Windows 10: Hi. I'm having trouble restoring my system with a Windows Image Backup

Discus and support Hi. I'm having trouble restoring my system with a Windows Image Backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi. I'm having trouble restoring my system with a Windows Image Backup. I have the folder WindowsImageBackup but the MediaID.bin file seems to be from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Árni Freyr Jónsson, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Hi. I'm having trouble restoring my system with a Windows Image Backup

Hi. I'm having trouble restoring my system with a Windows Image Backup. I have the folder WindowsImageBackup but the MediaID.bin file seems to be from the wrong date and I suspect that is the reason the Windows Image Backup restore does not work, it does not find the backup on my Seagate external drive.

I have read on the Internet that the file MediaID.bin on the root of the backup drive is corrupt or not the right file at all. I found the a command line command named sdutil.exe can rebuild this MediaID.bin file for me but the command does not work posssibly because those wrinting about his sdutil.exe command are using Windows Vista or Windows 7 but I am using Windows 10 and the backup was made with Windows 10. Can you somehow help me get my Windows restore working? In order to get my very latest backup, I need this severely. I was also using incremental backups daily with the built in Windows 10 backup software.

I expect someone at Microsoft can help me either do a restore somehow or help me find a sdutil.exe with works for Windows 10.

Please help,

I'm Arni.

:)

Árni Freyr Jónsson, Jan 21, 2021

2. Having trouble creating a backup image

Hello Shane,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10 and for being a part of Windows 10 family.

As per the issue description you are unable to create a system image of your computer. I would suggest you to refer the steps provided below and see if it helps you to create a system image.

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Control panel from the list.
    • Select large icons under view by option.
    • Open File history.
    • Click the System Image Backup link in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
    • Connect an external USB hard drive with enough free space.
    • In the backup wizard, you'll be prompted to choose from one of the three options to save the backup. For this example, we are going select the hard drive you just connected. However, keep in mind that you can backup to DVD blanks and a network share, but
      these options will slow down the backup process.

Hi. I'm having trouble restoring my system with a Windows Image Backup 022d2731-5ebc-450e-a935-4865fd418c2a.png

• Click Next.
    • Confirm and begin the process by clicking Start backup.

Hi. I'm having trouble restoring my system with a Windows Image Backup ffeb6690-eebd-4dcd-bcd8-0b7f6a90070f.png

• The backup could take anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours, it all depends on the amount of data to be backed up.
    • And yes, during the backup process, you can use your computer as you would normally do.

Hope the information provided is helpful. Do let us know if you have any more concern related to Windows. We will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Jan 21, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Hi. I'm having trouble restoring my system with a Windows Image Backup [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Jan 21, 2021
  4. jellyroll Win User

Hi. I'm having trouble restoring my system with a Windows Image Backup

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

AndreTen - I have tried Disk Cleanup but unfortunately the problem entries did not go away.
    I feel certain Bree (VIP Member) has identified the correct cause of this problem as above and his adviced solution should also do the trick.

- - - Updated - - -

Bree - Thank you. I must admit that I did use 'Create system image' a few times in 'Backup & Restore (Windows 7)' instead of 'Backup now' and these ghost entries relate to those actions. You have rightly identified the cause of this issue.
    It is crazy that Microsoft has put two different backup options causing the issue of these ghost restore points.

Regarding your advice on how to rectify the issue - I must add that I am not very computer savvy and feel reluctant to use Diskpart utility etc to delete 'WindowsImageBackup\SPPMetadataCache' and 'WindowsImageBackup\Catalog folders' from within 'System Volume Information' folder with command Prompt as I fear damaging the pc by making any mistakes, as I have never done this before.

Please advice if there may be another simpler method to delete the above folders OR if you are able and have time to post a step by step instructions (with pictures if possible) on how to follow your advice. Much appreciated.

jellyroll, Jan 21, 2021
Thema:

Hi. I'm having trouble restoring my system with a Windows Image Backup

1. Hi. I'm having trouble restoring my system with a Windows Image Backup - Similar Threads - I'm having trouble

2. Trouble restoring a system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trouble restoring a system image: A few months ago I was having some trouble with my computer shutting down randomly or whenever I plugged in an external drive. I've fixed the problem and my computer is running normally now. At some point I tried reinstalling windows, but I was having some trouble making a...
  3. Trouble restoring a system image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble restoring a system image: A few months ago I was having some trouble with my computer shutting down randomly or whenever I plugged in an external drive. I've fixed the problem and my computer is running normally now. At some point I tried reinstalling windows, but I was having some trouble making a...
  4. Trouble restoring a system image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Having Trouble with Restoring System Image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having Trouble with Restoring System Image: So recently I bought a new laptop that runs Windows 11. My old laptop runs Windows 10. I figured that I'd save a system image of my old laptop, restore it on my new laptop, and then re-upgrade my new laptop to Windows 11. I made the system image of my old computer onto a hard...
  6. Having Trouble with Restoring System Image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Having Trouble with Restoring System Image: So recently I bought a new laptop that runs Windows 11. My old laptop runs Windows 10. I figured that I'd save a system image of my old laptop, restore it on my new laptop, and then re-upgrade my new laptop to Windows 11. I made the system image of my old computer onto a hard...
  7. backup and restore system image fails

backup and restore system image fails: I am having a problem with backup and restore not completing a system image backup. I've researched this problem in this forum and have not found an answer that works. I have an Acer machine running windows 10 Home. It has a 1 TB internal hard drive and a 1TB external hard...
  8. Restoring from system image backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring from system image backup: submitted by /u/SgtJackVisback [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lk0h04/restoring_from_system_image_backup/
  9. Combinte backup and restore system images

Combinte backup and restore system images: I have been testing different backup programs, and periodically I manually created a system image using backup and restore. However, I did not always use the same external drive for these images. As a result, I have a WindowsImageBackup folder on two different drives. Is...
  10. How to restore system image backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to restore system image backup: Hi guys, i made a system image backup of the window 10 running on my toshiba laptop via control panel on a external harddrive. And i am trying to restore it by going to window recovery, then system image recovery in advanced options. But the problem i am facing it that when i...