Windows 10: Hibernate no longer working for desktop PC

Discus and support Hibernate no longer working for desktop PC in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a custom built desktop PC running Windows Pro 10 version 10.0.19044 Build 19044.I generally use Hibernate to turn off the PC at the end of each... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Paul [IT], Sep 27, 2022.

1. Paul [IT] Win User

Hibernate no longer working for desktop PC

I have a custom built desktop PC running Windows Pro 10 version 10.0.19044 Build 19044.I generally use Hibernate to turn off the PC at the end of each day and turning on the following morning continues with the apps etc. that were running as expected.However, last week, that stopped happening.Now, when I turn on the PC on in the morning, it is as though it was shutdown the previous night and it performs a full startup, loosing all the apps that were previously running.I have recently installed a smart plug to fully isolate the power to the PC and other devices printer etc in an attempt to re

:)

Paul [IT], Sep 27, 2022

2. Desktop Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate Icons

I discovered some time ago a simple means of adding two desktop icons to cover Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. I now use these icons all the time as it avoids using the Start procedure, which I never use at all unless I wish to Restart immediately after shutdown. Even then, I tend to use my desktop icons. Just close the browser, click the desktop icon and it is done.

On your desktop, right click the free space, then click new shortcut, you get a Wizard, copy/paste the command for the location type from one of the below commands (in this case, %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState ). Then click Next. You are asked to give it a title - Standby, Hibernate or Shutdown, I suggest using "Standby/Hibernate", click Finish.

Shutdown: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s
    Reboot: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r
    Logoff: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -l
    Standby: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
    Hibernate: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Hibernate
    I have listed Hibernate for reference only, as the Hibernate desktop icon does not work for systems reasons, Hibernate can only be achieved by manually using the Power Options properties panel.

Use CNTRL+C to copy and CNTRL+V to paste.

Hibernate is automatic if the Hibernate box is checked in the Power Options properties panel. If the box is not checked, then Standby is automatic. You have to select this box to give you the option you want.

Standby is more convenient if you are using the PC constantly, it is a quicker recovery, but has a power trickle. For long periods of absence, use Hibernate, it is much slower in recovering, but effectively shuts your computer down.

The Power options panel is found by Control Panel>Power Options>Hibernate.

The two desktop icons created can be changed by Right clicking the icon then Properties>Change icon>Browse>Windows 32>shell32dll>select icon>OK>Apply>OK
    You now have two brand new icons on your desktop for Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. It works a treat.

My icons are :-

Hibernate no longer working for desktop PC Desktopicons-1.png

Bald Eagle, Sep 27, 2022
  3. Hibernation and Sleep not working on my WIndows 10 PC after latest update

Hello,

There are many possible reasons for this hibernation and sleep not working issue. The most common causes are
    corrupted Power settings or outdated display drivers. In order for us to efficiently assist you with your concern regarding the issue of waking up from sleep/hibernation, we just have a few questions for you:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?
    • Did you get any error messages upon waking up your computer from hibernation/sleep?
    • Have you also tried performing the power troubleshooter?
    If you still haven't, we suggest trying the steps below:

• Press Windows key + W and type Troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting and click on System and Security.
    • Click on Power and follow the onscreen steps.

Delete the current power plan and create it again.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Michelle Vil, Sep 27, 2022
  4. Ernie San Win User

hibernate, but shuts down

Hello,

We suggest to manually setup hibernation on your computer. You may follow the steps below:

• Right-click on your desktop and select Personalize.
    • Click Lock screen>Screen saver settings>Change power settings>Choose what the power buttons do.

• Change the settings When I press the power button, click
      hibernate.
    • Click Save changes.
    Keep us posted.

Regards.

Ernie San, Sep 27, 2022
Thema:

1. Hibernate no longer working for desktop PC - Similar Threads - Hibernate longer working

2. Hibernate mode no longer working in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hibernate mode no longer working in Windows 10: For many years, I used sleep mode in between sessions so that my apps would retain their open windows and files. Then when sleep mode stopped working and causing my computer to freeze requiring a hard boot,...
  3. Hibernate mode no longer working in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernate mode no longer working in Windows 10: For many years, I used sleep mode in between sessions so that my apps would retain their open windows and files. Then when sleep mode stopped working and causing my computer to freeze requiring a hard boot,...
  4. Hibernate mode no longer working in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hibernate no longer working for desktop PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernate no longer working for desktop PC: I have a custom built desktop PC running Windows Pro 10 version 10.0.19044 Build 19044.I generally use Hibernate to turn off the PC at the end of each day and turning on the following morning continues with the apps etc. that were running as expected.However, last week, that...
  6. Hibernate no longer working for desktop PC

Hibernate no longer working for desktop PC: I have a custom built desktop PC running Windows Pro 10 version 10.0.19044 Build 19044.I generally use Hibernate to turn off the PC at the end of each day and turning on the following morning continues with the apps etc. that were running as expected.However, last week, that...
  7. Desktop no longer working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop no longer working: Help.I was installing the latest driver for W10 21H2 on my desktop PC Which was running fine but then the power went out during the instalation.Now the PC turns on but all i get is a black screen, no win logo or manufacturer logo motherboard therefore i can't access any safe...
  8. Desktop no longer working

Desktop no longer working: Help.I was installing the latest driver for W10 21H2 on my desktop PC Which was running fine but then the power went out during the instalation.Now the PC turns on but all i get is a black screen, no win logo or manufacturer logo motherboard therefore i can't access any safe...
  9. Desktop no longer working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. PC no longer hibernates after 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC no longer hibernates after 20H2: My computer only shuts down now no matter what. What can I do to fix this? This update has been hell so far. I have no restore points apparently either. Edit: this includes sleep mode too. Shuts down submitted by /u/d1ez3 [link] [comments]...