Windows 10: Here is another reason to avoid "check for updates" in Windows 10

Discus and support Here is another reason to avoid "check for updates" in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 and updates, a never ending story. Michael Fortin, Corporate Vice President, Windows, revealed insights about the update testing and vetting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Dec 14, 2018.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Here is another reason to avoid "check for updates" in Windows 10

Windows 10 and updates, a never ending story. Michael Fortin, Corporate Vice President, Windows, revealed insights about the update testing and vetting process at Microsoft this week.

Microsoft releases cumulative updates on the second Tuesday of each month and refers to these updates as "B" releases. The company may also release updates in the third or fourth week of a given month, and refers to these as "C" or "D" releases.

These "C" and "D" updates are preview releases according to Fortin. Preview releases are releases that are still in testing; they will be delivered to devices on the next "B" release along with security updates automatically if automatic updates has not been disabled.

Here is another reason to avoid "check for updates" in Windows 10 windows-check-for-updates.png

So-called "C" and "D" releases can be downloaded and installed by any Windows user by running a manual check for updates. In other words: if you select "check for updates", you may get pre-release updates that are none-security in nature, on stable versions of Windows.

We also release optional updates in the third and fourth weeks of the month, respectively known as “C” and “D” releases. These are preview releases, primarily for commercial customers and advanced users “seeking” updates.

These updates have only non-security fixes. The intent of these releases is to provide visibility into, and enable testing of, the non-security fixes that will be included in the next Update Tuesday release. Advanced users can access the “C” and “D” releases by navigating to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and clicking the “Check for updates” box. The “D” release has proven popular for those “seeking” to validate the non-security content of the next “B” release.

If you activate "check for updates", pre-release updates may be installed on the device. Microsoft displays no warning prompt or notification to users that they may install pre-release updates when they use the "check for updates" button to run a manual check for updates.

Microsoft should highlight the fact to users of the operating system; a prompt to allow or block pre-release updates needs to be added to the manual update check. While some users may like to get updates as early as possible, others don't want beta software on their devices.

The only thing that you can do about it right now is to never-ever, click on "check for updates" in Windows. (via Forbes and How To Geek (I did not read the latter but Forbes links to it so it probably got the story from the site)

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Here is another reason to avoid "check for updates" in Windows 10 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Dec 14, 2018
  2. MrGenius Win User

Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

Well, at the moment at least, you can choose to defer upgrades. Under Settings > Windows Updates > Advanced options you need to check the box labeled "Defer upgrades". What does that do? Good question. The answer I've found might illuminate it to a degree.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

I hear this only applies to Pro and Enterprise editions. But I can't verify that.

MrGenius, Dec 14, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 14, 2018
  4. Here is another reason to avoid "check for updates" in Windows 10

New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Dec 14, 2018
Thema:

Here is another reason to avoid "check for updates" in Windows 10

1. Here is another reason to avoid "check for updates" in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Here another reason

2. Another site copying from here

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Another site copying from here: I've just seen this, and was not sure where to post about it.I'd made a topic on answers here and just recently seen it was copy/pasted using my name on another site I've never been to.The topic here:Share laptop WiFi via ethernet cable to PCThe topic on the other...
  3. Another site copying from here

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Another site copying from here: I've just seen this, and was not sure where to post about it.I'd made a topic on answers here and just recently seen it was copy/pasted using my name on another site I've never been to.The topic here:Share laptop WiFi via ethernet cable to PCThe topic on the other...
  4. how to avoid windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to avoid windows update: how to avoid windows 11 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-avoid-windows-update/db8acb73-d90a-403f-975e-8fabe234c124
  5. how to avoid windows update

how to avoid windows update: how to avoid windows 11 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-avoid-windows-update/db8acb73-d90a-403f-975e-8fabe234c124
  6. Can't install win10 for some reasons. Here's the video. Also check my answer down there....

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't install win10 for some reasons. Here's the video. Also check my answer down there....: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Belzebasss [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jo6cl0/cant_install_win10_for_some_reasons_heres_the/
  7. Here’s another look at Microsoft’s modular Windows 10 X

in Windows 10 News
    Here’s another look at Microsoft’s modular Windows 10 X: Windows 10 X, which is a ‘brand new expression’ of Microsoft’s Windows operating system, would be ready for consumers in 2020. Windows 10 X has been created for a new breed of devices with at least two displays and Microsoft’s own Surface Neo could be one of the few PCs to...
  8. Not seeing Windows 10 May 2019 Update? Here are the possible reasons

in Windows 10 News
    Not seeing Windows 10 May 2019 Update? Here are the possible reasons: Microsoft confirmed on last Tuesday that it has begun making the Windows 10 May 2019 Update generally available, but the update is apparently not showing on PCs with incompatible services running. Many users have claimed on Twitter and Reddit that the update doesn’t show up...
  9. What is the **reason** that "Windows can't make a shortcut here" ?

in Windows 10 Support
    What is the **reason** that "Windows can't make a shortcut here" ?: I need to reduce the volume of my C:\ drive by about half; it is a 222GB partition of an SSD drive at the moment. My plan is just to move as many folders that are today in C:\ to the internal non-SSD drive of my laptop, and replace the folders with "shortcuts" to the real...
  10. Windows 10 & Avoiding Crapware

Windows 10 & Avoiding Crapware: In a recent ZDNet article "Avoid Windows 10 crapware: How to get rid of Candy Crush and all the rest," the author, Ed Bott, states that there are two options for avoiding crapware. At present, I sign in on my PC with my personal Outlook.com credentials. My Office 365...