Windows 10: Hexadecimal Unicode Character Shortcut only works in WordPad and certain other apps

Discus and support Hexadecimal Unicode Character Shortcut only works in WordPad and certain other apps in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello,I have been having a problem with trying to put in Unicode characters in almost every app except WordPad as far as I know. I do not know of any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Saturanium, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Hexadecimal Unicode Character Shortcut only works in WordPad and certain other apps

Hello,I have been having a problem with trying to put in Unicode characters in almost every app except WordPad as far as I know. I do not know of any other applications that allow the shortcut to work. A few months back, this was working just fine in every app. I have already edited the registry with the HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Input Method/EnableHexNumpadvalue set to 1. It was when I first applied that registry that it was working just fine. Now it only works in certain apps.If it helps, here's my system specs:Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Plus MaxCPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600Storage: 2.5 TB T

:)

Saturanium, Jan 25, 2023
  2. Fafhrd Win User

How to type unicode characters in Windows 10?

I have to say that if I know I need to repeatedly unicode stuff (or any non keyboard symbols) in a document, and that's not often, I make a short document either with the individual characters or short strings taken from Charmap.exe, or another document which already has the symbols or glyphs that I need, and cut and paste as required. It's not the easiest way, but neither is <nnnnAltX> - you have to remember the hexadecimal unicode value or have a crib sheet with them on.

Notepad and Wordpad are not the only editors - there's a slew of plaintext editors with unicode support built in:

unicode editor - Google Search

or

rtf unicode editor - Google Search

if you wish for a Wordpad replacement.

Fafhrd, Jan 25, 2023
  3. jfniss Win User
    How to type unicode characters in Windows 10?

Thanks, I´ll have a look at the unicode writers. It´s almost always the '≠' I want to access in Notepad or Wordpad, but I use it every day, and I know the hexadecimal by heart. I used to copy and paste from a file or use the character map but was so happy when I discovered 2260AtlX. It works on every computer in the school where I volunteer, both XP and Win7. I hope the school doesn't upgrade to Win10.

jfniss, Jan 25, 2023
  4. Hexadecimal Unicode Character Shortcut only works in WordPad and certain other apps

Input Hexadecimal Unicode Windows 10

Is it possible to input Unicode with hexadecimal codes in Windows 10? I regularly use Ubuntu and a Chromebook, and Ctrl+Shift+U allows me to input such characters on both. Can I set up Windows 10 to do the same thing? Windows 10's current methods of inputting Unicode/special characters seem to vary across applications.

It would be great if I could input a combining accent without having another keyboard layout enabled, as the Ctrl+Shift shortcut to switch layouts is (very) often triggered when hitting Ctrl+Shift+T or Ctrl+Shift+Escape.

Joey L&#243;pez, Jan 25, 2023
Thema:

Hexadecimal Unicode Character Shortcut only works in WordPad and certain other apps

1. Hexadecimal Unicode Character Shortcut only works in WordPad and certain other apps - Similar Threads - Hexadecimal Unicode Character

2. Hexadecimal Unicode Character Shortcut only works in WordPad and certain other apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hexadecimal Unicode Character Shortcut only works in WordPad and certain other apps: Hello,I have been having a problem with trying to put in Unicode characters in almost every app except WordPad as far as I know. I do not know of any other applications that allow the shortcut to work. A few months back, this was working just fine in every app. I have already...
  3. Unicode characters in console

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unicode characters in console: Hi, I recently switched from Mac OSX to Windows 10 and installed WSL + Debian 10; my default shell is zsh and using ohmyzsh to improve the UX of the shell. I just noticed that unicode characters are not supported and I'm wondering if there is a way to fix this. Thanks....
  4. Unicode characters showing problem.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unicode characters showing problem.: Hello, When I type Bangla fonts, characters are showing just as??????? question marks, I've added Bangla language from Language settings, necessary fonts are also already installed. Still the problem is the same. Some icons of windows are also showing as weired...
  5. Fonts/Unicode Characters

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fonts/Unicode Characters: So I was deleting some preinstalled fonts like Microsoft fonts and things like Arial Bold. The reason I did this is because there are a lot of preinstalled fonts and I'm always downloading new fonts for creative purposes. I deleted a bunch of these fonts so that it would be...
  6. Type a Unicode Character

in Windows 10 Support
    Type a Unicode Character: Hello, I am using Win 10 version 2004 and build 19041.388. If I try to enter a Unicode character via the method Alt + <hex number>, then I do get a character but it is the wrong one. For example if I enter 2212 it give a 'n' with a squiggle on top whereas it should return...
  7. Microphone only works in certain apps

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone only works in certain apps: Hello! So my laptop's microphone isn't workin on certain apps such as Discord or the Browser. However, it is detected and even works in apps such as the sound recorder, the camera app. I've already tried everything, from updating the drivers and checking the sound privacy...
  8. Asian characters become unicode ���

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Asian characters become unicode ���: Sometimes when I download/install programs that's originally written in Chinese, folder names and the text in the installer just show up as ����� and I can't read anything. When I play older songs on itunes, previously correctly named songs, with correct artists etc. all...
  9. On-Screen-Keyboard only registers Modifier keys and shortcuts in certain apps only work...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    On-Screen-Keyboard only registers Modifier keys and shortcuts in certain apps only work...: Hi, So for some time now I have had this annoying problem on Windows 10 where the On-Screen-Keyboard only registers CTRL, ALT, SHIFT, Caps and the Win-key. This wouldn't be much of a problem but it seems to be connected to how Windows handles input so for example in...
  10. Messed up hexadecimal value of a certain registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Messed up hexadecimal value of a certain registry: Yesterday, i made a foolish mistake of messing with my registry. Now i usually know my way around the registry, but that's not the problem. The problem is that i messed up the hexadecimal value of the mouse setting, specifically the 'Smoothmousexcurve' and...