now.
    If I change the Owner & later on I have to restore a backup (Acronis on a CD) won't I encounter problems then?

witten1972, Jun 14, 2020
Thema:

Help with User data folder left from previous laptop owner

1. Help with User data folder left from previous laptop owner - Similar Threads - Help User data

2. Reset a surface pro 3 from a previous owner

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset a surface pro 3 from a previous owner: I recently got a Surface Pro 3 that belonged to a friend that is deceased. I would like to completely erase and reinstall windows 10? on it. I does not work, states missing driver, etc and when I tried the reinstall, the primary partition is bit locked. I am stuck. Looking...
  3. Reset a surface pro 3 from a previous owner

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reset a surface pro 3 from a previous owner: I recently got a Surface Pro 3 that belonged to a friend that is deceased. I would like to completely erase and reinstall windows 10? on it. I does not work, states missing driver, etc and when I tried the reinstall, the primary partition is bit locked. I am stuck. Looking...
  4. Reset a surface pro 3 from a previous owner

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Remove previous owner's Microsoft account from Dell laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove previous owner's Microsoft account from Dell laptop: I was given a Dell laptop, the previous owner is now back in the US, I am in Thailand.When I go to Settings - Accounts his name comes up under 'Administrator'I am logged in with my Microsoft account.How do I remove him as the Administrator ?Thanks in advance.........
  6. Remove previous owner's Microsoft account from Dell laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove previous owner's Microsoft account from Dell laptop: I was given a Dell laptop, the previous owner is now back in the US, I am in Thailand.When I go to Settings - Accounts his name comes up under 'Administrator'I am logged in with my Microsoft account.How do I remove him as the Administrator ?Thanks in advance.........
  7. Remove previous owner's Microsoft account from Dell laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Help with User data folder left from previous laptop owner

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with User data folder left from previous laptop owner: Hi I hope someone can help me .. I had a laptop, on which the main SSD drive died...for reasons I cannot go into we needed to replace the laptop shell with a used one.. and then just add new SSD disk. We had the replacment drive fitted by professional, it was supposed to be...
  9. remove previous owners account from device

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    remove previous owners account from device: hi community i purchased my second-hand laptop from a friend of a friend and i no longer have and cannot presently contact with the seller. I am trying to add my Microsoft account to the device but unfortunately the account belonging to the previous owner is still present....
  10. HELP - previous laptop owner stll "alive and well" in file structure!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HELP - previous laptop owner stll "alive and well" in file structure!: Hi, I hope you can help me. I have early Alzheimer's Disease and unfortunately, my IT knowledge and abilities are waning today. My father purchased a refurbished HP Notebook PC. After using it for months, he needed to run a system restore. At that time I discovered his...