Windows 10: HHD question on replacing EIDE with a SATA.

Discus and support HHD question on replacing EIDE with a SATA. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; At the moment this is a bit hypothetical. I have a 9.5yr old Acer laptop that has its original 120Gb drive fitted. The drive says on it 'Enhanced IDE'.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mooly, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Mooly Win User

HHD question on replacing EIDE with a SATA.

At the moment this is a bit hypothetical. I have a 9.5yr old Acer laptop that has its original 120Gb drive fitted. The drive says on it 'Enhanced IDE'.

The Crucial website says that the original storage fitted has 'Serial ATA support' and suggests a standard SATA SSD as a replacement.

My question is whether you can just fit a modern SATA drive as a straight swap here. Not necessarily the Crucial one as I've seen some good offers on Samsung SSD's, and in any case I wouldn't want to spend much on such an old PC.

HHD question on replacing EIDE with a SATA. [​IMG]

HHD question on replacing EIDE with a SATA. [​IMG]

:)

Mooly, Apr 4, 2016

2. Windows 10 doesn't recognize my 2nd hard drive

1st drive is a 1tb SSD and is recognized in bios and device manager

2nd drive is a 1tb HHD sata is recognized in both the bios and the device manager but is not shown in explorer

curseddiamond, Apr 4, 2016
  3. Windows 10 download Install Question

My question is similar as I am about to add an SSD to my computer but Windows 7 is on the old HHD. Can I choose where 10 installs or will it default to where 7 was? I don't mind that Windows 7 gets replaced.

JasonCummings, Apr 4, 2016
  4. zztemp Win User

If i'm not mistaking this is possible but only with a eide to sata converter.
    But i'm not sure it would fit your laptop, most converters have a PCB plate that is pretty wide.

zztemp, Apr 4, 2016
  5. banger Win User
    You can get IDE SSDs on ebay. I myself have just ordered one for my 1998 Mitac 5033 but as your picture shows that drive's connector is IDE/PATA. As the other poster mentioned you would need a PATA to SATA convertor, and space may be a problem as you are fitting a PCB with two connectors on it to do the conversion.

banger, Apr 4, 2016
  6. Mooly Win User
    Mooly, Apr 4, 2016
  7. It is guaranteed to fit because it is the same size, other than thickness, which it's adapter will take care of. You need to worry about the connection, which is not compatible. At some point, you reach the time where it is best to recycle the old equipment and move on. I personally wouldn't put any money into upgrading that old of a system...but would rather put the money towards a new laptop. Laptop prices are very good these days.

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2016
  8. zztemp Win User

I have to agree on this with DeaconFrost. These days you'll have a laptop for 399 € (converted to british currency: £ 318.45)

zztemp, Apr 4, 2016
  9. Berton Win User
    I replaced a SATA HDD with a SATA SSD in an HP Pavilion g6 Notebook using a Crucial 120GB SSD. It fit perfectly using the included spacer to ensure the SSD didn't move around. It's running Linux Mint 17.3 on 8GB RAM just fine, only moving parts are the fan and the ODD when in use.

As mentioned there's seldom, if ever, sufficient room in a Notebook to adapt a PATA drive to a SATA drive.

Berton, Apr 4, 2016
  10. Mooly Win User
    Well the laptop in question is coming up for 10 yrs old (but its happily running W10 32 bit). Can't really disagree with anything you all say... yes, its not worth spending much, although I would have splashed out £30 for a 120Gb SSD (which is what I can get a new Samsung drive for). Its only used as a 'second' PC these days, I have an up to date Dell laptop with SSD for daily use.

So the general consensus is that an off the shelf SATA SSD isn't going to fit, but better to ask than to have got something unsuitable *Smile

Thanks all. I shall mark this resolved.

Mooly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HHD question on replacing EIDE with a SATA. - Similar Threads - HHD question replacing

2. Guru Question on Laptop SATA Power

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Guru Question on Laptop SATA Power: This is all going to be theory as all parts have been returned. I was tasked to repair a Dell Inspiron 15 5568 laptop with a dead short on motherboard. A replacement motherboard was sourced on eBay, Only one available. Upon fitting it had the same characteristics as the...
  3. network links shared icons remain after hhd replacement

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    network links shared icons remain after hhd replacement: replaced an inoperable hhd which had several shared folders. after setting up the new one with different folders which are now being shared. to my surprise every computer on my network still displays not not only shows the new shared folders but also the old shared folder...
  4. hhd

hhd: hello i have added a hdd to my computer from a old device it is spinning and it shows up in the bios but not the program called 'disk manager' or in the my pc tab, any ideas, thanks ioan...
  5. Replace HHD with SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replace HHD with SSD: I have a a computer that I want to install a ssd in and use the current hhd for the file storrage. The version of windows 10 when I bought my computer was 1903. I made a recovery USB for it and have not backed up any of the updates. If I put a ssd in and use my backup will...
  6. old HHD connected by SATA IDE adapter to windows 10 not recognized

old HHD connected by SATA IDE adapter to windows 10 not recognized: I'm trying to recover data from my old WD 500 GB HHD that had failed I replaced it with a 1 TB SSD. I have connected the HDD to multiple PCs and multiple USB ports both front and back using a SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter. Both of my PCs run windows 10. Neither one recognizes...
  7. Question about adding SATA ports.

Question about adding SATA ports.: I have a home built with an ASUS Z87-A MB. It's current main use is as an HTPC and has four 4TB drives full of media and I need to add another. I have space in the case for several more drives but am using all 6 ports on the MB for those 4 plus an SSD boot and a DVD drive....
  8. Sata ports question

Sata ports question: Hello all, i have just built a new ryzen PC, with a Asus B450 F MB , and i just got a Samsung M.2 970 EVO 500 Gig to replace my current 850 Evo, from what i understand my MB uses sata ports 5&6, i currently have 2 devices connected to those ports. would moving those two to...
  9. Replacing Motherboard Questions

Replacing Motherboard Questions: I'm replacing/upgrading my motherboard and have some questions about it. Right now I'm still on W10 1511 and want to do a clean install of the AU 1607 when I'm replacing the MB. The new motherboard is UEFI capable, and I want my clean install of W10 to be UEFI. My present MB...
  10. A Basic HDD Replacement Question

A Basic HDD Replacement Question: We have an HP All-In-One unit that originally came with Windows 8.1 about a 18 months ago. We upgraded to Windows 10 in September and it's been running great unit a few days ago when we got the following boot message: 1720 - SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure...