Windows 10: Helping a Friend work out his BSOD issues.

Discus and support Helping a Friend work out his BSOD issues. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've created and account on this forum in order to help a friend oversea's in the U.K. work out and issue he is having with his new PC. He is not the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Tao, Dec 30, 2016.

1. TAO
    Tao Win User

Helping a Friend work out his BSOD issues.

I've created and account on this forum in order to help a friend oversea's in the U.K. work out and issue he is having with his new PC. He is not the most computer savvy so I'm doing my best to help him but I can't figure out why he is having the issue he is having. Multiple crashes of the systems Kernal with no clear reason for it and they are very random. Sometimes every 20 minutes and sometimes only once a day. I've had him change out the video card with a second one as well as the ram with another set with no resolution. All information on this account regarding PC spec's are his spec's not mine. I've collected serval of his .dmp files into a .zip file and am hoping someone who is better at reading them then myself can help. I believe these .dmp files are all from after I had him swap the video card so that is the one part that is not the same as is on this account but I feel that can be ruled out at this point along with the Ram. Thank you for any help you can give. Note: Bios is up to date along with video drivers and audio drivers and any othe driver we could think to update.

:)

2. Helping a friend connect

The simplest way to access the web with a Nokia phone is to use Ovi suite with the phone connected via usb and select connect to the internet on Ovi suite !

If no security is set on Joikuspot, you should be able to connect, but need to go to connection settings on pc and set it to 'Home' or 'work' network

Good Luck

carman58---01, Dec 30, 2016
  3. fardawg Win User
    Helping a friend connect

Seeking some help on behalf of a friend who need some assistance with his new N8.

1. I also have an N8 and suggested he get Joiku Spot in order to turn his phone into a wifi hotspot. He did (basic version for now) but cannot get his PC (Win XP) to connect. His computer SEES the wireless signal from his N8 but he can't load any web
    pages at all. I, however, am able to connect my computer via HIS N8 with no problem, so we both know it's a setting or something on his XP machine. Again, his computer recognizes the N8's wireless Joikuspot broadcast, but won't connect to the internet.

2. Since he also has internet built into his voice SIM, can he tether his N8 via USB cable to allow access to the internet? The N8 user's guide doesn't touch on that, unless I simply overlooked that part. I've seen postings here that say it's possible.
    I'd appreciate a walkthrough with the tethering procedures so I can show my buddy how to do it.

Thanks in advance for the help with Joiku AND the tethering questions.....I look forward to your collective knowledge !!

fardawg, Dec 30, 2016
  4. TAO
    Tao Win User

I got my friend to make the file requested by the forum. I think he did it right or at the least least I hope so.

5. Ztruker Win User
    I don't see much in the dumps unfortunately, but I did find this in teh event log:
    Code: Event[7100]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Boot Date: 2016-12-31T12:34:07.805 Event ID: 29 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-QGJPV8E Description: Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC0000001.[/quote] Disable Fast Startup and see if that resolves your problem: How to Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

Ztruker, Dec 30, 2016
  6. TAO
    Tao Win User
    Thank you for your reply. I'm afraid that even after he turned off the fast boot the issue still persisted. He has had 3 more blue screens since turning off the fast boot and once the PC simply reset without a blue screen. I'm going to post the last 3 BSOD .dmp files from his PC here in the hopes someone might find something in them that might help. As a side note, he has now reinstalled the 1060 video card into the PC so everything on this account now matches his PC.

7. lifetec Win User
    One of the dumpfile is
    Code: BugCheck A, {e0abee2c, 2, 0, fffff802877875fc} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for rt640x64.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for rt640x64.sys Probably caused by : memory_corruption[/quote] rt640x64.sys

Driver Description: Realtek NICDRV 8169 PCIe GBE Family Controller driver
    Driver Update Site: Realtek

The other 2 are
    Code: BugCheck A, {ffffc58000000000, 2, 0, fffff801bdd21695} Probably caused by : memory_corruption Followup: memory_corruption ---------[/quote] Usual causes:* Kernel mode driver, System Service, BIOS, Windows, Virus scanner, Backup tool, compatibility

Start with updating or remove these older drivers/programs.
    AODDriver2 Tue Feb 11 12:06:52 2014 (52FA044C)
    Driver Description: AMD Overdrive; also in EasyTune6 for Gigabyte motherboard
    Known BSOD issues in Win7

Part of AMD Fuel

Location: C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Fuel\amd64\AODDriver2.sys
    Driver Update Site: Gaming With AMD

