Windows 10: HIbernate or shut down?

Discus and support HIbernate or shut down? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've always had the practice of shutting down my home pc/laptop before going to bed. I always used the hibernate option throughout the day while I"m... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by archz2, May 14, 2017.

1. archz2 Win User

HIbernate or shut down?

I've always had the practice of shutting down my home pc/laptop before going to bed. I always used the hibernate option throughout the day while I"m working on it/them. A lot of my friends had their hard drives crashed and always used the hibernate option. This despite the fact that both me and my friends use our machines for hours during the day. I had this weird belief that hibernate reduces the life of hard disk and adds pressure on it. Shutdown keeps it healthy. Few days ago I read that recent computers are best suited for hibernate option and shutdown isn't necessary. My PC has got i3 processor and the motherboard was bought in 2010. It is running windows 10 - 64 bit. My laptop has got an i5 processsor and I bought it in 2014. It is running windows 8.1Should I always hibernate my PC/Laptop or carry on with my practice of shutdown as I finish my day and the use the machine for the last time?

:)

archz2, May 14, 2017
  2. OmerIkuzo Win User

Windows 10 1607 Hibernates itself

It stopped Hibernating itself, but now instead of it hibernating it shut down instead

OmerIkuzo, May 14, 2017
  3. Computer Stuck Hibernating

I have a Windows 10 Toshiba Satellite. When I shut down my laptop, it doesn't completely shut down but instead finishes by going into hibernation. Restart sometimes shuts the laptop down instead of restarting. When it goes into hibernation, mouse and keys
    and power button don't wake it up. I tried shutting off hibernation entirely with power settings and command prompt, but that didn't help. Turning on a screen saver helped it not go into hibernation when I left it for a minute. Help?

SherwoodWriter, May 14, 2017
  4. Steve C Win User

HIbernate or shut down?

I generally shut down at the end of the day since all my PCs have SSDs and booting from cold is fast. I've turned off hibernate but may use sleep if I'm pausing work at the PC for a while.

Steve C, May 14, 2017
  5. archz2 Win User
    My hard drives are SATA.

archz2, May 14, 2017
  6. Starting and stopping HDD stresses it, but both hibernate and shutdown do it, so it does not matter. Shutdown is a more reliable option for OS, not to mention, that hibernate can take a little more energy.

TairikuOkami, May 14, 2017
  7. archz2 Win User
    I only don't want to end up crashing and stressing my hard drive. My only need for hibernate is saving time to start up every heavy loaded graphics software. I use a lot from Adobe's universe and Autodesk's.

I'm considering the ritual of hibernate as a permanent solution to save my time. I just wanted assurance from an expert like you so that I stay calm about entering this ritual and getting rid of the shutdown before the day ends practice.

Of course, I'll do a complete restart for the matters of software installs and windows update, but not everyday.

So, I can do hibernate session that last for a month, and keep my system running for more than one day. Yeah? I mean, in the performance tab of task manager, I can have pc running time as 30 days+ and it will not affect the health of my PC. Right?

Sorry for being repetitive but I'm little paranoid about this ..

archz2, May 14, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

HIbernate or shut down?

I always hibernate, and was doing so for a year with Windows 7 before the free upgrade to 10. I've never had any hardware problems.

Once in a while there's a software glitch that needs a restart to fix it, but that can happen at any time if you leave the system running long enough, whether or not you use hibernation.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

HIbernate or shut down?

1. HIbernate or shut down? - Similar Threads - HIbernate shut down

2. shut down and hibernate not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    shut down and hibernate not working: my notebook computer. when I shun down or hibernate, the screen will dark a few seconds and then turn to light. for solve the problem, I have reinstalled in USB flash drive but invalid. I try to turn off fast startup follow advice on Internet. In Administrator cmd, I'm run...
  3. shut down and hibernate not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shut down and hibernate not working: my notebook computer. when I shun down or hibernate, the screen will dark a few seconds and then turn to light. for solve the problem, I have reinstalled in USB flash drive but invalid. I try to turn off fast startup follow advice on Internet. In Administrator cmd, I'm run...
  4. INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR after shutting down or hibernating

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR after shutting down or hibernating: Hi Experts, I have a HP Elitebook 840 G5 that is running into INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR bugcheck when starting up the laptop after shutting down, rebooting or hibernating. This issue is intermittent but it's happening quite a few times for the past couple of months to be...
  5. Hibernation shuts down the PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hibernation shuts down the PC: Everytime I click on hibernate, instead of hibernating, it immediately and instantly shuts down the PC and next time I open up, I have to open all apps. It just goes OFF instantly The power plan settings hard disk turn off is set to 0 as advised. This happened after may 2020...
  6. Sleep, Hibernate & Shut down issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep, Hibernate & Shut down issue: Hello, Recently I had replaced new battery and Hard disk for my laptop(HP Pavilion p045tx notebook, 4th i7, 8 GB/1 TB). Then Changed the OS to windows 10 instead of previous 8.1. Till then, the laptop is facing issues with sleep, hibernate & shut down functions. When I...
  7. "Shut Down" only enters Hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    "Shut Down" only enters Hibernate: Here's something strange! I tried to shut my computer down because of another problem, and I found that it only went into Hibernate. When I started it back up, programs were still running that would have normally been turned off when the computer shuts down. So I tried it...
  8. Windows will not shut down, hibernate or sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows will not shut down, hibernate or sleep: I had problem dual booting win7 and win10. After many attempts I was able to dual boot. But in the process, I deleted "system reserved" partition. So windows want start. I performed start up repair and it solved the problem. After that I reinstalled win7 ultimate which...
  9. Laptop not Shutting down Nor Hibernating

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop not Shutting down Nor Hibernating: Hi Everyone I have HP elitebook 8460P Core i5 Second generation laptop. And I installed windows 10 32bit. But there is a big problem. And the problem is that , that when i am clicking on shut down, shutting down screen appears. and after that My PC's screen become black,...
  10. Shutting down coming out of Hibernation???

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutting down coming out of Hibernation???: Hi All I have a weird problem that started about 3 months ago before that all was well, if I put my Windows 10 laptop into Hibernation when I try to bring it out it shuts down, it does start to try to open but it gets to the point where the black background with the blue...