Windows 10: Hibernation, Battery Questions, Sleep, etc.

Discus and support Hibernation, Battery Questions, Sleep, etc. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As you all know, I have my new HP Laptop. If I am not around it long enough, it goes into hibernation mode. I really don't like it to hibernate because... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jesse Williams, May 4, 2020.

1. Hibernation, Battery Questions, Sleep, etc.

As you all know, I have my new HP Laptop. If I am not around it long enough, it goes into hibernation mode. I really don't like it to hibernate because when I try to wake it up from hibernation, it won't wake up by the press of the (ENTER) button. I have to press the (POWER) button to get it to wake up and it acts as if its been shut down when it hasn't.

Do I need to disable Hibernation? But what about the battery life? I don't want my battery life to be affected and I don't want it to die from a low battery.

I just want it to sleep like my desktop does.

Will it hurt if I leave it plugged in the charger all the time?

Windows 10 Version 1909

:)

Jesse Williams, May 4, 2020
  2. Mussels Win User

sleep or hibernate

sleep and hibernate are the same thing now.

S3 'sleep' has the entire system powered off, EXCEPT for system ram. a copy of ram is stored on the HDD when entering sleep.
    To answer the OP's question about the HDD taking wear and tear moving the laptop around - in sleep mode, it is powered off. ONLY system RAM has power in S3 sleep states.

Hibernate is when it loses power, it boots from the saved copy of ram. Often, this can load slower than a fresh boot since it has to load more from the HDD than usual.

so asking which you prefer... well, unless its a laptop you plan to store overnight or something, use sleep. its the same thing.

S3 sleep drains my laptop battery at only 2-3% an hour, so its not like its going to have a large impact on daily use.

Mussels, May 4, 2020
  3. Bonzo 76 Win User
    Battery drain in sleep and hibernation

Since a clean installation of Win 10 my laptop battery has begun to completely drain overnight when in sleep or hibernate modes. It is ok when powered off so I suspect the battery is ok.

Any suggestions?

Bonzo 76, May 4, 2020
  4. Hibernation, Battery Questions, Sleep, etc.

Battery drain in hibernation

This is a volunteers forum. We cannot fix anything for you!

I would start by taking these steps:

1. Put Windows into hibernation.
    2. Get it out of hibernation.
    3. Check the time stamp of the hidden file C:\Hiberfil.sys. Does it reflect the time when you took Step 1 above? If it does not then the machine was not in hibernation.
    4. Before going to bed, make a note of the battery charge.
    5. Switch the machine off and unplug the power cord.
    6. Next morning, before plugging in the power cord but after turning it on, make another note of the battery charge. If there is a noticeable discharge then you have a leaky battery or a problem with the motherboard. Windows can't be the culprit because it
      was off all night.

Frederik Long, May 4, 2020
Thema:

Hibernation, Battery Questions, Sleep, etc.

1. Hibernation, Battery Questions, Sleep, etc. - Similar Threads - Hibernation Battery Questions

2. Heavy battery loss on sleep and Hibernation mode - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Heavy battery loss on sleep and Hibernation mode - Windows 11: HiI have recently got this laptop from HP with windows 11 the laptop has a peculiar problem of battery drain on sleep mode. the laptop loses almost 20 percent battery in 8 hours of night and at times you cannot even boot the laptop because it has reached to reserve battery...
  3. Heavy battery loss on sleep and Hibernation mode - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Heavy battery loss on sleep and Hibernation mode - Windows 11: HiI have recently got this laptop from HP with windows 11 the laptop has a peculiar problem of battery drain on sleep mode. the laptop loses almost 20 percent battery in 8 hours of night and at times you cannot even boot the laptop because it has reached to reserve battery...
  4. Hibernate doesn't hibernate but goes into sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hibernate doesn't hibernate but goes into sleep: Hello,I have an issue with hibernate, when I hit the hibernate button, my laptop does not go into hibernate but it seems like it goes into sleep.This problem does not happen right after a restart but only after the laptop is running for a while.I noticed this when I...
  5. Battery is drained is hibernate\sleep on Windows 10 laptop

Battery is drained is hibernate\sleep on Windows 10 laptop: Hey My Windows 10 laptop battery is drained overnight when it goes to hibernation, and sometimes when it goes sleep\hibernate\screen is turned of - it cant be woken up screen is black and nothing is responding- only option is to force shutdown by long pressing power button...
  6. Question about sleep mode and hibernation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about sleep mode and hibernation: So recently my pc has stopped going to sleep, when I press it, windows shuts down but the components inside remain on and when I press the power button to attempt to wake up my pc it doesn’t do anything. Anyone know how to fix this? submitted by /u/kumquatguava1002 [link]...
  7. Battery drain in hibernation

Battery drain in hibernation: I have my laptop set to hibernate after I press my power button when I have finished using it for the moment. After a recent update, I have noticed that there seems to be a drain on my battery after I have put the pc in hibernation. The battery will have more than 50% power...
  8. Sleep & Hibernate

Sleep & Hibernate: Other than maybe creating a custom power plan via Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Create a Power Plan, how do I get my laptop to sleep or hibernate automatically? Long story short, I was using my laptop and Microsoft Edge to watch shows on CBS.com last...
  9. Sleep and hibernation

Sleep and hibernation: When I put my windows 10 PC to sleep it wakes up again after about 5 minutes, I have also tried hibernation mode and that does not work either, even when unplugging mouse, keyboard and, HDMI lead it still wakes up, I have even tried turning off notifications but still no...
  10. cant change battery sleep and hibernate option

in Windows 10 Customization
    cant change battery sleep and hibernate option: Dear community Can anyone tell me how to reach a live person at Microsoft. I tried the chat feature and it made me go thru all kinds of insane mesures to set up an account which was basically send me in circles. I gave up. I have tried everything under the sun to change the...