Windows 10: Hertz randomly dropping from 120Hz to 60Hz

Discus and support Hertz randomly dropping from 120Hz to 60Hz in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello, I have had a problem for about a year now with my laptop. My hertz randomly drop from 120Hz to 60Hz, However, the Hertz remains at 120Hz in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Jovan2, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Jovan2 Win User

Hertz randomly dropping from 120Hz to 60Hz

Hello, I have had a problem for about a year now with my laptop.
    My hertz randomly drop from 120Hz to 60Hz, However, the Hertz remains at 120Hz in the Nvidia Control Panel.
    What I do to fix it is just changing the resolution to a lower one than switch back to 1920x1080, and that fixes it.
    However, I have had enough, and I cannot keep switching it back so many times. It's completely random; in a game, or just in discord, or just writing something in Word for my university work, or just using Chrome.
    The drivers are not the problem because I have tried installing the older ones with which I didn't have the problem, one day the hertz just randomly dropped and I thought it was a glitch or something, but clearly, it's become very annoying.
    I already tried disabling the G-Sync, however, it didn't work.
    I already tried installing older drivers, updated drivers, however, it didn't work.
    I did a DxDiag, so if anyone can help me fix this, I would be very thankful.
    DxDiag

:)

Jovan2, Nov 14, 2020
  2. Jovan2 Win User

Hello, I have had a problem for about a year now with my laptop.
    My hertz randomly drop from 120Hz to 60Hz, However, the Hertz remains at 120Hz in the Nvidia Control Panel.
    What I do to fix it is just changing the resolution to a lower one than switch back to 1920x1080, and that fixes it.
    However, I have had enough, and I cannot keep switching it back so many times. It's completely random; in a game, or just in discord, or just writing something in Word for my university work, or just using Chrome.
    The drivers are not the problem because I have tried installing the older ones with which I didn't have the problem, one day the hertz just randomly dropped and I thought it was a glitch or something, but clearly, it's become very annoying.
    I already tried disabling the G-Sync, however, it didn't work.
    I already tried installing older drivers, updated drivers, however, it didn't work.
    I did a DxDiag, so if anyone can help me fix this, I would be very thankful.
    DxDiag

Jovan2, Nov 14, 2020
  3. Hertz randomly dropping from 120Hz to 60Hz

I could gather from googling your hardware specs that you are on an EVGA SC15 laptop , I could also see that you have no presence of an Intel GPU , can you confirm if there is a mode in Bios where you can work in either Hybrid or Discreet modes for GPU ? If Evga managed to default this laptop to use Nvidia GPU all the time (Discreet) then I suggest you remove your current driver and install the desktop version of the Nvidia driver , the laptop version of the driver is designed to let the Intel take over refresh rate control , now since there is no Intel GPU present then refresh rate has no handler , which is why you need to assign it to Nvidia via Desktop driver .

If it still found to glitch then I suggest you contact the Evga forum , they are known to have a good forum .

nIGHTmAYOR, Nov 14, 2020
  4. iaen Win User

Refresh rate dropping from 120hz to 60hz, WHEA-Logger Event ID 17 ?

I've got

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070, Driver 441.87 (just rolled back from 445.87, same issue)
    Computer: Aorus_X5 V6,
    CPU: Intel i7-6820HK @ 2.70 GHz
    Ram: 16.0 GB

For the past month my windows refresh rate seems to be randomly switching from 120hz and getting reset to 60hz, which unfortunately makes games unplayable and looking at the screen in general less nice. When this happens the display refresh in the Nvidia control panel is still listed as 120hz, although testing on UFO Test: Refreshrate will then show 60hz. The only way I can change it back to 120hz is by rebooting. If I manually change the display refresh down to 60hz, my laptop screen has crazy tearing and black flashes.

I think this is the same issue as this post (Refresh Rate Changing Itself at Random ). I started a new thread because they erroneously listed it as solved after switching to onboard graphics. My laptop only uses the dedicated gpu so this wouldn't be an option.

