Windows 10: Help with Windows 10 restarting when I select shut down

Discus and support Help with Windows 10 restarting when I select shut down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've got an older desktop PC that I still use. I used to run Win 7 on this machine and upgraded it to Win 10 a few months ago. Everything was fine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by scott784, Sep 12, 2019.

1. scott784 Win User

Help with Windows 10 restarting when I select shut down

I've got an older desktop PC that I still use. I used to run Win 7 on this machine and upgraded it to Win 10 a few months ago. Everything was fine until recently.

Now I've got a very obnoxious issue. When I select "shut down" the computer restarts instead. To get around this , I have to press (and hold down the power button) on the computer to force the power off. But now, even that method won't work. I am wondering if the computer is actually crashing each time I select "shut down"? But I don't see any error messages and the PC jumps back on the desk top very quick. But this is a problem I need to resolve. The only option I seem to have right now is to put the computer to sleep, unless, of course, I just unplug it from the wall! I've gone into settings, but I cannot see any options to fix this. The option is already checked for the PC to "shut down" when I select that option. Thanks for any replies here.

:)

scott784, Sep 12, 2019
  2. ilgoldman Win User

Random shut down and restart??

Computer: Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual cpu
    E220@2.406hz
    2.42 GHZ, 2.00 GB of RAM
    Windows xp

Ever since I replaced the fan (with heat sink) the computer has randomly shut down and then restarted, at first during streaming, and now, will shut down and restart anytime. I tried to replace the graphics card to no avail. *Confused Help with Windows 10 restarting when I select shut down :confused:*Mad Help with Windows 10 restarting when I select shut down :mad:

One suggestion was to replace the RAM.

Any suggestions on how to repair my computer?

ilgoldman, Sep 12, 2019
  3. Cake5 Win User
    Laptop restarts when i try to shut down

What methods have you used to shut it down? The usual ways are to open Start, click the power icon and then choose Shut Down. Alternatively you can go onto the desktop and press Alt+F4 to open the shut down/restart dialog. Third,
    type "shut down" into the Start search and click the "shut down" entry.

Also see
    this forum post
    from 2015. Microsoft staff member answer below copied from linked:

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) Except mouse and the keyboard and then try to shut down.

Method 2:

I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the left pane, click on
      View All.
    • Click on Power to run the troubleshooter.
    Method 3:

If the above method doesn’t help, I suggest you to reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back to their default settings. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes, and then press
      ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, type exit to exit the Command Prompt window.
    • Restart the computer and check with the issue.
    Method 4: Clean boot

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are

causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot"
    in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you

Ravindra R Kamath

Microsoft Community

Cake5, Sep 12, 2019
  4. Erika Aro Win User

laptop auto restart even after after shut down of the laptop in windows 10 1703.

Hi Joydeep,

When Windows 10 restarts after selecting Shutdown, this could mean that something crashed during the process of shutting down which made the device restart. We'd like to ask a few questions to help us out on resolving this:

• Did you try to shut it down again after it goes back up?
    • After installing Windows 10 Creators Update, did you check if there are any updates running in the background?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Did you encounter any errors while installing?

Erika Aro, Sep 12, 2019
Thema:

1. Help with Windows 10 restarting when I select shut down - Similar Threads - Help restarting select

2. Shut down or restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shut down or restart: Occasionally when I try to shut down or restart after an update I get this message. I tried going to Task Manager and ending process. Doesn't change anything. It doesn't happen all the time. How can I stop it, kinda annoying.Please Adviseleahcimj...
  3. Shut down or restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shut down or restart: Occasionally when I try to shut down or restart after an update I get this message. I tried going to Task Manager and ending process. Doesn't change anything. It doesn't happen all the time. How can I stop it, kinda annoying.Please Adviseleahcimj...
  4. Since when did Shut down and Restart stop actually shutting down or restarting the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Since when did Shut down and Restart stop actually shutting down or restarting the...: Road to hell is paved with good intentions? How thought this was a good idea? If I shut down and reboot, I shouldn't be able to see all the damn applications I had open when I launch it back up. That's not shut down. Sometimes when I boot, something gets borked and I can't...
  5. Restart + Shutting down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restart + Shutting down: Hey guys, nice to see you. I have problem with windows restart and shut down. Everytime I try to restart or shut down my PC from windows menu it stuck on restarting / shutting down screen.And I need to force restart/shut down from the physical button on the Pc case. I cant go...
  6. Restart + Shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restart + Shutting down: Hey guys, nice to see you. I have problem with windows restart and shut down. Everytime I try to restart or shut down my PC from windows menu it stuck on restarting / shutting down screen.And I need to force restart/shut down from the physical button on the Pc case. I cant go...
  7. Windows 10 Sleeps After Selects Shut Down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Sleeps After Selects Shut Down: Greetings! After I reinstalled Windows 10, I realized that when ever I select shut down in the start menu, its goes to deep sleep instead shutting down. What caused this? How can I fix it? Also, I realized whenever I close the lid, for a while, it goes into deep sleep,...
  8. PC restart when shut down

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC restart when shut down: My PC just started to restart when I press turn off idk why and it’s never happened before it’s just like I press shut down go for a sec and when I back the pc like restarted it’s not happening sec time like when I click turn off again it’s shutting down but the problem is...
  9. restarts when shut down

restarts when shut down: I have a problem with shutdown my laptop restarts whenever I shutdown or power off my pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restarts-when-shut-down/a2cc7d92-bc0e-4838-85af-70e1ca295558
  10. Windows 10 Shut down and restart

Windows 10 Shut down and restart: Shut down and restart not working in Windows 10. Everytime I had to press power button to shut down. Battery drains even after powering off. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-shut-down-and-restart/a8c8a9f1-3591-4bf4-aa54-c2301f899a7e