Windows 10: HidD_SetOutputReport API failing due to timeout after some restarts

Discus and support HidD_SetOutputReport API failing due to timeout after some restarts in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I am currently working on migrating a application with Win 7 embedded OS to Win 10. In our system, there is a customized keyboard and we are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SandeepNayathil, Sep 18, 2018.

1. HidD_SetOutputReport API failing due to timeout after some restarts

Hi,

I am currently working on migrating a application with Win 7 embedded OS to Win 10. In our system, there is a customized keyboard and we are writing/updating it using Windows API "HidD_SetOutputReport", many times during operations in our system. After migration to Win 10, sometimes when I restarted the system(OS restart) this API got failed due to timeout which causing a 5 second delay.

The error code i am getting is 121. It says ERROR_SEM_TIMEOUT(The semaphore timeout period has expired.)

Details about our OS: Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB - OS Build: 14393.2189, Version 1607

Please share any inputs?

I have shared the same query below also but yet to find the root cause of this issue.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f508609a-8dfd-4711-9d2f-a637cd48cab2/hiddsetoutputreport-api-failing-with-some-delay?forum=windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues

Thanks & Regards

Sandeep N

:)

SandeepNayathil, Sep 18, 2018
  2. rain8540 Win User

playback failed due to timeout?

I watch series on Showtime anytime, HBO, etc. While watching an episode of Borgias with IE browser video keeps stopping, buffering then going, and in firefox I got the server failed message saying "playback failed due to timeout"? The pc just updated
    me to new windows 10 and it's been doing it ever since. What is wrong?

rain8540, Sep 18, 2018
  3. How to extend or eliminate the timeout at sign in on an Acer Windows

Hi Lori,

To address your concern, we suggest that you adjust your screen timeout setting. It helps you set the time on how long before the screen will be locked due to inactivity.

You can follow the steps below on how to set your screen timeout:

1. Right-click on the Desktop, then choose Personalize.

2. Click Lock screen found on the left pane.

3. Click Screen timeout settings at the bottom part of the page.

4. Choose your preferred screen timeout on the drop down list under Screen.

Let us know the result.

Regards.

Michelle Her, Sep 18, 2018
  4. Arul_D Win User

HidD_SetOutputReport API failing due to timeout after some restarts

How to change the Screen Timeout settings

Hello,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Right click on the desktop and click on Personalization.

• Click on Lock screen

• On the bottom of the screen click on Screen Timeout.

• Under screen select the Time period accordingly.
    Reply us back with the status of this issue. We will be glad to assist you.

Arul_D, Sep 18, 2018
Thema:

HidD_SetOutputReport API failing due to timeout after some restarts

1. HidD_SetOutputReport API failing due to timeout after some restarts - Similar Threads - HidD_SetOutputReport API failing

2. When I restart laptop due to wifi was not working,after that blue screen with some...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I restart laptop due to wifi was not working,after that blue screen with some...: If you call a support person,give them this info:Stop code:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUALWhat failed:Netwtw10.sysI mentioned here info as it is.pls help as soon as possible...
  3. When I restart laptop due to wifi was not working,after that blue screen with some...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I restart laptop due to wifi was not working,after that blue screen with some...: If you call a support person,give them this info:Stop code:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUALWhat failed:Netwtw10.sysI mentioned here info as it is.pls help as soon as possible...
  4. Some applications are getting corrupted after restart

Some applications are getting corrupted after restart: Hi, I've encountered an issue but not sure if it's software or hardware based.I'm running Windows 10 Version 21H2 OS Build 19044.1682 and basically every restart programs/applications are getting corrupted i.e. : XSplit Broadcaster, GeForce Experience, Battle.net, maybe...
  5. The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout

in Windows 10 News
    The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout: [ATTACH]For some users, VSS aka Volume Shadow Copy Service is not running on their Windows 11/10 computers. And when they tried probing the issue in Event Viewer, they find out that the error message was The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout. In this article,...
  6. HidD_SetOutputReport failing with error code 31 and 121

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HidD_SetOutputReport failing with error code 31 and 121: Hello Everyone,I was developing a custom HID application for sending and receiving reports from an HID device. I was able to successfully develop the project and could communicate with the HID device correctly on a Windows 10 PC. But recently, I found that on a PC with...
  7. Restarting after some idle minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restarting after some idle minutes: Computer restarts after some minutes. Sometimes it will only go back on after holding the power button for a while. PC model: Surface Laptop 2. Windows 10. I ran WinDbg and this is my log: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 9fA driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a...
  8. Restarting after a some idle minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restarting after a some idle minutes: Computer restarts after some minutes. Sometimes it will only go back on after holding the power button for a while. PC model: Surface Laptop 2. Windows 10. I ran WinDbg and this is my log: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 9fA driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a...
  9. Windows app Operation returned due to timeout period.

Windows app Operation returned due to timeout period.: Little background. I have my hardrive split in two. C drive and E drive. C is for the basic pc stuff so there's only like 100gb of space in it and the rest is in E:\ So i've installed PSO2 and Minecraft Dungeons into E:\ because of the space. However when i try to launch...
  10. After each restart, Screen timeout is reset to "Never"

in Windows 10 Support
    After each restart, Screen timeout is reset to "Never": Every time I restart my computer (Windows 10 Home 64 bit), the setting under Power & Sleep -> Screen which controls the length of time before the screen blacks out is reset to "Never" *Mad. I don't want Windows to do this. I want this setting to stay at 10 minutes. How can I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. HidD_SetOutputReport failed

2. HidD_SetOutputReport API