I've noticed the windows event viewer has a warning that seems to coincide with the refresh rate changing. It's listed as having occurred 5400 times in the past week, sometimes a bunch will spam at once.
    The message is:

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
    Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus: Device:Function: 0x0:0x1C:0x0
    Secondary Bus: Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
    Primary Device NameHertz randomly dropping from 120Hz to 60Hz :pCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A110&SUBSYS_35581458&REV_F1

I can paste the full message if needed.

I've updated all drivers, then tried rolling them back (unfortunately it seems I can't roll back windows drivers after 10 days installed), but so far no luck fixing this.

Thema:

1. Hertz randomly dropping from 120Hz to 60Hz - Similar Threads - Hertz randomly dropping

2. Add 60Hz option to 120Hz display in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Add 60Hz option to 120Hz display in Windows 10?: This is for the purpose of playing LEGO Star Wars - I had the game last year on this laptop and it ran perfectly fine, I got 30hrs play out of it, then had a break and uninstalled it. In that time my PC updated I think, and now whenever I try to play the game I get a ds3...
  3. mouse hertz

in Windows 10 Customization
    mouse hertz: hi, i was wondering if it is possible to change the hertz on a mousepad and if so, how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-hertz/9b592b1e-7ba5-46e5-9d60-36259d040fdb
  4. 60FPS at 60hz vs <120 fps at 120hz

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    60FPS at 60hz vs <120 fps at 120hz: So I have a 120hz monitor so sometimes my computer drops below 120hz. So I was wondering if locked 60fps at 60hz is better than 75-120 fps at 120hz because it is synced with the monitor refresh rate. Thanks! submitted by /u/XM1n3r [link] [comments]...
  5. Acer X27P monitor max refresh rate drops from 120hz to 82hz after waking from standby

Acer X27P monitor max refresh rate drops from 120hz to 82hz after waking from standby: I don't know if this is a Windows, Nvidia drivers, or monitor issue, but if I leave my PC idle and the monitor turns off. After the monitor returns from standby (not PC standby, the PC is still on), it would lock my max refresh rate at 82hz or lower. I would have to fix this...
  6. Refresh rate dropping from 120hz to 60hz, WHEA-Logger Event ID 17 ?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Refresh rate dropping from 120hz to 60hz, WHEA-Logger Event ID 17 ?: I've got OS: Win 10, 64 bit, version 1903, and GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070, Driver 441.87 (just rolled back from 445.87, same issue) Computer: Aorus_X5 V6, CPU: Intel i7-6820HK @ 2.70 GHz Ram: 16.0 GB For the past month my windows refresh rate seems to be randomly...
  7. Windows randomly changes refresh rate from 120hz to 60hz

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows randomly changes refresh rate from 120hz to 60hz: For the past few months my laptop has started to randomly change its display refresh from 120hz to 60hz, and in order to reset it to 120hz I need to reboot. I think this probably tied to a recent Windows update, but since this was more than 10 days ago I don't have the option...
  8. Watching video content on a >=120Hz monitor with a 60Hz 2nd monitor causes stutter

Watching video content on a >=120Hz monitor with a 60Hz 2nd monitor causes stutter: Does anyone know of a workaround for this issue? I have a gaming monitor and a 2nd monitor used for guides and other stuff. Gaming monitor is 144Hz and my 2nd monitor is 60hz. There are times I would like to watch videos, YouTube and whatever. If I leave my gaming monitor on...
  9. Random FPS drop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random FPS drop: Hello there, Now my problem started a month ago in April, the games that were working fine earlier started having some sudden FPS drops, the drops were for some seconds and then again the games used to come in normal condition. This problem was occurring in many games...
  10. WiFi is Randomly Dropping

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi is Randomly Dropping: Hello My router is the Horizon box provided by my ISP (UPC) and has been working fine for the last two years. My HP laptop has been working fine for the two years I've owned it. However, about two weeks ago the laptop has started randomly disconnecting from the WiFi. The...