Windows 10: Hidden Partition(s) on C: - Help

Discus and support Hidden Partition(s) on C: - Help in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've installed Win 10 twice on my system, the first time I did an upgrade when it came out, and then last weekend I did a clean install. I never use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HC1Gunner, Sep 12, 2015.

1. HC1Gunner Win User

Hidden Partition(s) on C: - Help

I've installed Win 10 twice on my system, the first time I did an upgrade when it came out, and then last weekend I did a clean install. I never use system restore, so its turned off, but it would appear each time I installed 10 it created a 450 MB hidden partition on my C: drive its calling "recovery". I'd really like to get this gig of space back, windows disk management won't let me touch it. Is there any 3rd party program that will allow me to delete or allocate the space?

:)

HC1Gunner, Sep 12, 2015

2. Windows 10 and deleting the hidden partitions

I talked to the defrag show guys and they said the old windows 7 - 8.1 system restore partitions are no longer used.

and I can remove them. other hidden partition I show contact the manufacture of the pc.

they also said to backup first and be careful when removing the hidden partitions.

Channel 9's defrag show and defrag tool the best Microsoft tech help out there.

rob

Robfly80-2, Sep 12, 2015
  3. mlg63 Win User
    disk partition

Ignore that partition. 750MB is irrelevant since it is tiny and it might be a hidden partition that is needed but not recognized by disk management. You could not add it to c anyway since it is before C. The only partition that could be added must be after
    c on the right side

mlg63, Sep 12, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

from cmd prompt (admin) type

reagentc /info

post pic

5. topgundcp Win User
    First of all, it not GB, it's MB. From reagentc /info. It shows that your recovery Winre.wim is in partition 5 counting from left to right, there's a 16MB hidden partition that disk management does not show.
    If you delete the 2 partitions above, you won't be able to create a recovery disk. Leave them alone, they are only several hundred MB's.

NOTE: a normal fresh install will create 4 partitions: 450MB recovery, 100MB EFI system, 16MB MSR and your C drive. Since you did install twice without clean up the first one, Windows create a second 450MB reserved partition next to C: .

Here's what mine as shown below:

Hidden Partition(s) on C: - Help [​IMG]

topgundcp, Sep 12, 2015
  6. HC1Gunner Win User
    Its two hidden partitions at 450 MB = 900 MB, just 100 MB short of 1 GB, so excuse me it its 100 MB short of 1 GB (gig).
    In all of my Win 7 and 8.1 installs, these two partitions never existed. I don't need a recover disk, I use Acronis to create and image. They are NOT just 16 MB, and before the install of Win 10, they never existed.

HC1Gunner, Sep 12, 2015
  7. Word Man Win User
    The 16 MB partition is one not showing as topgun pointed out. I think that was just to clarify why the partition with your current recovery agent is numbered as partition 5. Ultimately it's your choice but you're only using about 40 GB or so of your C: drive (84% free) as it is and I'm surprised you would be concerned at this point about recovering less than 0.5% (the 1 GB) of disk space for use.

Word Man, Sep 12, 2015
  8. topgundcp Win User

In Windows 7/8 You installed Windows with MBR style partition. With MBR, you can install W7/8 without the recovery partition by first formatting the drive. If you leave the drive unallocated then Windows will create the recovery partitions.
    MBR-> 7: 100MB and C Drive
    MBR-> 8: 350 MB and C drive.
    MBR-> Windows 10: 500MB and C drive.

UEFI->10: 450MB, 100MB EFI System, 16MB MSR (hidden from disk management) and C: drive.

topgundcp, Sep 12, 2015
  9. HC1Gunner Win User
    That's because you're looking at clean install (fresh) install of 10, I have a lot of software / games yet to install, but I like to create an image before installing anything else. Hence the reason to get rid of the two extra partitions. Right now C: is showing (4) partitions. Normally I have only two, C:\ and the small partition that windows install creates.

