Windows 10: "Hide protected operating system files" stays checked/unchecked.

Discus and support "Hide protected operating system files" stays checked/unchecked. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey, everyone. So, I'm having a problem with Windows Explorer on Windows 10 20H2. Sometimes, when I check/uncheck "Hide protected operating system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Silexium, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Silexium Win User

"Hide protected operating system files" stays checked/unchecked.

Hey, everyone.

So, I'm having a problem with Windows Explorer on Windows 10 20H2. Sometimes, when I check/uncheck "Hide protected operating system files", it does the opposite action (e.g. I check it, it unchecks & vice versa). I've tried pretty much everything to fix it. Restarted Explorer & Windows multiple times, ran basically every variation of SFC & DISM, disabled startup programs through Task Manager, disabled background apps in Settings & I've even copied the "explorer.exe" file from a Windows 10 20H2 USB Drive (the same drive I used to reinstall Windows 10 on my PC a couple of days ago) & replaced the already present "explorer.exe" in C:\Windows with it to no avail. Using Process Monitor, I've determined that Windows Explorer sets the "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\ShowSuperHidden" value two times when it is functioning normally. However, when I'm having the aforementioned issue, it sets the value THREE times, thus not changing the view. Setting the aforementioned registry value manually through Registry Editor works with no issue. The issue does not happen when I'm booted into Safe Mode. I'm completely stumped. The OS was freshly reinstalled just days ago & I don't have that much software on my system (Windows Defender is the only AV on my system). This isn't a major issue, but it's annoying. Can anyone help me?

Edition: Windows 10 Pro
    Version: 20H2
    OS build: 19042.804 (all updates installed)
    Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

:)

Silexium, Feb 16, 2021
  2. AutoBotAM Win User

"Hide protected operating system files" keeps unchecking itself.

Hi,

Yesterday, for the first time, I noticed that the hidden files desktop.ini and Thumbs.db were being shown on my desktop. I later found out that "Hide protected operating system files" was unchecked for some reason, so I checked it, and that fixed the problem.
    However, I shut down my computer last night, and restarted it just now, and the hidden files are being shown again! Something unchecked the "Hide protected operating system files" without my permission. I did a full virus scan with McAfee yesterday (not in
    safe mode, though) and it only found one suspect problem and resolved it. Yet this issue remains.

Now, how should I go about solving this issue? Is there a way to see which process is unchecking the "Hide protected operating system files" option behind my back?

Thanks,

AutoBotAM, Feb 16, 2021
  3. Namslas90 Win User
    Can't See files, not hidden

Uncheck " Hide Protected Operating System files". I'm believe 'recovery' files are protected OS files.

*Toast :toast:

Namslas90, Feb 16, 2021
  4. "Hide protected operating system files" stays checked/unchecked.

Can't See files, not hidden

Ok, I unchecked the "Hide Protected Operating System files" and that did the trick. Thanks man.

@Dippy I'm actually using Server 2003, not vista. I've been using the "Vista Transformation Pack" on my XP and 2003 installs to make them look like that. Pretty sleek huh?

ChaoticBlankness, Feb 16, 2021
Thema:

"Hide protected operating system files" stays checked/unchecked.

1. "Hide protected operating system files" stays checked/unchecked. - Similar Threads - Hide protected operating

2. unchecking "Hide protected operating system files" freezes file explorer in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unchecking "Hide protected operating system files" freezes file explorer in Windows 11: unchecking "Hide protected operating system files" freezes file explorer in Windows 11.This happens the moment you answer "yes" to "are you sure" question.Actually, there is a millisecond lag before it freezes, so I was lucky to uncheck it once, when it got frozen with "OK"...
  3. unchecking "Hide protected operating system files" freezes file explorer in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unchecking "Hide protected operating system files" freezes file explorer in Windows 11: unchecking "Hide protected operating system files" freezes file explorer in Windows 11.This happens the moment you answer "yes" to "are you sure" question.Actually, there is a millisecond lag before it freezes, so I was lucky to uncheck it once, when it got frozen with "OK"...
  4. "the operating system drive is not protected by bitlocker drive encryption"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "the operating system drive is not protected by bitlocker drive encryption": Hi. My pc has 8 drives attached to it. A: sata ssd B: usb C: m2 nvme E: m2 nvme U: sata ssd W: usb X: sata hdd Y: sata hdd E, U X and Y are bitlocked. I wanted to turn on the auto-unlock feature, which worked fine except for drive E, which give the error,...
  5. Can I hide system files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I hide system files?: I want to hide all files that weren't created by me, this includes system files such as the Windows, Program files, etc. folders. Should/can I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-hide-system-files/956fdb69-5003-4091-b782-40460ee8e9c5
  6. System file check

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System file check: Ran system file check. Verification stopped at 21%. Message: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation. Help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-file-check/ed6b1fa7-6901-4c70-baf0-eee02176aa60
  7. System File Check

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System File Check: Did a system file check, on the advice of others, and this was the report Can anyone tell me what I ought to do now, because corrupt files were found? Or do I need to do anything?? All instructions sent to me need to be idiot proof. [ATTACH]...
  8. Windows 10 File Explorer Check Box Won't Stay Checked

Windows 10 File Explorer Check Box Won't Stay Checked: Why won't the check box stay checked? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-file-explorer-check-box-wont-stay/6ff7ee8d-40de-42be-a03d-0d220a518b66"
  9. The Connect Automatically Checkbox will not *stay unchecked*

The Connect Automatically Checkbox will not *stay unchecked*: The Connect Automatically Checkbox will not *stay unchecked* in the list of available networks. Please! note! Not talking about *Saved Networks* or "known networks"! Please, do not address either of these. Also, understand that (in theory) one shouldn't worry because it...
  10. Hide extensions for known file types unchecked

in Windows 10 Support
    Hide extensions for known file types unchecked: Hide extensions for known file types unchecked. I still can't see .exe extension all the others are ok. This just now happened; the .exe extensions where showing before... I must have changed something by mistake. Can anybody help me I get them back? Don Cole...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. CAN NOT DISPLAY HIDE PROTECTED OPERATING SYSTEM FILE