Windows 10: Hi I am trying to figure out how to sort files by name and length (short to long) so that...

Discus and support Hi I am trying to figure out how to sort files by name and length (short to long) so that... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/bobbyfisher6287 [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/bobbyfisher6287, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Hi I am trying to figure out how to sort files by name and length (short to long) so that...

/u/bobbyfisher6287, Apr 6, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

the folder name highlight is long even though the folder name is very short

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the view you are seeing . . .

You are in list view, the selected item will be highlighted to the length of the longest file name in that column

Temporarily remove the 'Oil Biz Game . . .' PowerPoint file form that folder and the selection length should then be as long as the 'Management Monthly Request' folder!

DaveM121, Apr 6, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    How to sort by file name?

Hi Walter,

There is a lot of files on a PC, and Windows system files will produce a lot of duplicates, which are required . . .

Open Windows File Explorer

Navigate to whatever drive or folder you want to search

In the search box at the top right, enter *.* and hit Enter, that will bring up a list of every file - it may be a very long list, you can then sort by file name to find duplicates . . .

DaveM121, Apr 6, 2020
  4. Hi I am trying to figure out how to sort files by name and length (short to long) so that...

Convert long file names to short names windows 10?

Is there a way to convert long file names into a truncated short form on pc? Is there a simple way to do this? I'm new to using the command prompt / PowerShell and don't fully understand what long scripts are doing and how to modify them.

I want to transfer all of my files to an external hard drive but many of the files are from a mac with long names and I receive an error when I try to transfer them.

Animatoring, Apr 6, 2020
Thema:

Hi I am trying to figure out how to sort files by name and length (short to long) so that...

1. Hi I am trying to figure out how to sort files by name and length (short to long) so that... - Similar Threads - trying figure sort

2. Directory Name & File Name Length Limitation Elimination

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Directory Name & File Name Length Limitation Elimination: Dear Microsoft,I really enjoy using and developing software using your products. However, in a current development project, I have an issue that I need to be able to have longer directory names and longer file names, and often times I must shorten the lengths of filenames and...
  3. Is there any way of sorting all files in a folder by file name length?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any way of sorting all files in a folder by file name length?: I was just backing a folder up and it halted because a file name was too long. Why would it care? As if text takes up a lot of space. Anyway, it would be great to be able to sort so I can trim down long file names....
  4. Is there any way of sorting all files in a folder by file name length?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any way of sorting all files in a folder by file name length?: I was just backing a folder up and it halted because a file name was too long. Why would it care? As if text takes up a lot of space. Anyway, it would be great to be able to sort so I can trim down long file names....
  5. how am I meant to figure out what files may be corrupted???

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how am I meant to figure out what files may be corrupted???: I honestly do not know how, please help submitted by /u/Max_Imus_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l1hx27/how_am_i_meant_to_figure_out_what_files_may_be/
  6. How to find out long name files and folders in W10?

How to find out long name files and folders in W10?: everytime I try to copy a big folder it gives me an error for hundreds of files that have names too long, so I need to find out which of my files in my HD have long names or paths. At first I thought this should be incredibly straightforward and easy, but this is windows and...
  7. So long story short I was trying to play rust but it kept crashing so I reset my Nvidia...

So long story short I was trying to play rust but it kept crashing so I reset my Nvidia...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Regime_Venom [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gnjq6w/so_long_story_short_i_was_trying_to_play_rust_but/
  8. I have tried so long to try i figure out what could cause this problem. My hard drive after...

I have tried so long to try i figure out what could cause this problem. My hard drive after...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/atZiPPy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g4ojmn/i_have_tried_so_long_to_try_i_figure_out_what/
  9. Increase file name length

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Increase file name length: How do I increase the length available for a file name? For example I have a jpg which I wish to name 'Leonard Cohen Tribute, A Thousand Kisses Deep, The Songs Of Leonard Cohen, Nevada Theatre February 12 & 13, 2016' but I cannot name it beyond 'Leonard Cohen Tribute, A...
  10. Limited File Name Length Problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Limited File Name Length Problems: Windows 10. I am trying to rename a file with a name that is 92 characters long (letters, numbers, and hyphens). I am copying the name from a file folder name and attempting to past that name as the rename for a jpeg. It cuts off the last thirty Characters. I tried typing the...