Windows 10: HEVC codec from the Microsoft Store corrupts protected video in Edge, HEIC seems buggy, too.

Discus and support HEVC codec from the Microsoft Store corrupts protected video in Edge, HEIC seems buggy, too. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This seems to have been an issue going on for years, but it's still there. When I install the HEVC codec by Microsoft in the Windows Store, protected... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by HansPedersen3, Feb 11, 2021.

1. HEVC codec from the Microsoft Store corrupts protected video in Edge, HEIC seems buggy, too.

This seems to have been an issue going on for years, but it's still there.

When I install the HEVC codec by Microsoft in the Windows Store, protected video on services like Netflix starts stuttering, getting corrupted and freeze/hang the computer.

The issue goes away if I remove HEVC.

On a slightly related note, HEIF Image Extensions also seem to cause really slow load times in the File explorer, if there are images saved in the heic file format. I have a PCIe 4.0 NVME drive. It shouldn't take 10 seconds to open a folder with 50 images in it. \o/

Maybe it's time for Microsoft to fix these issues? Searching this community, these issues has been around for years.

:)

HansPedersen3, Feb 11, 2021
  2. nina Win User

Installation of HEVC codec

Any attempt to install HEVC codec, purchased from MIcrosoft Store, is a failure. What can be the reason?

3. JonBland Win User
    HEVC HEIC integration not completed?

To add HEIF support to Windows 10, use these steps:

Open web browser.

Use this Microsoft Store link to get to the HEVC extension.

Click the Get button.

Click the Open Microsoft Store button.

Click the Install button.

Use this Microsoft Store link to get to the HEIF extension.

Click the Get button.

Click the Open Microsoft Store button.

Click the Install button.

After you complete the steps, you should be able to view files encoded using the HEIF container with Photos or another compatible app, such as Microsoft Paint.

In the case that you already have the codecs installed, and you're still unable to view images and videos with the Photos app, then you can reset the packages to solve the most common issues.

Resetting the HEIF extension

To fix the HEIF extension on Windows 10, use these steps:

Open Settings.

Click on Apps & features.

Under the "Apps & features" section, select the HEIF Image Extensions item.

Click the Advanced options.

Click the Reset button.

Click the Reset button again.

Once you complete the steps, close the Photos app, and try to open the image one more time.

Resetting the HEVC extension

To fix the HEVC extension on Windows 10, use these steps:

Open Settings.

Click on Apps & features.

Under the "Apps & features" section, select the HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer item.

Click the Advanced options.

Click the Reset button.

Click the Reset button again.

After you complete the steps, close the Photos app, and try to play the same video encoded with the HEIF container one more time using Photos, Windows Media Player, or another compatible app.

JonBland, Feb 11, 2021
  4. HEVC codec from the Microsoft Store corrupts protected video in Edge, HEIC seems buggy, too.

HEVC codec video extension wont launch

Hello, I have windows 10. I'm running the Edge browser. I have downloaded the HEVC codec video extension app from the windows store just as the Windows troubleshooter advised, but the app wont launch. I could not find any support for this problem so I'm
    hoping someone hear has an answer.

Thanks.

MusicGuy33, Feb 11, 2021
Thema:

HEVC codec from the Microsoft Store corrupts protected video in Edge, HEIC seems buggy, too.

1. HEVC codec from the Microsoft Store corrupts protected video in Edge, HEIC seems buggy, too. - Similar Threads - HEVC codec Microsoft

2. Re-using the installed HEVC codec from the Microsoft store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-using the installed HEVC codec from the Microsoft store: Hi. Can anyone please confirm whether I can re-use the HEVC codec that I originally purchased from the Microsoft store to use on my existing win 10 pc .I am intending to buy a new Windows 11 PC and wondered if I have to re-purchase the codec to use on the Windows 11 PC. At...
  3. Re-using the installed HEVC codec from the Microsoft store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-using the installed HEVC codec from the Microsoft store: Hi. Can anyone please confirm whether I can re-use the HEVC codec that I originally purchased from the Microsoft store to use on my existing win 10 pc .I am intending to buy a new Windows 11 PC and wondered if I have to re-purchase the codec to use on the Windows 11 PC. At...
  4. HEVC Codecs

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    HEVC Codecs: im on windows 10 and cant get the codecs because im from the uk..when i put my card details in its asking for a post code which it wont take..plus its asking for a state ? i cant change the country...
  5. HEVC Codecs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HEVC Codecs: im on windows 10 and cant get the codecs because im from the uk..when i put my card details in its asking for a post code which it wont take..plus its asking for a state ? i cant change the country...
  6. HEVC Codecs

7. i can not purchase HEVC video codec on Microsoft store website

i can not purchase HEVC video codec on Microsoft store website: Hi, My name is Tom Pham form Australia, I have been trying to purchase HEVC video codec on Microsoft store but the problem is after verification it is asking me to add profile address but for USA only.I just can not change from United State to Australia. Can you please help....
  8. i can not purchase HEVC video codec on Microsoft store website

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    i can not purchase HEVC video codec on Microsoft store website: Hi, My name is Tom Pham form Australia, I have been trying to purchase HEVC video codec on Microsoft store but the problem is after verification it is asking me to add profile address but for USA only.I just can not change from United State to Australia. Can you please help....
  9. i can not purchase HEVC video codec on Microsoft store website

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. I cant open .heic files or install .Hevc codec

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I cant open .heic files or install .Hevc codec: Hi so after much trawling i have establshed that i need to install both .heic and .hevc extensions to allow me to open and edit photos from my iphone in Photos. Ive installed .heic. Ive set it as the default. Ive restarted the machine. So im now tryin to install .hevc. I...