Windows 10: Hi,I'm a student so I lost my laptop though when I try to find it it's device location is...

Discus and support Hi,I'm a student so I lost my laptop though when I try to find it it's device location is... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Please I really need some assistance ASAP,I'd appreciate that mates.Good day friends... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by gareth mochama, May 16, 2023.

1. Hi,I'm a student so I lost my laptop though when I try to find it it's device location is...

Please I really need some assistance ASAP,I'd appreciate that mates.Good day friends

:)

gareth mochama, May 16, 2023
  2. Kem Mon Win User

Unable to turn on the Location from the Location Settings.

Hi Rafiul,

It is possible that the
    GPS chipset
    is not working properly causing your location settings to be
    disabled or cannot be turned on. Kindly run the
    Hardware and Device Troubleshooter
    and check if there's any changes. To run the
    troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting
      and hit
      Enter.

• Choose
      Hardware and Sound.

• Click on the
      Hardware and Devices
      to run the
      Troubleshooter.

If the issue
    persists, we suggest that you contact your
    computer/laptop's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, May 16, 2023
  3. agiro Win User
    Locate a lost Windows 10 laptop

A mate of mine has lost a laptop on a bus and wishes to find it. As far as I know, Windows 10 offers GPS tracking features, but that has to be turned on before the device was lost. The laptop was an Acer and it had no accessories installed that could be identified for location (e.g. no sim or usb net). It had Windows defender on it and the user always had to log in by using username and password to accounts like Facebook (so no auto login with kept pw). As far as we know, the anti-theft feature of Win10 was not turned on (to be frank it was on default, it was not tempered with).

The laptop did have a password on it so my best bet is that it will be booted from a pendrive in order the "founder" to use.

My questions for this are the following:

• Is it possible to turn on GPS remotely by using the same account on another device (like turn on on all devices)?
    • If the OS is reinstalled it is lost for ever?
    • Is it possible to contact the vendor to try to identify the device by location?

EDIT

When attempting to log in, the owner was prompted "too many unsuccessful attempts to log in" which means the thieves tried to log in. Does win10 have a feature that enables geolocation in this case?

ANOTHER EDIT

Is it viable to let the thieves have the laptop in order to trigger the geolocation? no bank data/facebook/gmail etc is logged in on the laptop.

YET ANOTHER EDIT

She actually can log in into her MS account after confirming it with a separate email address. Note that it was the account only, not remoting to the machine. Like one logs in from another pc to check on the mails. In fact she could change her password to her account.
    By the morning she used the machine and it did display her location (it's evening here at the moment). What we came up with - as there are no bank data or social media accounts logged in on the laptop - we should let the thieves log in in order for the laptop to show its location.
    To do this, we plan to use that Win 10 synchronizes one's profile settings on all machines - like if I change my wallpaper on this machine, it changes on the other one. Does it mean if I remove the need to password to login on this machine, it will remove the need on the stolen one? So that the thieves could log in and the laptop's location shows up?

agiro, May 16, 2023
  4. Ian Ser Win User

Hi,I'm a student so I lost my laptop though when I try to find it it's device location is...

Locate device

Hello,

Are these the steps you're doing when trying to locate your device?

• Go to
      account.microsoft.com/devices
      . If you're asked to sign in, use the same Microsoft account you used to sign in to the lost device.
    • Choose your device from the list, then select Find my device.
    • You'll see a map with a highlighted location. However, this may not be your device's current location. When a Microsoft device is turned on, we periodically save your device location, so check the
      Last seen at timestamp.
    • In the meantime, we'll automatically start a new search. Wait a bit and the new device location should appear.

You can also have the option of locking the device to render it useless unless that the person knows your credentials. Here's how:

• When you find your device on the map, select Lock > Next.
    • Type a lock-screen message for anyone who finds your device to see.
    • Select Lock. Note that anyone who finds your locked device can't sign in unless they are an admin for a Microsoft account already on the device.
    Reset your password
    Once your device is locked, you should reset your password for added security. Select
    Reset password and follow the instructions.

I'll be waiting for your updates.

Ian Ser, May 16, 2023
Thema:

Hi,I'm a student so I lost my laptop though when I try to find it it's device location is...

1. Hi,I'm a student so I lost my laptop though when I try to find it it's device location is... - Similar Threads - I'm student lost

2. Hi , I lost my cursor how to find it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi , I lost my cursor how to find it?: How to retrieve cursor on my Asus laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-i-lost-my-cursor-how-to-find-it/bfdfb97e-f1dd-4a33-8d89-7df6b655ef66
  3. Hi , I lost my cursor how to find it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hi , I lost my cursor how to find it?: How to retrieve cursor on my Asus laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-i-lost-my-cursor-how-to-find-it/bfdfb97e-f1dd-4a33-8d89-7df6b655ef66
  4. Hi sir I have lost my laptop and it's location is off how can I find the location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi sir I have lost my laptop and it's location is off how can I find the location: Sir I have lost my laptop and it's location is off how to find the laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-sir-i-have-lost-my-laptop-and-its-location-is/2aae5718-19f6-4a70-b105-b6ff31b11620
  5. Hi sir I have lost my laptop and it's location is off how can I find the location

Hi sir I have lost my laptop and it's location is off how can I find the location: Sir I have lost my laptop and it's location is off how to find the laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-sir-i-have-lost-my-laptop-and-its-location-is/2aae5718-19f6-4a70-b105-b6ff31b11620
  6. I lost my laptop and I try lock it through find my device but fail, why?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I lost my laptop and I try lock it through find my device but fail, why?: I lost my laptop and I try lock it through find my device but fail, why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-my-laptop-and-i-try-lock-it-through-find-my/93c0776a-af12-47f7-a591-d7b1615de7dd
  7. I lost my laptop and I try lock it through find my device but fail, why?

I lost my laptop and I try lock it through find my device but fail, why?: I lost my laptop and I try lock it through find my device but fail, why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-my-laptop-and-i-try-lock-it-through-find-my/93c0776a-af12-47f7-a591-d7b1615de7dd
  8. I lost my laptop and I try lock it through find my device but fail, why?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. Hi,I'm a student so I lost my laptop though when I try to find it it's device location is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi,I'm a student so I lost my laptop though when I try to find it it's device location is...: Please I really need some assistance ASAP,I'd appreciate that mates.Good day friends https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hiim-a-student-so-i-lost-my-laptop-though-when-i/2db9efa2-4c73-452b-b166-20a377cca414
  10. Hi,I'm a student so I lost my laptop though when I try to find it it's device location is...

Hi,I'm a student so I lost my laptop though when I try to find it it's device location is...: Please I really need some assistance ASAP,I'd appreciate that mates.Good day friends https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hiim-a-student-so-i-lost-my-laptop-though-when-i/2db9efa2-4c73-452b-b166-20a377cca414