Windows 10: "HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer" installed on computer but missing from...

Discus and support "HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer" installed on computer but missing from... in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; I became aware of bugs CVE-2020-1457 and CVE-2020-1425 a couple of days ago, and tried to figure out whether I'm affected and how to fix the problem.... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by AABakke, Jul 5, 2020.

1. AABakke Win User

"HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer" installed on computer but missing from...

I became aware of bugs CVE-2020-1457 and CVE-2020-1425 a couple of days ago, and tried to figure out whether I'm affected and how to fix the problem.

Five of my computers have "HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer" installed. I didn't install it. The latest installation or update on one of my computers was on May 6, the same date as an update to "Microsoft Solitaire Collection". Dates vary, but on all computers, these two updates occurred the same day.

If I go to the "Downloads and updates" page of Microsoft store, there's no option to download an update to "HEVC Video Extensions". This app also doesn't appear in my Microsoft Store library. I suspect that because of this, it won't be updated automatically from Microsoft Store.

1 How can I get an update for "HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer" if it's not available to me in Microsoft Store?

2 How can I tell what programs might use "HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer"? Can I safely uninstall it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

AABakke, Jul 5, 2020

2. 58 Error dialogs from app when HEVC Video Extension Window Store codec is installed.

Hi Kraig,

The ability of your device hardware may be the determining factor here, for example, here is the statement from the MS store app page:

The HEVC Video Extension enables compatible Windows 10 devices to play video using the HEVC format in any app, including 4K and Ultra HD content. Compatible devices support HEVC in hardware, including Intel 7th Generation Core processors and other
    modern GPUs. If you are not using a compatible device, this extension will have no effect on your Windows 10 video experience.

Therefore, I suggest that you next should check the device manufactures support website for compatibility info and/or update's offered that may apply to the compatibility thereof.

If you need more help with this in determining if your hardware will support the 4K and/or ultra HD video codec (extension) format then reply back with the full detailed description of the make and model (including the tag#, serial#, etc.) and we will help
    you as best we can in determining the compatibility of your device.

We'll be waiting for your next reply.

Good Luck,

-Richard

RichardEiler, Jul 5, 2020
  3. svenm.se Win User
    Windows File Explorer does not generate thumbnails for HEVC videos any more

Now I have found the problem. When I installed the app "HEVC Video Extension" from Microsoft Store, the other app “HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturers” already was installed. So, I got two apps for the same purpose. When I found this
    I uninstalled the latter one and then all problems started. Installing/uninstalling the two apps i different combinations did not solve the problem.

Today I was desperate, took ownership of the folder C:\Program Files\WindowsApps and looked inside. There were two folders for HEVC Video Extensions. I uninstalled "HEVC Video Extension" the normal way, from Settings->Apps. After that there
    was still a folder "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension . . . ". I renamed this folder, restarted the system and installed the
    app “HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturers” from Microsoft Store. It is pure magic, now it works again without any problems!

It is possible to find the app “HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturers” in Microsoft Store, but I found this link:

HEVC Video Extensions from Manufacturers

svenm.se, Jul 5, 2020
  4. Tenforo Active Member

"HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer" installed on computer but missing from...

Tenforo, Jul 5, 2020
Thema:

1. "HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer" installed on computer but missing from... - Similar Threads - HEVC Video Extensions

2. HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer not in library

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer not in library: Why do some computers have the codex to view HEVC files and some computers do not have it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer-not/ffe57966-0974-4260-be8c-2c87e0c15378
  3. HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer not in library

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer not in library: Why do some computers have the codex to view HEVC files and some computers do not have it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer-not/ffe57966-0974-4260-be8c-2c87e0c15378
  4. HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer not in library

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why is the "HEVC Video extensions from device manufacturer" not on my coworkers PC if we...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is the "HEVC Video extensions from device manufacturer" not on my coworkers PC if we...: I have tried applying GPO updates multiple times that allow for this policy. I also updated windows 10. It does have the HEIF Image extensions, but not the HEVC video extensions to get the new apple extension that is heic. I tried the fix of signing out of the Microsoft...
  6. Why is the "HEVC Video extensions from device manufacturer" not on my coworkers PC if we...

Why is the "HEVC Video extensions from device manufacturer" not on my coworkers PC if we...: I have tried applying GPO updates multiple times that allow for this policy. I also updated windows 10. It does have the HEIF Image extensions, but not the HEVC video extensions to get the new apple extension that is heic. I tried the fix of signing out of the Microsoft...
  7. "HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer" installed on computer but missing from...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    "HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer" installed on computer but missing from...: I became aware of CVE-2020-17022 Microsoft Windows Codecs Library Remote Code Execution Vulnerability. The FAQ says I'm affected if I have "HEVC video extensions from device manufacturer" installed. I do! It says I'll get the updated bugfix version via the Microsoft Store...
  8. HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer

HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer: Why is HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer showing as temporarily unavailable? It was available up to a couple of months ago. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/50b3ac5d-b53b-4bac-b188-a84518129651
  9. HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer without Windows Store?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer without Windows Store?: Hi all. My work laptop has Windows 10 V 1809 Build 17763.1397. Enterprise edition. The IT department seems to have installed an image that doesn't have the Windows Store present. So I cannot install anything using the Windows Store or links from the Windows Store. Is...
  10. HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer: The teaser is here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq?activetab=pivot:overviewtab How can I get this? Windows is not connected to the Internet. Thanks a lot, Mark....