Windows 10: hide partiton in explorer without removing the drive letter

Discus and support hide partiton in explorer without removing the drive letter in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; is it possible to hide a partiton in explorer without removing the drive letter ? thanks 149180 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by reddwarf4ever, Jan 24, 2020.

1. hide partiton in explorer without removing the drive letter

is it possible to hide a partiton in explorer without removing the drive letter ?

thanks

:)

reddwarf4ever, Jan 24, 2020
  2. ENRKyle20 Win User

Keep File History Working But Remove Drive Letter (Hide in Explorer)

Win10 V1909. Title says it all.
    I plug hot swap and image many drives in a day and I am stick of looking at my file history drive in Windows Explorer. Is it possible to remove the drive letter and still keep file history working?
    OR
    Can I hide it from explorer without removing the drive letter? (And still allow File History to work)

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Bump *Smile TY

ENRKyle20, Jan 24, 2020
  3. Keep File History Working But Remove Drive Letter (Hide in Explorer)

File history won't recognize a drive without a drive letter. At first I thought that you might be able to mount the file history drive to a mount point, but that by itself doesn't work.

However, File History will work with a network share, so I have a kind of crazy idea for a workaround. I tested this and it seems to work.

1) Remove the drive letter from the File History drive and mount it to a mount point instead.

2) Share the drive by creating a network share to it.

3) Configure File History to backup to a network share. Point it to that network share that you just created.

At this point the drive will no longer show up in File Explorer since it does not have a drive letter but file history will still be able to access the drive.

If you need detailed steps for the above please let me know. I'll be happy to provide detailed steps.

If anyone else has other ideas, feel free to jump in.

hsehestedt, Jan 24, 2020
  4. fusk Win User

hide partiton in explorer without removing the drive letter

How to hide drive from explorer without removing drive letter.

Thanks, i'll give that a try.

That would not work, as mentioned in the post. Most programs where you can assign a temp drive would not be able to access a drive with no drive letter as you wouldn't be able to select the drive in that programs settings.

Thema:

hide partiton in explorer without removing the drive letter

1. hide partiton in explorer without removing the drive letter - Similar Threads - hide partiton explorer

2. A "RAW" Drive without a letter.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A "RAW" Drive without a letter.: I have a Toshiba 2TB external hard drive. It should be plug and play, but it is not. I have tried to get it going but now I have a "RAW" drive which will not stay still long enough for me to progress it further and no drive letter. In disk management it is displayed for a...
  3. A "RAW" Drive without a letter.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A "RAW" Drive without a letter.: I have a Toshiba 2TB external hard drive. It should be plug and play, but it is not. I have tried to get it going but now I have a "RAW" drive which will not stay still long enough for me to progress it further and no drive letter. In disk management it is displayed for a...
  4. A "RAW" Drive without a letter.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Drive letter not assigned to removable drive

Drive letter not assigned to removable drive: I admit it - I shot myself in the foot. At some time in the past I must have permanently assigned a drive letter to a USB flash memory drive (stick). Today I decided I should let Windows just assign the next available drive letter as it does for other removable devices (and...
  6. If I hide a drive/partiton, it is safe from viruses?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    If I hide a drive/partiton, it is safe from viruses?: I recently built a new computer with a new SSD that runs Windows 10 Pro. I kept the old internal HDD as a bootable Windows backup. Periodically I will recreate the HDD Windows partition to keep it current in case I need to boot from it. Since it is an internal HDD, there...
  7. Keep File History Working But Remove Drive Letter (Hide in Explorer)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Keep File History Working But Remove Drive Letter (Hide in Explorer): Win10 V1909. Title says it all. I plug hot swap and image many drives in a day and I am stick of looking at my file history drive in Windows Explorer. Is it possible to remove the drive letter and still keep file history working? OR Can I hide it from explorer without...
  8. HARD DRIVE PARTITONS

HARD DRIVE PARTITONS: Hi, I have window 10 and hard drive 1tb. it has two partition on the drive. 1 has 499mb and 2 has 931.02 gb. 1 question is how can I get red of 1 partition which is 499mb? 2 question if I can not remove partition on the drive how can I increase the capacity of 1tb?...
  9. How to hide drive from explorer without removing drive letter.

How to hide drive from explorer without removing drive letter.: Hi. I just installed a small ssd drive to be used by a program as a temp drive. Now that i've set the app to use G: as temp drive, i do not need to interact with the drive again. Set it and forget it. So how do i hide the drive from explorer without breaking everything ?...
  10. Hide or Show Drive Letters in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show Drive Letters in Windows 10: How to: Hide or Show Drive Letters in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show Drive Letters in Windows 10 [img] Information A drive letter is a single alphabetic character A through Z that has been assigned to a physical drive or drive partition in the computer. This...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to hide partition without removing drive letter