Windows 10: Here's how Microsoft will support Bash on Windows 10

Discus and support Here's how Microsoft will support Bash on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft is building support for the Linux Bash utilities into Windows 10 with a little help from Canonical. Here's what's happening under the covers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Here's how Microsoft will support Bash on Windows 10

Read more: Here's how Microsoft will support Bash on Windows 10 | ZDNet

See also: Run Bash on Ubuntu on Windows | Building Apps for Windows

Brink, Mar 29, 2016
  2. BunnyJ New Member

Key thing is this is great for developers and not really something an everyday user can benefit from.

Jeff

:)

BunnyJ, Mar 29, 2016
  3. Bash on Windows

I have the Bash shell setup on Windows 10 latest build and I have forgotten the sudo password how can I recover this and if needed how do I uninstall the bash shell as it is not listed in the remove programs list. I am not sure of the placement of this
    question so I posted it here. Please advise.

CyberVulcan X, Mar 29, 2016
  4. kevineu Win User

Is the N-series a ill-fated fiasco ?

My, my, my... bash, bash, bash... jokers.

Just like how Microsoft gets all the bashing and look where they are now? Strange huh?

Fact: People complain more than they praise.

Fact: This is a support forum so it is where you come to post your problems.

Theory (Mine): Most of the problematic phones were network-locked.

Yes, those Music Edition and Internet Edition are marketing hype but bear in mind that the specifications are there for the customer to see. So who's the fool?

My N95 and all my other Nokias were fine. There are many others who feel this way and that is why we are here... to teach the others as we know the product is good and people just need to know how to use their product. And we will carry on to help as much as
    we can.

If you do not like YOUR experience with the product by all means state your grouse but there is a difference between stating your grouse and bashing...

kevineu, Mar 29, 2016
  5. rvbfan Win User
    Immediately? Probably true, in the future who knows.

rvbfan, Mar 29, 2016
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Click on that link and you can install a free tool that gives you bash right now.

BunnyJ, Mar 29, 2016
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    One more shell, in addition to the DOS Command shell, NT's CMD.exe, Powershell, Explorer.exe and Start aka Modern aka Metro aka Immersive shell, is not going to make much difference. Can I have Program Manager and DOSShell back please?

Fafhrd, Mar 30, 2016
  8. SIW2 Win User
  9. DooGie Win User
    I don't feel that this will interest normal Windows users in the slightest bit though.

Can anyone point me to any advantages this will have?

DooGie, Mar 30, 2016
  10. I wonder if this was a lot like the Unix Subsystem for Windows NT that Microsoft created for Windows NT 4 and Windows 2000, so that a subset of cross-platform applications and scripts could be run on a Windows NT Server.

Jody Thornton, Mar 30, 2016
  11. lvgandhi Win User
    Which link you meant?

lvgandhi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Here's how Microsoft will support Bash on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Here's Microsoft support

2. Minimal BASH-like editingis supported

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Minimal BASH-like editingis supported: [IMG][IMG]When I want to install windows 10 on the HDD I get an error: no such device and an error: unkown file system.I tried to fix it according to the instructions, but every time I check the partition, it throws out an unknown fule system picture.I don't know now if I...
  3. "Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported..." Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported..." Problem: Hi, I was using Ubuntu's the lastest version as my second OS, then I deleted it from my computer while using my Windows 10. After that, my computer could not boot itself again. I tried to boot it while using USB, but it did not work. My computer did not see Windows Boot...
  4. Is here way to contact Microsoft support without calling?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is here way to contact Microsoft support without calling?: As title says. Is here way to contact Microsoft support without calling, like using email or live chat etc. ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-here-way-to-contact-microsoft-support-without/f2dcc105-add6-4bb1-b803-f96f4b2d815a"
  5. Bash on Ubuntu on Windows 10 - How are you finding it?

in Windows 10 Support
    Bash on Ubuntu on Windows 10 - How are you finding it?: Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has installed Bash on Windows 10 yet, and what their experience has been? I see Microsoft are very clear that it is beta software: Bash on Ubuntu on Windows | MSDN I'm keen to try this out as it could be useful for me, but dont want...
  6. Open Bash window here as administrator - Add in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Bash window here as administrator - Add in Windows 10: How to: Open Bash window here as administrator - Add in Windows 10 How to Add 'Open Bash window here as administrator' context menu in Windows 10 [img] Information Microsoft first made investments that improve cmd, PowerShell, and many other command-line tools and...
  7. Microsoft announcing Windows 10 Bug Bash Privacy Edition

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft announcing Windows 10 Bug Bash Privacy Edition: Hello, Windows Insiders! We’re announcing the Bug Bash Privacy Edition, which officially kicks off today and runs from March 7th - 11:59 PM PST on March 16th . Marisa Rogers (WDG Privacy Officer) published an article in her blog this week that focuses on the new...
  8. Microsoft set to announce bash on Linux running on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft set to announce bash on Linux running on Windows 10: Microsoft’s Build 2016 developer conference starts tomorrow, March 30, 2016, and some details on Build events are already starting to leak out on Twitter. Specifically, Microsoft plans to show Bash running on Ubuntu Linux on Windows 10 during Build 2016. Originally, Tero...
  9. Open Bash window here context menu - Add in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Bash window here context menu - Add in Windows 10: How to: Open Bash window here context menu - Add in Windows 10 How to Add 'Open Bash window here' context menu in Windows 10 [img] Information Microsoft first made investments that improve cmd, PowerShell, and many other command-line tools and developer scenarios....
  10. Upgrading to Windows 10? Here are the supported paths

in Windows 10 News
    Upgrading to Windows 10? Here are the supported paths: At the WinHEC conference in China, Microsoft has announced several new details about the release of Windows 10, including that all pirated copies of Windows can be upgraded for free. If you are wanting to upgrade to Windows 10, take a look at the matrix below, as it outlines...