AsrRamDisk Mon May 19 11:56:13 2014
    Driver Description: ASUS RamDisk Driver
    Driver Update Site: http://support.asus.com/download/opt...uage=en&type=1

RTKVHD64 Tue Sep 15 16:12:36 20154 = realtek high definition audio driver

lifetec, Dec 31, 2016
  8. TAO
    Tao Win User

Thank you for your reply. I feel this will be very helpful. I will have him update the Realtek NICDRV 8169 PCIe GBE Family Controller driver and uninstall the AMD Overdrive for now as well. I'm not 100% sure if you were trying to say that there was something wrong with the realtek high definition audio driver but no harm in making sure that is up-to-date as well. The only confusion I am having is with the ASUS RamDisk Driver I am not clear on what hardware this is referring to and the link given goes only to the support page. I just want to be sure that I'm giving the right right file here as this file seems to be firmware and giving him the wrong file could cause bigger issues. I was hoping for a more descriptive link or directions that will take me to the driver that is required. It would be greatly appreciated.

9. TAO
    Tao Win User
    I've updated the driver besides the one mentioned in the post above. As far as I can tell I've updated the drivers accordingly. Unfortunately, the issues still seem it continue and the BSOD seem to be very ramdom other then the cause always being the ntoskrnl.exe (kernal) . I've taken three more .dmp from today in the hopes that one of might shed a bit more light on this issue. Thank you again for to anyone willing to take another look at theses files.

10. Ztruker Win User
    Two of the latest dumps show memory_corruption, one shows a power problem, on resume from hibernate I think.

Since there are no pointers to a specific driver being the problem, there are some things you can do to further debug this problem.

First, test your ram. You have 16GB of ram so a full test of at least 8 complete passes will take 12 or more hours so start it at night and let it run. Please post a picture of the screen after 8 passes.
    ===================================================
    Follow this tutorial: MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

MemTest86+ is a diagnostic tool designed to test Random Access Memory (RAM) for faults. MemTest86+ will verify that:

• RAM will accept and keep random patterns of data sent to it
    • There are no errors when different parts of memory try to interact
    • There are no conflicts between memory addresses

Memtest86+ runs from bootable media to isolate the RAM from the system, no other components are taken into account during the test.

Helping a Friend work out his BSOD issues. [​IMG]
    Warning MemTest86+ needs to run for at least 8 passes to be anywhere near conclusive, anything less will not give a complete analysis of the RAM.

If you are asked to run MemTest86+ by a Ten Forums member make sure you run the full 8 passes for conclusive results. If you run less than 8 passes you will be asked to run it again.

Note MemTest86+ has been known to discover errors in RAM in later passes than the eighth pass. This is for information only; if you feel there is a definite problem with the RAM and 8 passes have shown no errors feel free to continue for longer.

Running 8 passes of MemTest86+ is a long and drawn out exercise and the more RAM you have the longer it will take. It's recommended to run MemTest86+ just before you go to bed and leave it overnight.

If that doesn't show a problem then enable Driver Verifier. Maybe that will show us the driver causing a problem.
    ===================================================
    Driver Verifier
    is a diagnostic tool built into Windows 10, it is designed to verify both native Microsoft drivers and third party drivers. Driver Verifier's verification process involves putting heavy stress on drivers with the intention of making bad, outdated, incompatible or misbehaving drivers fail. The required result is a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) which will generate a crash dump for debugging purposes.
    Machines exposed to Driver Verifier will run very sluggishly due to the stress being applied to the drivers.

Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable in Windows 10

Pay close attention to

PART TWO

and make sure the correct boxes are checked.

Warning:
    It is not advised to run Driver Verifier for more than 48 hours at a time. Disable Driver Verifier after 48 hours or after receiving a BSOD, whichever happens soonest.

Always create a Restore Point prior to enabling Driver Verifier.

What we're looking for is a BSOD with a mini dump that will tell us what driver caused it.

Ztruker, Jan 1, 2017
  11. TAO
    Tao Win User
    Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I finally have what you were asking for. I've packed all files into a single Zip file.

12. Ztruker Win User
    Memory looks okay. Have him setup Driver Verifier as described, see if that gives us a BSOD with more info.

