Windows 10: Here is why Microsoft continues to add unpopular features to Windows

Discus and support Here is why Microsoft continues to add unpopular features to Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft plans to release two feature updates for its Windows operating systems later this year. Work on future feature updates continues unhindered... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 20, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Here is why Microsoft continues to add unpopular features to Windows

Microsoft plans to release two feature updates for its Windows operating systems later this year. Work on future feature updates continues unhindered as well, and the first builds of the 2023 feature update version are already available.

Here is why Microsoft continues to add unpopular features to Windows search-widget-in-Windows-11-build-25120.png

One of the recent changes to these 2023 feature update preview builds is a new desktop search widget. Enabled on a small number of test devices only, the search widget adds a search form field to the Windows desktop. Users may use it to run searches using Microsoft's Bing search engine.

Web addresses may be entered directly to open sites, but any other input is redirected to Microsoft's Bing search engine. All requests are opened in Microsoft's Edge web browser when the search widget is used.

Here is why Microsoft continues to add unpopular features to Windows windows-11-search-widget-results.png

Microsoft Edge is used exclusively for the feature with no built-in option to change the browser. Since there is also no option to change the search engine, users are left with Bing search results when they use the search widget on the device.

It is easy enough to disable the search widget. All it takes is to right-click on the desktop, select "Show More Options" and to click on the "Show Search" option toggle.

An influx of unpopular features

Here is why Microsoft continues to add unpopular features to Windows windows-search-highlights-windows-10.png

Microsoft added several features to its Windows operating system in recent time that are unpopular or even considered useless by part of the userbase.

In March 2022, Microsoft introduced the Search Highlight feature, which added information about the current day to Windows Widgets and icons to the taskbar; the latter confused some users, who suddenly noticed changing icons on their taskbar that they did not put there.

Windows Widgets is another controversial feature. It adds news, weather reports, stock market information and other bits to Windows. Currently, only first-party widgets are supported, including those powered by Microsoft MSN and Bing. Microsoft plans to extend Windows Widgets to support third-party additions in the future.

The Search widget is the latest addition that is controversial. Ashwin pointed out that it is not adding anything of use to the system, as searches may already be run using the built-in search functionality of the operating system.

Why is Microsoft adding these features then to the operating system? Some users may find the functionality useful, especially if they have used more complicated means previously.

One explanation for the influx of features associated with Bing and Microsoft Edge is that Microsoft wants to increase usage of Edge, Bing and other Microsoft properties. Increased usage increases Microsoft's revenue at the same time, as advertising revenue increases with usage. The features may also keep users in Microsoft's ecosystem of services and applications longer.

The features are enabled by default, as this ensures that the majority of users are exposed to them. Disabling is just a few clicks away, but it may not always be apparent right away. For instance, a right-click on the Widgets icon does nothing; you have to right-click on the taskbar instead, select Taskbar Settings, and toggle the Widget icon there to hide it.

Now You: do you find any of the recent Bing/MSN/Search feature additions useful?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Here is why Microsoft continues to add unpopular features to Windows appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 20, 2022

2. Microsoft signals end of Paint program

Microsoft has confirmed that it will continue to offer its graphics program Paint.

In a recent update, it had listed Paint as a feature that would be either removed or no longer developed.

Paint, renowned for its simplicity, has been part of the Windows operating system since its launch in 1985.

Microsoft suggested it would not remain on Windows 10 by default but did say it would be available for free on the Windows Store.

BBC news Report here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40714395

dorsetknob, May 20, 2022
  3. Windows 7 top feature request list leaked to the public

With Windows still managing to find its way to over 95 percent of the desktop computers sold each year, it's not surprising that one can find plenty of people interested in giving their feedback about what future versions of Windows should be able to do.

A few years ago, before Windows Vista had even shipped, Microsoft sent out a wish list form asking people what features they would like to see in the next version of Windows, currently code-named Windows 7. The top wished-for features in this list were recently leaked to the public and have popped up at various sites (e.g., Neowin). While anonymous sources at Microsoft tell us that they bear no relationship to the actual feature set Microsoft is currently writing for Windows 7, the list does provide interesting insight into what the Windows-using public most wants from Windows.

