Windows 10: Hidden file

Discus and support Hidden file in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Some time ago i had made an antivirus scam but my antivirus could not open and scan a file that was strange to me. The path to the file is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by M4tthewBW, Dec 14, 2020.

1. M4tthewBW Win User

Hidden file

Some time ago i had made an antivirus scam but my antivirus could not open and scan a file that was strange to me. The path to the file is

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender"

The file's weight is 0KB, the file is also hidden. My amtivirus's publisher wrote that if it is 0KB weight that can not be a malicious and I need to ask Microsoft what is this file used for.

The file's name:

"IMpService77BDAF73-B396-481F-9042-AD358843EC24.lock"

I found a similar topic on Microsoft but the person posted it, wrote that he can't use Windows Defender to scan when I can scan my pc using Windows Defender without any errors. I'm interested what is this file used for. Thanks for help and appreciate every answer.

Edit: Now I found that this file is only on my computer when I turn on periodic scanning by Windows Defender. When I switch it on, I can see an "Antimalware Service Executable" process and the file is in the folder. When I switch periodic scan off, the process and a file disappear.

:)

M4tthewBW, Dec 14, 2020

2. All hidden files turned Un-hidden

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I suggest you to re-add them to the hidden items list and check.

Steps:

• Right click on the folders to hide, select Properties.
    • Go to General tab, under Attributes check mark the option
      Hidden.
    • Click on Apply and on Ok.

I suggest you not to use any third party anti-virus software. Try to use Windows Defender.

Refer: Using Windows Defender

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 14, 2020
  3. Recovering Hidden Files

Well, you have already said that you had tried the cmd option but you unable to unhide hidden files in USB.
    So, I recommend you to recover hidden files from USB drive with Windows File Option. For this, you
    have follow these steps:

• First of all, you have to press Windows + E to bring up the Windows Explorer.
    • Next, in Folder Options or File Explorer Options click the
      View tab
    • After this, in Hidden files & folders, you need to click the Show hidden files/folders & drives
      option.
    • Lastly, click the Apply, then hit OK
      button.
    After finishing all these steps, you can see the hidden files of the USB drive.

lopezmariaa, Dec 14, 2020
  4. RhinoCan Win User

Hidden file

Hidden files not behaving properly

Sorry for the delay in responding; I had to deal with some other things along the way!

I ran Step 5 and got this:

Hidden file [​IMG]

Then I restarted Windows. When I got back into my folder, it looked the same as before and the hidden file was still invisible but this time, when I went into Folder Options, the "don't show hidden files, folders and drives" radio button was selected. I simply clicked the "show hidden files, folders and drives" radio button, clicked on Apply and my hidden file finally reappeared!

Thanks for your help with this!!

I'm still curious about why this functionality broke suddenly but I've got lots of other things on my plate so I think I'll get back to them.

Thanks again!

RhinoCan, Dec 14, 2020
Thema:

Hidden file

1. Hidden file - Similar Threads - Hidden file

2. Is There a 3rd Party Backup App That Also Saves the Hidden Files But Uses File History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is There a 3rd Party Backup App That Also Saves the Hidden Files But Uses File History: Hi Windows Backup friends. File History sadly the hidden files which sometimes have the save files for games won't be included, does anyone know a 3rd-party app or a Command Prompt or Powershell command that will include the hidden files and folders when your use File History...
  3. Is There a 3rd Party Backup App That Also Saves the Hidden Files But Uses File History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is There a 3rd Party Backup App That Also Saves the Hidden Files But Uses File History: Hi Windows Backup friends. File History sadly the hidden files which sometimes have the save files for games won't be included, does anyone know a 3rd-party app or a Command Prompt or Powershell command that will include the hidden files and folders when your use File History...
  4. Problems after Windows update, restored system, now files are hidden and some apps don't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems after Windows update, restored system, now files are hidden and some apps don't open: Dear Microsoft team,I have several problems that seem to be related to having restored my system to a time before the last Windows 11 update. Actually, it began with my new bluetooth earbuds not working properly with my Lenovo laptop while they work perfectly with my phone. I...
  5. Problems after Windows update, restored system, now files are hidden and some apps don't open

Problems after Windows update, restored system, now files are hidden and some apps don't open: Dear Microsoft team,I have several problems that seem to be related to having restored my system to a time before the last Windows 11 update. Actually, it began with my new bluetooth earbuds not working properly with my Lenovo laptop while they work perfectly with my phone. I...
  6. Does File History Also Backup the Hidden Files and Hidden Folders Like AppData?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does File History Also Backup the Hidden Files and Hidden Folders Like AppData?: Hi Microsoft friends, does File History I think that's the weakest way to repair and recover compared to the many Windows tools to repair and recover- too many though it's confusing but File History is the to easiest use backup the hidden files and hidden folders in say the...
  7. Does File History Also Backup the Hidden Files and Hidden Folders Like AppData?

Does File History Also Backup the Hidden Files and Hidden Folders Like AppData?: Hi Microsoft friends, does File History I think that's the weakest way to repair and recover compared to the many Windows tools to repair and recover- too many though it's confusing but File History is the to easiest use backup the hidden files and hidden folders in say the...
  8. Why cants see hidden files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why cants see hidden files?: In Explorer, I went under the view and set it to see hidden files. However, immediately after that, the Explorer reloaded and the setting did not change. What's happening?...
  9. Why cants see hidden files?

Why cants see hidden files?: In Explorer, I went under the view and set it to see hidden files. However, immediately after that, the Explorer reloaded and the setting did not change. What's happening?...
  10. Only search for hidden files in Windows 11 File Explorer search bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Only search for hidden files in Windows 11 File Explorer search bar: Hello,I want to search my entire PC for any hidden files that I may need to transfer from my old computer mainly due to how Minecraft Java Edition saves in AppData; which is hidden. Is it possible to only search for hidden files in the search bar? I have tried...