Windows 10: Help with Windows User File Names

Discus and support Help with Windows User File Names in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello All, When I first installed Windows 10 in August, the User File name was C:/Users/15135/AppData/..... Somehow, and I don't remember how, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DougQED, Dec 4, 2019.

1. DougQED Win User

Help with Windows User File Names

Hello All,

When I first installed Windows 10 in August, the User File name was C:/Users/15135/AppData/.....

Somehow, and I don't remember how, I changed the file name to C:/Users/Doug/AppData/.....

Everything was fine.

I do not allow Windows updates, but in November I got aggravated being bombarded with Microsoft Office Update messages and allowed MS Office to update. The Windows 10 Update apparently sneaked in. I know, because then I started getting bombarded with the "We're going to ruin your very productive day by restarting Windows unless you click this icon" pop-up message.

Ever since then, whenever I tried to insert a header or footer in MSWord, I get several pop-ups telling me they can't find a file in C:/Users/Doug/AppData....

No big deal, because I was still able to insert/edit/delete headers and footers.

But today, I went to install software from a CD-ROM and it keeps telling me it can't find the v8.msi file in C:/Users/Doug/AppData/Temp...

I cannot find C:/Users/Doug/,....and I noted Windows Update apparently changed the file name back to C:/Users/15134/AppData....

I've spent the last 6 hours surfing the web trying to identify what this problem is and how to resolve it with no success.

Via Control Panel User Account I found a screen for User Variables and noted a TEMP USER and a TMP USER,

I'm guessing one or the other shouldn't be there, so do I merge them and how do I do that? Or do I delete one and if so which one and how do I do that without messing things up? Or is it possible to rename the file back to C:/Users/Doug/....because there's no longer an option to rename that file.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

:)

DougQED, Dec 4, 2019

2. How to change User name on Windows 10

Hi Davit,

I will certainly help you in changing the User name on Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to change the User name:

• Press Windows logo + R keys to open the run command, type
      netplwiz
      and click on Ok.
    • On the Users tab, click on Properties to change the user name and then click on
      Apply.
    Kindly get back to us for any further assistance on Windows 10. We will be glad to help.

Thank you.

Sudeep Aprameyan, Dec 4, 2019
  3. Change the user name in Windows 10

Hi Rick,

Thank you for writing us back.

Are both the accounts are admin account?

I would suggest you to go through the below steps:

Steps: To determine the user account type:

• Login to any account.

• Press Windows key+X.

• Click on Control Panel.

• Click on User accounts.

• Your user account will show and below that it will show your local account or admin account.

• Once you know about the account type.

• You can go to user account and change the name.

• Press Windows key+R.

• Type netplwiz and press enter.

• Select the account and click on properties.

• Change the user name and click on apply and then ok and one more time click on ok on the main screen.

• Reboot the computer and check if it helps

I hope this helps. Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Shubham Chaubey, Dec 4, 2019
  4. Help with Windows User File Names

user name change

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing some issues using Windows 10.

I would suggest you to follow the steps given below and check if that helps.

• Press Windows + X key.

• Click on control panel.

• Click on user accounts.

• Click on change your account name.
    Change the name as per your according and restart the computer.

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Mayank Gupta10, Dec 4, 2019
Thema:

Help with Windows User File Names

1. Help with Windows User File Names - Similar Threads - Help User File

2. Change User File Name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change User File Name: my system was set up buy the the people putting it together.my name was misspelled and i would like to correct it.this is a windows 11 system I was a some how able to change my profile name as the admin.in the registry it has my correct name - just the user file on C: Drive...
  3. Change User File Name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change User File Name: my system was set up buy the the people putting it together.my name was misspelled and i would like to correct it.this is a windows 11 system I was a some how able to change my profile name as the admin.in the registry it has my correct name - just the user file on C: Drive...
  4. Updating name on User file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Updating name on User file: Hello, I've seen several post about this subject but for older versions of Windows. As the directions normally require a registry edit I wanted to make sure an easier solution had not been discovered. For some reason my local user file is missing the last letter in my name....
  5. User file name

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    User file name: okay there was that problem that I tried to change the user file name as it contained a trademark symbol and this wasn't compatible with android studio SDK, so I followed a video on youtube and it totally erased many many things, like the programs in taskbar, the browser, the...
  6. Help Consolidating Files Under One User Name

Help Consolidating Files Under One User Name: - I have multiple Microsoft usernames and want to combine all my folders, files, pictures, and apps under one username. After a crash on my previous computer, the name of the user me was truncated - for example: aaabbbccc@**** to aabbc. I now have a new computer. Even though...
  7. User File Name Change

User File Name Change: I was wondering if there was any way to change the user file name https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-file-name-change/3ccd48c5-aeb4-4eae-a7bb-6accc2165d01"
  8. Change User file name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change User file name: Hi During a complete reinstall somehow a user file name got changed C:\Users\X it should have been C:\Users\Richard how do I change it back? Thanks for any help. Rich 116571
  9. Change User file name

in Windows 10 Support
    Change User file name: Hi During a complete reinstall somehow a user file name got changed C:\Users\X it should have been C:\Users\Richard how do I change it back? Thanks for any help. Rich 116571
  10. Help sorting user account name?

in Windows 10 Support
    Help sorting user account name?: Ok here is my dilemma. It may not be a dilemma at all so I’m looking to understand. I usually sign in with my Microsoft account on all PCs. This creates a user folder with the name klepp for whatever reason. My username as per here ^ is . I’m trying to determine what...