Windows 10: Here is why free upgrades to Windows 10 still work

Discus and support Here is why free upgrades to Windows 10 still work in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; When Microsoft launched Windows 10 in 2015, it revealed that devices with legitimate Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 licenses could be upgraded to the new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 30, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Here is why free upgrades to Windows 10 still work

When Microsoft launched Windows 10 in 2015, it revealed that devices with legitimate Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 licenses could be upgraded to the new operating system free of charge for the first year.

The company pushed harder and harder to get devices running earlier versions of Windows 10 to upgrade to Windows 10.

The company extended the free upgrade offer to devices with accessibility technology and ended that officially in December 2017.

Here is why free upgrades to Windows 10 still work windows-10-upgrade-660x428.jpg

We tested the free upgrade process several times after the official end of the period and discovered that free upgrades were still possible. Windows customers who run Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 devices can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free, even in late 2019.

Microsoft never revealed why that option remained available, but the company did not terminate the option either. A user on Reddit, who claims to be a Microsoft employee, provided an answer yesterday.

Note: The user has not been verified as a Microsoft employee and it is possible that the information that is provided is incorrect.

According to the post, Microsoft ended the free upgrade offer because of pressure from retailers. Microsoft announced that customers needed a paid license after the upgrade offer expired but this was never enforced behind the scenes.

I work at Microsoft and have been since before the Windows 10 launch. That whole "free" upgrade for a year was fully marketing fluff. After the cut off happened, the direction given was that it requires a paid license HOWEVER, this was brought up by the brick and mortar stores that they were doing simple clock changes on customer devices during the upgrade challenge to get around it and then ultimately it was clear two years later that anything Windows 7 and up would go to 10 fully activated and still to this day.

One reason for that was that Microsoft executives were focused on the 1 billion devices goal for the operating system and that the number of upgrades was more important to Microsoft than the licensing fees that it would get from sold licenses.

WDG didn't care pretty much at all because Terry Meyerson at the time cared more about his upgrade stats than license revenue as Windows isn't Microsoft's cash cow anymore. It's the same stance back in the day where Microsoft would allow Windows Updates on pirated copies of Windows 7 as the bigger picture was to thwart security threats based from those copies.

In other words: Microsoft stated publicly that the free upgrade offer ended but did not end it behind the scenes.

The explanation appears plausible but requires validation before it can be taken at face value. Windows 10 might see a push in January 2020 when Windows 7 support runs out for Home users. These may be able to upgrade to the Windows 10 operating system for free then as it seems unlikely that Microsoft will block the ability in the coming two months.

Now You: What is your take on the explanation? (via Born)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Here is why free upgrades to Windows 10 still work appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 30, 2019
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Nov 30, 2019
  3. Mussels Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Nov 30, 2019
  4. Monk.e83 Win User

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Nov 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Here is why free upgrades to Windows 10 still work - Similar Threads - Here why free

2. Why does the free upgrade to Windows 10 still work?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why does the free upgrade to Windows 10 still work?: Yesterday I upgraded my Windows 7 PC to Windows 10 for free. I used the tool to install Windows 10 available on the Microsoft site. Now my PC has Windows 10 activated with a digital license and everything is working fine. Microsoft support told me that this free upgrade offer...
  3. Is free Windows 10 upgrade still legitimate?

Is free Windows 10 upgrade still legitimate?: I recently did a free upgraded of my Windows 7 computer to Windows10 using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. Even though the free upgrade offer expired about four years ago, the new install of Windows 10 was activated using a digital licence supplied by MS. I see there...
  4. Here’s why free upgrade for Windows 7 still works

in Windows 10 News
    Here’s why free upgrade for Windows 7 still works: On January 14, 2020, Microsoft ended the life of Windows 7, one of its greatest operating systems ever. You can still run your computer, but it won’t receive monthly rollups, security updates, or emergency patches. This means any critical bugs found in Windows 7 won’t get...
  5. Windows 10 free upgrade offer still works for some users

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 free upgrade offer still works for some users: Microsoft has ended the free upgrades to Windows 10, but users are reporting that they can still install the OS for free on a PC running a genuine license of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. According to reports, you can claim a free digital entitlement of Windows 10 and upgrade to...
  6. Free upgrades are still free February 9

Free upgrades are still free February 9: A tale of two laptops - wife's laptop, licensed on Windows 10 Home only and spare laptop, previously licensed on both Windows 10 Home and Pro. Laptops are different manufacturers and models. Wife's laptop needed repair, so moved her hard drive to spare laptop. As expected,...
  7. Free upgrade still working using old keys

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Free upgrade still working using old keys: A few days after the 29th-July free upgrade date passed, a few people on this forum (myself included) were still reporting that new clean installs of Win10 could still be done using old Win7 keys. Not talking about re-installs, but new installs with old Win7 keys that had...
  8. I've still not used the FREE Windows 10 upgrade

I've still not used the FREE Windows 10 upgrade: Brink , I've still not used the FREE Windows 10 upgrade, What are your suggestions for me , before this offer expires ? No more than I know how to keep from facing issues later . 53146
  9. Free upgrade still working (old technet Keys)

Free upgrade still working (old technet Keys): Hi there I created some Windows images on different machines this morning (30 Jul 10:56 local time) -- still activating W10 --using old keys from my Technet subcription. If you've got some keys left and some machines grab the Free upgrade while it's still working...
  10. Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free?

Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free?: Hmm I firstly thought that free upgrade to windows 10 has end but now I see MS giving away windows 10 free again in this wsite?- Here 74024