Windows 10: Hibernation not working after Windows updates

Discus and support Hibernation not working after Windows updates in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've been having a problem from time to time with my Dell XPS 8930 that has the Optane memory (probably not the cause). After updating Windows, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by GaryFuchikami, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Hibernation not working after Windows updates

I've been having a problem from time to time with my Dell XPS 8930 that has the Optane memory (probably not the cause). After updating Windows, I sometimes find that when I hibernate the computer, the next time I turn it on, it's as if it had shut down rather than hibernate because it takes as long to boot as if it were a cold boot and none of the apps are running that I had open when I hibernated. At that point my only option is to put the computer to sleep as I can't wait a few minutes each time for it to boot.

However, I would notice that there's another Windows 10 update a few days later so when I did that update, now hibernation works as designed. Of course, later on when there's yet another Windows 10 update and I install it, sometimes hibernation doesn't work again. Then, later when there's yet another update that I install, hibernation works again.

Could it be that the subsequent updates are addressing the non-working hibernation function which is why the update comes so soon after a big update? When I first experienced the problem, I contacted Dell but it was a waste of time because all of the things they wanted to do was what I had already checked. I guess they thought I was a newbie who knew nothing about computers. (I suspect most of the "support" people at Dell just have a book with various symptoms and they just follow what it says and aren't really that knowledgeable.)

Anyway, I've come to the point that when there's a "cumulative" update for Win10 and it screws up my hibernation, then I'll just wait until the next update which usually fixes the problem. Until then, I just put the computer to sleep (which isn't bad because the power supply fan doesn't run anyway unlike the older PCs that didn't have smart power supplies). Any comments on this issue is appreciated.

:)

GaryFuchikami, Jul 1, 2019

2. Hibernation and Sleep not working on my WIndows 10 PC after latest update

Hello,

There are many possible reasons for this hibernation and sleep not working issue. The most common causes are
    corrupted Power settings or outdated display drivers. In order for us to efficiently assist you with your concern regarding the issue of waking up from sleep/hibernation, we just have a few questions for you:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?
    • Did you get any error messages upon waking up your computer from hibernation/sleep?
    • Have you also tried performing the power troubleshooter?
    If you still haven't, we suggest trying the steps below:

• Press Windows key + W and type Troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting and click on System and Security.
    • Click on Power and follow the onscreen steps.

Delete the current power plan and create it again.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Michelle Vil, Jul 1, 2019
  3. Jr James Win User
    Freezing in hibernation after Windows 10 update

I've done the power troubleshooting you've suggested, and it found nothing. My computer is an HP Pavilion dv7-1245dx running the current bios of f49. The problem with the hibernate is not going into, but coming out of. When you try to restart the system
    goes into the loading windows screen with the "flag" icon, and starts the spinning dots (hour glass) and then freezes, as if it's possibly having trouble finding and/or retrieving the information stored when it hibernated. I am then forced to reboot, which
    then allows the system to start fine, with out recovering from hibernation. Oddly enough, I have checked the power options and none of the three power management options have hibernate turned on under any option (plugged in/battery). Since Hibernate is in
    the off mode, I'm not sure why it hibernates on it's own. None of these problems exist when the system just goes into sleep mode. I have also tried to duplicate the issue by putting the system into hibernation manually, and the issue still exists. Again,
    the issue seems to be with potentially the system not being able to retrieve the stored information when it tries to come out of hibernation.

My upgrade to windows was first done via Microsoft's automatic update, the first day the updates where available. I since have added a new hybrid hard drive and did a clean instal with an iso created from the media creation tool. I would like for the hibernate
    option to work. Please let me know if you need any further details. I do have an associates in computer networking, so feel free to get as technical as you'd like, if you decide to contact me.

Jr

Jr James, Jul 1, 2019
  4. Hibernation not working after Windows updates

Windows 10 Hibernate problems

I suggest you to follow the methods provided below and check if it helps.

I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter by following the steps below and check if for any power components change status.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type troubleshooting and select the top most search result.
    • Click on View All from the left side panel of the window.
    • Select Power from the options, click on Advanced option and check Apply repairs automatically option.
    • Follow the on screen instructions and wait for the troubleshooting to complete.
    • Check for the missing/corrupted power component status of the troubleshooter, close the window and check if the issue is resolved.
    You can follow the step by step guide to
    enable hibernate option in windows 10

Swapnil Kharche, Jul 1, 2019
Thema:

Hibernation not working after Windows updates

1. Hibernation not working after Windows updates - Similar Threads - Hibernation working updates

2. after updating to windows 11, hibernate stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    after updating to windows 11, hibernate stopped working: HI, on win10 ive had zero issues, during beta win11 tests i had no such issues either was with ryzen first gen, ive replaced cpu to 3800x to have PC compatible and updated to win 11 not right away..was witing for L3 cache patch, but anwayso im on in 11 build 22000.282 now and...
  3. after updating to windows 11, hibernate stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    after updating to windows 11, hibernate stopped working: HI, on win10 ive had zero issues, during beta win11 tests i had no such issues either was with ryzen first gen, ive replaced cpu to 3800x to have PC compatible and updated to win 11 not right away..was witing for L3 cache patch, but anwayso im on in 11 build 22000.282 now and...
  4. Hibernate not working on after SSD installed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hibernate not working on after SSD installed: Hi, I am having this issue after installing the Windows in SSD. Currently my SSD is installed with SATA caddy in place of DVD ROM SATA port. Issue is when my computer hibernates, it doesn't preserve the files/data when I resume the Windows. Moreover, When I tried to...
  5. After 2004 update, bluetooth doesnt work after sleeping/hibernate

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After 2004 update, bluetooth doesnt work after sleeping/hibernate: Hi! The title says it all. After the june 2004 update, everytime my notebook goes to sleep or hibernate when I turn it on again I can't connect any bluetooth devices. I ask to "connect" and stays for a while in "connecting" and then it shows "this didn't work. check if the...
  6. Hibernate fails after windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hibernate fails after windows update: I am running windows 10 on a dell xps laptop. Hibernate stopped working after I installed the following updates KB 2565063, KB 4556799, KB 4560959, KB 4561600, KB 4560960, Intel SCSI Adapter I tried winding back the system using system restore but hthat didnt work and I...
  7. Hibernation & fast startup not working since 1903 update. System hang after hibernate or...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hibernation & fast startup not working since 1903 update. System hang after hibernate or...: After last update v1903, when I put my computer to hibernate or shutdown (with fast startup enabled) and try to power on , the system hang on Dell log and not started. I am forced to Shutdown it again (with power off button) and power on to start it. PS/ When i hibernate...
  8. hibernate not working the same after win 10 oct update

hibernate not working the same after win 10 oct update: win 10 desktop connect to an UPS running oct update have had pc 7 yrs running win 7 for 5 yrs and win 10 since jun 2016. since Oct update, pc wakes up from hibernation if the power goes out. previous 7 years, neither win 7 nor win 10 woke up from hibernation on power...
  9. Windows not hibernating after latest update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows not hibernating after latest update: Ever since the last update of windows 10, i have been noticing that at times when i put my laptop to hibernate, and try to open it after a while, i find that even though i had full battery, right now there is no battery left... So i tried it again and i found that the...
  10. Hibernate not working after memory upgrade

Hibernate not working after memory upgrade: After adding more memory/ram hibernating the pc results in a 'boot failure detected' and the memory speed being changed down to 1331Mhz from 1866Mhz. I had run memtest86+ after fitting another 2x4Gb memory chips. These being identical to the existing two chips. I have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 hibernation not work

2. windows 10 hibernate option missing