Windows 10: Hibernating laptop changes to sleep behaviour after Windows 10 May 2019 update

Discus and support Hibernating laptop changes to sleep behaviour after Windows 10 May 2019 update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I am currently using Windows 10 Education version 1903 (May 2019 update). I am a big fan of the hibernate feature as I am always working with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Phillmont, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Phillmont Win User

Hibernating laptop changes to sleep behaviour after Windows 10 May 2019 update

Hi,

I am currently using Windows 10 Education version 1903 (May 2019 update). I am a big fan of the hibernate feature as I am always working with projects and it is very convenient to leave my session the way it is without sacrificing my battery and resume the work the next day.

After updating to May 2019 update (I have been using 1809, fyi), when I hibernate my laptop, the computer shuts off as expected. However, the next day, when I open the lid, the computer turns on automatically without pressing the power button. I know, it's strange, but here are some observations:

• The same thing happens even if I let the lid open and wait for the computer to turn off properly after hibernating, then close the lid.
    • In the morning, before I turn the laptop on, the activity LED indicators (those LEDs that blinks and shows hard drive activity or power) were OFF. So I was sure that the computer was not in Sleep mode.
    • After I booted the laptop, my battery dropped from 100% to 90% or 85%. I always use my computer plugged in, and after I turn it off, I always unplug the adapter. I do this to (1) preserve my battery by trying to keep the charge cycle low unless necessary, and (2) save electricity lol
    • If I shut down the computer, the next day, my computer does not turn on automatically after I open the lid, though.

And here are some of the things I have tried:

• I have updated my BIOS and there are no options pertaining to the "starting up computer by opening lid" behaviour (my BIOS does not even have that option in the very first day I own this laptop).
    • Setting What happens when I close the lid option to Do nothing on both battery and plugged in.
    • Disabling and enabling Fast startup and Hibernate option in Power settings.
    • Doing a hard reset.
    • Running sfc /scannow and sure enough, Windows did not find any integrity violations Hibernating laptop changes to sleep behaviour after Windows 10 May 2019 update :)
    • Clicked the Check for updates button in Windows Update settings until I got no more updates (so I'm super latest now).

I don't even know what to put in the post title because this problem is very strange LOL

I decided to post in this community because I see that this problem exists after I update to May 2019 update. Hope that I have provided enough details. Thank you.

:)

Phillmont, Jun 6, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Office 2019

Only supported on Win10. Sorry, 8.1 users, only 4 years old, gotta go.

Microsoft Office 2019 will only work on Windows 10

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...-to-office-and-windows-servicing-and-support/

Spoiler Office 2019
    Last year at Ignite, we announced Office 2019 – the next perpetual version of Office that includes apps (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, and Skype for Business) and servers (including Exchange, SharePoint, and Skype for Business). Today we’re pleased to share the following updates:

• Office 2019 will ship in H2 of 2018. Previews of the new apps and servers will start shipping in the second quarter of 2018.
    • Office 2019 apps will be supported on:
      • Any supported Windows 10 SAC release
      • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2018
      • The next LTSC release of Windows Server
    • The Office 2019 client apps will be released with Click-to-Run installation technology only. We will not provide MSI as a deployment methodology for Office 2019 clients. We will continue to provide MSI for Office Server products.

Ahhzz, Jun 6, 2019
  3. Hibernation and Sleep not working on my WIndows 10 PC after latest update

Hello,

There are many possible reasons for this hibernation and sleep not working issue. The most common causes are
    corrupted Power settings or outdated display drivers. In order for us to efficiently assist you with your concern regarding the issue of waking up from sleep/hibernation, we just have a few questions for you:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?
    • Did you get any error messages upon waking up your computer from hibernation/sleep?
    • Have you also tried performing the power troubleshooter?
    If you still haven't, we suggest trying the steps below:

• Press Windows key + W and type Troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting and click on System and Security.
    • Click on Power and follow the onscreen steps.

