Windows 10: Hidden Partitions

Discus and support Hidden Partitions in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I realize that certain partitions are hidden for good reason. But the problem I have is that when I do a full system backup twice a month, I open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by NovaGold, Feb 2, 2020.

1. NovaGold Win User

Hidden Partitions

I realize that certain partitions are hidden for good reason. But the problem I have is that when I do a full system backup twice a month, I open Macrium Reflect and it shows drive letters assigned to four different partitions. As you can see from the image below, the UEFI partition labeled ESP is given the letter E. The Winretool partition is given the letter X. The OS partition is given the letter C. And the Dell PBR partition is given the letter Y. I'm being told that the hidden partitions should not have an assigned letter in Macrium Reflect. This just started happening recently. After I do the backup, the hidden partitions are no longer hidden. They show up in File Explorer, next to the C drive. I have to use a third party partition wizard to remove the assigned letters. Then they no longer show up in File Explorer. Does anybody have a clue to why this started happening and is there something I can do to prevent it from occurring?

Hidden Partitions 1213156b-89e1-4cb4-a17f-ebb758cce05a?upload=true.png

:)

NovaGold, Feb 2, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Feb 2, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Uninstall problem

Open the Admin Command Prompt:
    1. diskpart
    2. List disk
    3. select disk # where # is the disk that contains hidden partitions
    4. list par
    5. select partition #
    6. delete partition OVERRIDE
    7. repeat steps 5 & 6 for the additional hidden partitions.
    8. exit
    OR:
    if you want to clean the whole disk, after step 3 above
    Type: clean
    Type: exit

topgundcp, Feb 2, 2020
  4. Hidden Partitions

Getting a new PC tommorow...

• Set up your hardware
    • Insert CD/DVD install
    • Format a partition of 30GB as a quick format
    • Install the OS
    • Create a new partition D: for data, and S: for setupfiles
    • Put all your install files into S
    • Before installing, run windows update
    • Once up to date, reboot
    • Install AV
    • Update AV
    • NOW install any drivers
    • And then any software
    • Top Utils: ccleaner, defraggler, tclock, utramon, winrar, irfanview, wordweb, malwarebytes, speedfan,
    • Now create a partition copy of your C: into a hidden partition. If you evey need to reformat, you just copy the setup from the hidden partition
    • You might want Acronis Disk Director to do the previous step. Easy

lemonadesoda, Feb 2, 2020
Thema:

Hidden Partitions

1. Hidden Partitions - Similar Threads - Hidden Partitions

2. mountvol does not show all hidden partitions in windows repair and safe mode for chkdsk...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mountvol does not show all hidden partitions in windows repair and safe mode for chkdsk...: I have an ssd win10+recovery+efi+2partitions and a hdd25g factory recovery+win7+4partitions, 8 visible partitions and 3 hidden, so 11 that can be seen in computer management. I ran "mountvol" in CMD as administration but received 3 different responses in 3 modes. In windows,...
  3. mountvol does not show all hidden partitions in windows repair and safe mode for chkdsk...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    mountvol does not show all hidden partitions in windows repair and safe mode for chkdsk...: I have an ssd win10+recovery+efi+2partitions and a hdd25g factory recovery+win7+4partitions, 8 visible partitions and 3 hidden, so 11 that can be seen in computer management. I ran "mountvol" in CMD as administration but received 3 different responses in 3 modes. In windows,...
  4. Need help with finding out what files are on each visible or hidden partition.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need help with finding out what files are on each visible or hidden partition.: HiI'm on Win10 Home. My desktop has a 1TB single hard drive of which 909 GB is dedicated as the Primary partition as follows:I would like to see the files and folder structure on each partition but not sure how and what tool to use. I would like to delete some of the files in...
  5. Need help with finding out what files are on each visible or hidden partition.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with finding out what files are on each visible or hidden partition.: HiI'm on Win10 Home. My desktop has a 1TB single hard drive of which 909 GB is dedicated as the Primary partition as follows:I would like to see the files and folder structure on each partition but not sure how and what tool to use. I would like to delete some of the files in...
  6. Need help with finding out what files are on each visible or hidden partition.

7. Computer is hacked. Clean install will not work. Malware on hidden partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer is hacked. Clean install will not work. Malware on hidden partition: I have malware on my computer that has taken over my registry. Full install does not work. It is hidden. On a partition that doesn't show up in chkdsk. Infected my other devices and cellphone. No malware scan detects it. Bit defender did tell me I was missing a couple of efi...
  8. Computer is hacked. Clean install will not work. Malware on hidden partition

Computer is hacked. Clean install will not work. Malware on hidden partition: I have malware on my computer that has taken over my registry. Full install does not work. It is hidden. On a partition that doesn't show up in chkdsk. Infected my other devices and cellphone. No malware scan detects it. Bit defender did tell me I was missing a couple of efi...
  9. Computer is hacked. Clean install will not work. Malware on hidden partition

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. Hidden partition approximately 25 GB after window 11 insider preview partition inserted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hidden partition approximately 25 GB after window 11 insider preview partition inserted: Hidden partition approximately 25 GB automatically after window 11 insider preview partition inserted.Please, does anyone know by which software and why this partition was created?Thank you very much....