Windows 10: Hibernation problem after SSD upgrade

Discus and support Hibernation problem after SSD upgrade in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Hi, I got a new NVME-SSD for Christmas. I inserted it into the second M2-slot of my mainboard. In the first slot is my "old" SATA-SSD. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/fatzgenfatz, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Hibernation problem after SSD upgrade

Hibernation problem after SSD upgrade Ga_do8XjACjLmB2I5rtW7qKtla1euo2Rin_H6FVer8U.jpg

Hi, I got a new NVME-SSD for Christmas. I inserted it into the second M2-slot of my mainboard. In the first slot is my "old" SATA-SSD. I would have had to dissasemble the whole computer to get access to the first slot.

Next I cloned my partitions from the old to the new SSD so the OS would run on the much faster NVME. Then I changed the boot order in UEFI to the new SSD.

After testing if Windows works with this settings I deleted the partitions of the old SSD and created one big partition for data.

Now everything works as expected, except for hibernation mode. I think that either Windows or UEFI don't know where to find the hiberfil.sys. When I send my computer to hibernation and turn it on again it boots just normal like I had it shutdown.

There is no hiberfil.sys on c: or d:

I have tried "powercfg /hibernate off" and "powercfg /hibernate on" but this also didn't help.

Here is a picture of my disks and partitions.

Sorry for german

Perhaps someone can help me to enable hibernation again.

Thank you,
    f.

submitted by /u/fatzgenfatz
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/fatzgenfatz, Dec 30, 2020

2. Windows 10 Hibernate problems

I suggest you to follow the methods provided below and check if it helps.

I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter by following the steps below and check if for any power components change status.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type troubleshooting and select the top most search result.
    • Click on View All from the left side panel of the window.
    • Select Power from the options, click on Advanced option and check Apply repairs automatically option.
    • Follow the on screen instructions and wait for the troubleshooting to complete.
    • Check for the missing/corrupted power component status of the troubleshooter, close the window and check if the issue is resolved.
    You can follow the step by step guide to
    enable hibernate option in windows 10

Swapnil Kharche, Dec 30, 2020
  3. Power Hibernate Option Stops Working Correctly after Win10 1809 Upgrade

Hi Nikhar Khare,

Many thanks for taking the time to look into the problem.

To answer your questions:

• Is this happening all the time or is it intermittent? A: It has been happening all time ever the first boot-up since the Ver 1809 upgrade whenever the PC was turned hibernate either by Home key > power logo> Hibernate or by pressing
      the power button (which was set as hibernate. The hibernate function worked well up until last boot-up before the upgrade.
    • What is the make and model of your computer? A:
      The PC is a Dell Inspiron laptop. OS is Win 10 Home V1809 64-bit Build 17763.1
    Execution of your suggested solution protocol did not solve the problem.

Hopefully you can suggest other solutions for trying.

Regards!

JamesYoung888, Dec 30, 2020
  4. Hibernation problem after SSD upgrade

Missing hibernate button

Hi Yusak,

We would like to isolate this issue that you're having right now. Will you be able to provide the exact error message that you recieved?

We suggest that you try to enable hibernation on your device using the Command Prompt.

To make hibernation available, follow these steps:

• Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
    • In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
    • When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate on, and then press Enter.
    • Type exit, and then press Enter to close the Command Prompt window.

We will wait for your response.

Regards.

Leviozar Gam, Dec 30, 2020
Thema:

Hibernation problem after SSD upgrade

1. Hibernation problem after SSD upgrade - Similar Threads - Hibernation problem SSD

2. Hibernation on SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernation on SSD: Is hibernation bad for ssd? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hibernation-on-ssd/dc9830c5-9f92-4359-9a7f-19e43623a236
  3. Hibernation on SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hibernation on SSD: Is hibernation bad for ssd? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hibernation-on-ssd/dc9830c5-9f92-4359-9a7f-19e43623a236
  4. Hibernation on SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Hibernate not working on after SSD installed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hibernate not working on after SSD installed: Hi, I am having this issue after installing the Windows in SSD. Currently my SSD is installed with SATA caddy in place of DVD ROM SATA port. Issue is when my computer hibernates, it doesn't preserve the files/data when I resume the Windows. Moreover, When I tried to...
  6. After Upgrading SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After Upgrading SSD: So i wanted to update to a bigger SSD from 500gigs to 1TB, i saved all my stuff with the windows manager, changed the SSD and made a windows boot USB, installed it, everything seemed to work, but then i couldn't transfer all files from the old ssd, the most important parts...
  7. After upgrade an issue with hibernation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After upgrade an issue with hibernation: I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and whenI recover my PC from the hibernation, it has an issue. Then it fixes it and performs a boot from scratch.It is a kernel data inpage error and I received an error code 0xc000001...
  8. Problems Upgrading to an SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems Upgrading to an SSD: Windows 10 Home Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.657) I recently purchased a Crucial MX500 1 TB SSD to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 15 3576. I have a 1 TB Seagate HDD. It is in good condition, I just wanted the upgrade in speed. I followed the instructions from Crucial by using...
  9. Upgrade to larger ssd problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrade to larger ssd problem: I used Macrium Reflect to close my ssd boot drive. To test it I changed BIOS to look at usb drive first in boot order. But when it boots it fails. This is a new HP laptop. Is there something I need to do other than clone before it would boot? 100888
  10. Hibernate not working after memory upgrade

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hibernate not working after memory upgrade: After adding more memory/ram hibernating the pc results in a 'boot failure detected' and the memory speed being changed down to 1331Mhz from 1866Mhz. I had run memtest86+ after fitting another 2x4Gb memory chips. These being identical to the existing two chips. I have...