Windows 10: HIbernate does not work (and lots of the obvious fixes already tried

Discus and support HIbernate does not work (and lots of the obvious fixes already tried in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Exact description: Hibernate enabled (powercfg -h on) hiberfil.sys file present ( and = RAM) and tons of free space on C:\ When I click hibernate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kitkline, Aug 18, 2015.

1. kitkline Win User

HIbernate does not work (and lots of the obvious fixes already tried

Exact description:

Hibernate enabled (powercfg -h on)
    hiberfil.sys file present ( and = RAM) and tons of free space on C:\
    When I click hibernate from power menu I see the following
    (a) Instant black screen but power light still on)
    (b) No change until I press and hold down power button for a hard stop

I have tried the following which are often suggested as fixes for this

(a) powercfg -h off, powercfg -h on
    (b) Check no wake up timers

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /WAKETIMERS
    There are no active wake timers in the system
    (c) Check that hiberfil.sys present - and it's last modify time does seem to change on hibernate
    (d) Scandisk

Anybody got any new ideas for this issue - anything else I can try to diagnose the issue - it drives me nuts that I cannot hibernate

Also worth noting that shtudown does not work sometimes either (hard power down required to turn off laptoop)

It's an HP Envy with 5GB ram and an i7 processor

Cheers
    Kit

:)

kitkline, Aug 18, 2015
  2. JE Amp Win User

Windows 10 Battery Time Remaining Always Calculating Never Showing How Much Time Left

Hello,

Do you know where to find the driver for toshiba P50-A?

I already tried a lot of stuff after upgrading to windows 10 but it still showing up as calculating at 0%.

It hibernate when I unplug it. But when I disable the ACPI driver, it wont hibernate and I can use it on batteries.

I already tried reinstalling the ACPI driver but it didn't work. I tried draining the battery then reinstall it after but still did not work. I also tried doing a clean install. Not sure what to do now.

Thanks in Advancce.

JE Amp, Aug 18, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Pro - PowerCFG Hibernate TYPE???

If you have Windows 10 and no option to use hibernate and tried already the command

powercfg.exe /a

getting the information:"hiberfile type does not support hibernation"

than

use this command

powercfg.exe /h /type full
    and to check that it works, use this command

shutdown /h

to switch to hibernating

If you are as happy as i was then push the Solved my problem button!

HIbernate does not work (and lots of the obvious fixes already tried :D

danielvan der lek, Aug 18, 2015
  4. Rudy Mas Win User

In this case, I would think about a driver or some software that is having a problem shutting down.

If you use shut down, does Windows complain about something that doesn't want to shut down? If so, this could be the guilty one. If not, then it's harder to pinpoint what is going wrong.

First, I would suggest going to the HP website and downloading all the new updated drivers there. I did this with my HP ProBook, and it fixed a few little problems I had with it. There was even a new BIOS version there for my laptop, so I think they found something in the BIOS that was even troubling Windows 10 and had to fix it. *Smile

The second thing I would try, is manually shutting down all the running programs. This way, you can see if any of them have problems shutting down, or when they are shut down, if you can shut down your laptop. It's a lot of work, but these are the things I would try at first.

If all of this doesn't work, and you haven't done a clean install yet, I would try this as a last resort. What you could do, is make an image of your harddisk first. If then a clean install has the same problems, you can always go back to your previous installation with all your software intact. Does it fix it, well, then you have a choice. Or you install all your programs that you use again, or go back and try to find out what is causing your troubles. At least, you will know that a clean install was OK or not.

Rudy Mas, Aug 18, 2015
Thema:

1. HIbernate does not work (and lots of the obvious fixes already tried - Similar Threads - HIbernate does lots

2. Fixed: Hibernate does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fixed: Hibernate does not work: Hi all,For you few who are sporadic computer users but want to come back to things as you left them...and/or you care deeply about the environment and want to stop your overnight drain...So you've gone to the trouble of re-enabling hibernate, and found that it's still...
  3. Fixed: Hibernate does not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fixed: Hibernate does not work: Hi all,For you few who are sporadic computer users but want to come back to things as you left them...and/or you care deeply about the environment and want to stop your overnight drain...So you've gone to the trouble of re-enabling hibernate, and found that it's still...
  4. Exe file not working - Windows 10 obvious solutions already tried

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Exe file not working - Windows 10 obvious solutions already tried: I have Windows 10. About three weeks ago i used a program iStitch2 successfully, but yesterday, when I tried to open the program it failed. When clicking on the icon, a wheel appears for 2-3 seconds then disappears, so no error message is generated. Nothing is shown in Task...
  5. Exe file not working - Windows 10 obvious solutions already tried

Exe file not working - Windows 10 obvious solutions already tried: I have Windows 10. About three weeks ago i used a program iStitch2 successfully, but yesterday, when I tried to open the program it failed. When clicking on the icon, a wheel appears for 2-3 seconds then disappears, so no error message is generated. Nothing is shown in Task...
  6. Exe file not working - Windows 10 obvious solutions already tried

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Internet not working on both WiFi and Ethernet. I've tried a lot of things already

Internet not working on both WiFi and Ethernet. I've tried a lot of things already: I have Windows 11 Home version 22H2.My wifi is connected and it says "Internet Access". But can't get to any websites site can't be reached.My phone and other computers on the WiFi work fine so it's probably not a problem with my router.I connect directly to Ethernet and it...
  8. Hibernate does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernate does not work: My home PC can go more than a week without use, so hibernate was a crucial function for me in windows 7-10. But hibernate does not function so far in Windows 11 - my PC is sleeping and the battery is draining to empty. I set it to shut down when it got to 8% battery after...
  9. Hibernate does not work

Hibernate does not work: My home PC can go more than a week without use, so hibernate was a crucial function for me in windows 7-10. But hibernate does not function so far in Windows 11 - my PC is sleeping and the battery is draining to empty. I set it to shut down when it got to 8% battery after...
  10. irql_not_less_or_equal storahci.sys (tried a lot of stuff already)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    irql_not_less_or_equal storahci.sys (tried a lot of stuff already): Hi, Complete machine specification; https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-phoenix-860-000-desktop-pc-series/8499708/model/9242987/document/c04818319 TLDR; Intel Core i7-6700, 16gb Memory (PC4-17000 MB/s, DDR4-2133), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980Ti, 128 GB, SATA, Solid...