Ztruker, Jan 8, 2017
  13. TAO
    Tao Win User

Ok, I was fairly sure that the first time we did have the Driver Verifier running but to be 100% sure I had him run it again. The issue being that while the Driver Verifier is running the PC seems to do fine and ran idle for 48 hours without issue. much like before. The PC only seems to Blue screen When he is playing a game sure a short while. I want to think it's overheating but we have looked that the Temps Via SpeedFan(which is uninstalled as of right now as we weren't sure it wasn't causing issues). But the CPU never went above 65c best I can remember. I'm going to post the latest .Dmp file then we got after the Verifier ran 48 hours then I had him play a game for a short time before it crashed. Thank you again for any reply. We have been fighting with this thing for some time now to be honest.

14. Ztruker Win User
    Your iaStor.sys is old, old, old: 2011/04/11 19:48:16 C:\Windows\system32\drivers\iaStorV.sys

I found an interesting thread here: Intel Matrix Storage and Windows 10 BSOD at Boot (Solved) with some ways to resolve problems with it. Read it over and see if any of it makes sense to try.

Also, if the PC has a 1.44Mb floppy drive, try disabling it in BIOS Setup and/or Device Manager. See if that has any effect.

One or more of the RAID drivers are old as well. If you are running ion RAID mode in BIOS, try switching to AHCI (as long as you do not have a RAID hard drive setup).

Ztruker, Jan 11, 2017
  15. TAO
    Tao Win User
    We looked for different versions of the iaStorV.sys driver to test but I'm not sure this PC would even use this driver as it's an intel Driver and this is an AMD PC but we did look into it. The PC does not have a floppy drive installed and it was also already set to AHCI in the Bios. We tried it on RAID as well for a bit but it didn't seem to change anything. Thank you for your Reply all the same and Will try any suggestions anyone is willing to give. I'll add a few new BSOD .DMP files with this post though I so see any new information in them from what I can tell but I'm not that great at reading them. Thanks and for anyone willing to take a look.

Thema:

1. Helping a Friend work out his BSOD issues. - Similar Threads - Helping Friend BSOD

2. BSOD issue with a friend's computer.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD issue with a friend's computer.: Hello, I'm not sure if anyone would be able to take a look at some DMP files I've compiled of a friend's crash reports from getting the dreaded BSOD. This is primarily occurring when they're gaming and I'm kind of at a loss as to what could be the issue right now. I'm unable...
  3. BSOD issue with a friend's computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD issue with a friend's computer.: Hello, I'm not sure if anyone would be able to take a look at some DMP files I've compiled of a friend's crash reports from getting the dreaded BSOD. This is primarily occurring when they're gaming and I'm kind of at a loss as to what could be the issue right now. I'm unable...
  4. BSOD issue with a friend's computer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Need help for a friend who can no longer access his documents

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help for a friend who can no longer access his documents: I have been trying for about a week or so to help a friend with his computer. It's a fairly old computer about 8 years old and it has been having issues recently. The files like the files in the Documents folder for instance were not able to viewed in Windows Explorer when...
  6. Friend gave me a pc, and I can't sign in even with his help. Help?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Friend gave me a pc, and I can't sign in even with his help. Help?: It is an account synced with his other account his used for his personal pc. However, the password and secuirty questions aren't working. He even signed out and back in. The account has 2 PCs registered to it, one of which is his. He only has 2 computers so the chance of it...
  7. My friend logged into his computer under his name but isnt his account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    My friend logged into his computer under his name but isnt his account: I don't know really how to describe this. My friend has turned his computer off and on several times. He signs on and clicks to log in. It shows his name, but the background is back to the standard background, all his settings are reset to default, and his files and programs...
  8. Help!!!! Friend gave us computer that still has his password

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help!!!! Friend gave us computer that still has his password: He told us it would be easy to reset it and get rid of his accounts but here we are a couple months later and still not luck in resetting. It is a home built gaming computer. We have tried the BIOS menu and boot menu like he asked and have nothing. Any other options. The...
  9. Friend is giving me his motherboard

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Friend is giving me his motherboard: From what I know and have read, Win 10 is tied to the motherboard. If I inherit his motherboard, changing a lot of other things, will I need to purchase a new Windows 10 license or can I just reactivate the one tied to his old motherboard? submitted by /u/MeekMillMorty...
  10. my friend has problem with his pc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    my friend has problem with his pc: Hello, my name is Ibrahim my friend has strange problem when he use his pc show many icon bug on screen like next image [ATTACH] after that bluescreen DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION I have search about bluescreen but I don't find anything for windows 10 Anyone has the solution....