HC1Gunner, Sep 13, 2015
  10. Word Man Win User
    In that case, you redo the clean install and make sure you delete all partitions during the early stages of the clean install when offered the opportunity. This way, you'll only get the partitions that Windows thinks it needs for a clean install, i.e., you'll have only one recovery partition, a small reserved partition, your OS partition, and a 100 MB reserved partition (if you set the disk as GPT - with disk set to MBR, you'll have less). In any event, your drive with all data and programs must be pretty full if you're worried about 1 GB. Maybe you should consider getting a larger OS disk. I see you have quite a few other disks - external ?

Have a look at Steps 12 or 13 in this Tutorial: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

Word Man, Sep 13, 2015
  11. jpolacko Win User

Mine show's the same thing only mine is 858 mb I'm not to worried about it but I can's seem to do anything with that 8mb unallocated space since my clean install.

jpolacko, Sep 13, 2015
  12. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Mine is even more spartan. I use Macrium Reflect to make backup copies of the system partition...

If you are using MBR and partition disk first by creating a Primary partition (and marking it as ACTIVE) you avoid Windows creating the 100MB "reserved" partition. I have all my data on the Extended partition (dektop, documents, downloads, etc).

eLPuSHeR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Hidden Partition(s) on C: - Help - Similar Threads - Hidden Partition Help

2. C Drive, lost Space, partitions, please help.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C Drive, lost Space, partitions, please help.: I seem to have messed up my CDrive somehow, I seem to have partitions that have divided up my cdrive space and now has left me very short of download space. is there anyway to get my space back to normal possibly all my space in one place as shown in the photos below, there...
  3. C Drive, lost Space, partitions, please help.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C Drive, lost Space, partitions, please help.: I seem to have messed up my CDrive somehow, I seem to have partitions that have divided up my cdrive space and now has left me very short of download space. is there anyway to get my space back to normal possibly all my space in one place as shown in the photos below, there...
  4. CAN´T EXTEND PARTITION C WITH OTHER PARTITIONS - PLEASE HELP URGENT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CAN´T EXTEND PARTITION C WITH OTHER PARTITIONS - PLEASE HELP URGENT: Hello, I installed UBUNTU before installing WINDOWS on my disk, now I decided to delete ubuntu and install Windows. The only problem is that I can´t extend my C Partition with the other that was deleted containing UBUNTU EXT4. Maybe is because C partition is in the last...
  5. hidden partition showing in my computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hidden partition showing in my computer: the /boot/efi partition is showing up in my computer this partition is hidden. unable to do anything with it in Disk Management. Does not show a drive letter in disk management but does show a drive letter in my computer. How do I remove the drive in my computer....
  6. Help extending a C: partition past 2tb

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help extending a C: partition past 2tb: Hello, I have a 4tb drive. I want to make my C: partition as big as it can be, but it won't let me extend it more. The option in Disk Management is grayed out. I have already make sure to convert it to GPT and restart my PC. What is going on?...
  7. Hidden Partitions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hidden Partitions: I realize that certain partitions are hidden for good reason. But the problem I have is that when I do a full system backup twice a month, I open Macrium Reflect and it shows drive letters assigned to four different partitions. As you can see from the image below, the UEFI...
  8. I need help with GPO (Custom Libraries + hidden C:)

in Windows 10 Support
    I need help with GPO (Custom Libraries + hidden C:): Hi, I am having an issue that I need assistance with. I have a group policy which updates the Windows Registry in order to "Hide" the C:-drive. No permissions are changed, it is only the visibility that is changed ("NoDrives" @...
  9. Partitioned disk hidden in each user

in Windows 10 Support
    Partitioned disk hidden in each user: Hi there, I have a laptop with 2 users. It came with an SSD and an HDD. I have partitioned the HDD and now it's like there are 2 different drives. One for one user, and one for the other user. Is there a way to hide the one that is not for the user? Let me explain. We...
  10. Hidden partitions after cloning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hidden partitions after cloning: This is a computer I built several years ago (E6300). I have upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro. I have cloned the HDD to an SSD. (I eventually figured out how using Macrium Reflect. There was another D: partition for which I used Aomei Partition Assistant to...