The features are listed in no particular order, but they break down into various categories depending on what part of Windows the feature request falls under. Many requests for improvements in Internet Explorer, such as a session restore function, are fairly obvious wishes for features that already exist in competitive products such as Firefox and Opera. Other suggestions, such as a tabbed Windows Explorer, look for features from web browsers to migrate into the general user interface.

Here is why Microsoft continues to add unpopular features to Windows [​IMG]

Some of the feature requests are clearly unrealistic, such as the desire to "back up" Xbox 360 games to the PC (yeah, I don't think Microsoft will be doing that one). Others are minor user interface enhancements that would be nice additions but wouldn't really change the Windows experience, such as a progress bar when hibernating the system. However, there are a few that make good sense and would be welcome additions to the operating system, such as a built-in video and audio codec manager.

A Windows 7 insider who wishes to remain anonymous told Ars that the leaked feature list was gathered before any real development on Windows 7 was started, and readers should not expect to see requests from the list necessarily implemented in Microsoft’s next major Windows release.

Ben Clarke, May 20, 2022
  4. Here is why Microsoft continues to add unpopular features to Windows

The King is Dead; Long Live the King - MS Paint's Announced Demise

Microsoft has confirmed that it will continue to offer its graphics program Paint.

In a recent update, it had listed Paint as a feature that would be either removed or no longer developed.

Paint, renowned for its simplicity, has been part of the Windows operating system since its launch in 1985.

Microsoft suggested it would not remain on Windows 10 by default but did say it would be available for free on the Windows Store.

dorsetknob, May 20, 2022
Thema:

Here is why Microsoft continues to add unpopular features to Windows

1. Here is why Microsoft continues to add unpopular features to Windows - Similar Threads - Here why Microsoft

2. My phone number is verified. Why does Microsoft continue to ask me to add it???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My phone number is verified. Why does Microsoft continue to ask me to add it???: My phone number is verified on my Microsoft account.Why does Microsoft continue to ask me to add it again???Then when I try to add my phone number, I am advised that the number is already verified???...
  3. Why add this feature??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why add this feature??: Why was bitlocker even added as a feature? It's virtually useless, all it actually does is lock the owner out of their pc after spending hundreds of pounds on expensive hardware just to not be able to bloody use them. My Samsung 860q Evo has been encrypted and there isn't...
  4. Why add this feature??

Why add this feature??: Why was bitlocker even added as a feature? It's virtually useless, all it actually does is lock the owner out of their pc after spending hundreds of pounds on expensive hardware just to not be able to bloody use them. My Samsung 860q Evo has been encrypted and there isn't...
  5. Why add this feature??

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Please add this feature to Microsoft software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please add this feature to Microsoft software: I have always wanted Microsoft to add a feature called "Save and Open"I hate when I download a report and save it in it's location and then I have to exit and go to that location to open it. Not a big deal but I do lots of reports and data entry and this feature would speed...
  7. Please add this feature to Microsoft software

Please add this feature to Microsoft software: I have always wanted Microsoft to add a feature called "Save and Open"I hate when I download a report and save it in it's location and then I have to exit and go to that location to open it. Not a big deal but I do lots of reports and data entry and this feature would speed...
  8. Why is this here ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is this here ?: In my properties in security i find this user Account Unknow 1-5-21 ? what is this an how do i get rid of it ? submitted by /u/MFTGAMING [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ljek9w/why_is_this_here/
  9. Windows 10 update to disable the unpopular ‘Shake to Minimize’ feature

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 update to disable the unpopular ‘Shake to Minimize’ feature: One of the great things about Windows is how intuitive it is. The majority of its essential features can be easily accessed by the users and they’re also heavily promoted by Microsoft. There are some useful or unpopular features that are hidden away and Microsoft is now...
  10. Why does Microsoft continue to remove features that people use such as

in Windows 10 Support
    Why does Microsoft continue to remove features that people use such as: These features have been available since '95. Drag and drop should never have been tampered with. The color and text changing I've always used because default text is too small to see and there is too much white in the workspaces that makes a sharp glare. I could make the...