Delete the current power plan and create it again.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Michelle Vil, Jun 6, 2019
  4. Mussels Win User

sleep or hibernate

sleep and hibernate are the same thing now.

S3 'sleep' has the entire system powered off, EXCEPT for system ram. a copy of ram is stored on the HDD when entering sleep.
    To answer the OP's question about the HDD taking wear and tear moving the laptop around - in sleep mode, it is powered off. ONLY system RAM has power in S3 sleep states.

Hibernate is when it loses power, it boots from the saved copy of ram. Often, this can load slower than a fresh boot since it has to load more from the HDD than usual.

so asking which you prefer... well, unless its a laptop you plan to store overnight or something, use sleep. its the same thing.

S3 sleep drains my laptop battery at only 2-3% an hour, so its not like its going to have a large impact on daily use.

Mussels, Jun 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Hibernating laptop changes to sleep behaviour after Windows 10 May 2019 update - Similar Threads - Hibernating laptop changes

2. Very strange behaviour with sleep and hibernate

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Very strange behaviour with sleep and hibernate: Hello everyone! I rarely use sleep or hibernate so I do not know when this problem was introduced but I first noted it earlier this week. If I put my computer to sleep it immediately wakes every time. Pretty odd, but even odder is the fact that according to powercfg /lastwake...
  3. Strange sleep/hibernate behaviour.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange sleep/hibernate behaviour.: Hi, I've just bought an HP Zbook Studio G7, and I'm having issues when I try to put the system to sleep using the 'sleep' key on a Logitech MX Keys Bluetooth keyboard. I'm running Windows 10 Pro version 2004. All drivers are up to date. When I press the sleep key on the...
  4. Sleeping and Hibernating with Issues and Erratic Behaviour

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleeping and Hibernating with Issues and Erratic Behaviour: All or any of the following situations can happened when I try to put my computer either in sleep or hibernate mode. The computer seldom enters and stays in sleeping or hibernate mode until I awake it; The computer enters in sleeping or hibernate, stays for from a few...
  5. HP Laptop Hibernates after sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    HP Laptop Hibernates after sleep: I have set my HP 250 G7 to sleep after 30 minutes when plugged in but after a couple of hours it switches to hibernate. I am not sure when this started happening eg after a BIOS update or Windows update to 1909 but it never used to do this it would remain in sleep mode and I...
  6. Sleep mode is not working after Windows May 2019 Update

Sleep mode is not working after Windows May 2019 Update: Hello everyone. I am having a problem with getting my computer into sleep mode. Recently, I just updated the Windows version to May 2019 update. When I clicked on sleep mode, the computer went into blue screen and suddenly blacked out. Anyone knows what's happening?...
  7. Problems with Office 2019 after sleep/hibernate

Problems with Office 2019 after sleep/hibernate: Running Windows 10 Pro/64bit, version 1903 on a MSI GS73 and after replacing my Office 2013 with Office 2019 Pro Plus I have issues with Office after sleep and hibernate. Parts of content (menu items etc.) in the Office programs are missing. It is fixed by re-starting each...
  8. May 2019 update on windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    May 2019 update on windows 10: I did the may 2019 update: next day when I tried to sign on, windows does not recognize my password, opens as if I am a new Microsoft/windows account ( home screen with a window) and all folders/photos (and some apps) missing. I'm asked to set up new account because it says...
  9. Windows 10 May 2019 Update

Windows 10 May 2019 Update: [ATTACH]Hello, I am using Windows 10 and currently on version 1809 May 2019 update. While everyone else is on Version 1903 May 2019 update. Why am i still stuck on Windows 10 Version 1809 while other people are on Windows 10 Version 1903?...
  10. Hibernating Laptop before Windows 10 May 2019 Update

Hibernating Laptop before Windows 10 May 2019 Update: I am currently running Windows 10 April 2018 Update (Build 17134.706) and I skipped the Windows 10 April 2018 Update because of potential data loss. I plan to update the laptop to Windows 10 May 2019 Update after several weeks. Upon downloading the update, is it okay to...