Windows 10: Hide system partition that shows in explorer but NOT disk management

Discus and support Hide system partition that shows in explorer but NOT disk management in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After installing Windows 10 (upgrade from 8.1) and after a second reboot, the 100MB "SYSTEM" partition shows up in Explorer as the f: drive. It cannot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Makewa, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Makewa Win User

Hide system partition that shows in explorer but NOT disk management

After installing Windows 10 (upgrade from 8.1) and after a second reboot, the 100MB "SYSTEM" partition shows up in Explorer as the f: drive. It cannot be hidden in Explorer - "Hide Selected Items" - prompts for administrator permission then Error 'the parameter is incorrect'.

In Disk Management the SYSTEM Partition does not have a drive letter assigned, and ALL options are greyed out.

Hide system partition that shows in explorer but NOT disk management [​IMG]

None of the solutions I have found work, seemingly because the partition does not appear as a drive letter to the OS, only to Explorer. How can I hide it?

:)

Makewa, Jul 25, 2016

2. Windows 10 Pro Update to Load 10586 Fail (System Partition Error)

Empty partitions?

You may need to show hidden files. Use the keyboard shortcut Win+X to access Control Panel, File Explorer Options and select View, Advanced Settings. Verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked and "Hide protected operating
    system files" is unchecked. You may need to scroll down to see the second item. You should also make certain that the box before "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked.

Gerry C J Cornell, Jul 25, 2016
  3. ROBERT530 Win User
    windows 10 file explorer duplicated my partitions i have 2 sets of every partition

i used computer management to re-assign drive letters to re-arrange all my partitions in file explorer

now under this pc i have all my drive letters correct the way i want them when i go into file explorer

it has duplicated all my partitions made 2 sets of all my partitions the correct set of partitions is under

this pc but file explorer still lists the old set of partitions

how do i get rid of the old set of partitions in file explorer

computer management shows the correct set of partitions that is under this pc

but in file explorer it shows 2 sets of partitions

how do i get rid of the old set of partitions

ROBERT530, Jul 25, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

Can you show a screenshot of File Explorer?
    it is usually impossible for a drive to have a letter in File Explorer but not in Disk Management.

spunk, Jul 25, 2016
  5. AndreyT Win User
    A drive letter being present in File Explorer but not in Disk Management is a known weird side-effect of installing Windows 10 upgrade over a Windows 8 installation that was created using some "disk cloning" software. In particular, this effect is known to take place if the Windows 8 installation was created with Paragon HDD-to-SSD migration software.

Paragon software works fine in general, but still they are doing something wrong, which reveals itself when trying to upgrade a "cloned" OS to Windows 10.

I had the same issue and I found no credible solution for it, aside from clean-installing Windows 8.1 directly to SSD from scratch and then upgrading it to Windows 10.

AndreyT, Jul 25, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    • Open Admin Command (Win+X->Command Prompt (Admin)) then type:
    • diskpart
      list volume ====> look for the Volume # that has the size of 100MB
      select volume # =====> # found from list above
      remove
      exit

This should remove the letter for the 100MB EFI System partition.

It's a glitch with upgrade.

topgundcp, Jul 25, 2016
  7. Makewa Win User
    This worked perfectly.

Many thanks Topgundcp.

For info: the NoDrives Registry entry did not work in this case.
    Also, this was an Asus factory install of OEM Windows 8.1 so there should not be any ghosting software involved outside the factory.

Makewa, Jul 26, 2016
  8. pcgeek11 Win User

That is correct, but the factory does clone these disk in bulk...

pcgeek11, Jul 26, 2016
  9. Makewa Win User
    Yes, of course .. I just made the comment for people like AndreyT who are interested in particular cloning software, to draw their own conclusions as to the source of problems on other machines. It was no accident that I used the words "outside the factory".

Makewa, Jul 26, 2016
  10. gordo Win User
    I used the diskpart solution only for the partition to be displayed in windows explorer a few days later again *sarc

gordo, Jan 21, 2017
  11. Hello,
    Or you could simply, from within disk mgmt., select the partition, right-click, change drive letter & hit the Remove tab.

PreyMantas, Jun 13, 2017
  12. Vesnog Win User
    This worked for me too, but upon reboot the system again lists the ESP partition together with the drive letter under my computer. Is there a way to make this adjustment permanent? Here is a screenshot from My Computer and diskmgmt.msc

Hide system partition that shows in explorer but NOT disk management [​IMG]

Vesnog, Jan 13, 2018
  13. Vesnog Win User

The real solution is deleting the corresponding key from the registry as below:
    • Open RegEdit

Start -> Type "regedit"

• Navigate to

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

• If the EFI partitions drive letter is still in registry, delete the value.

For example: \DosDevices\G:

Vesnog, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Hide system partition that shows in explorer but NOT disk management - Similar Threads - Hide system partition

2. Recovery Partition not showing as such in disk management

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery Partition not showing as such in disk management: In the screenshot below, you can see the highlighted partition on Disk 0 is not showing as a healthy recovery partition and is not shown listed above. This is a cloned Windows 10 installation taken from Disk 1 now labeled storage.However, in diskpart, disk 0, partition 4 of...
  3. Recovery Partition not showing as such in disk management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Partition not showing as such in disk management: In the screenshot below, you can see the highlighted partition on Disk 0 is not showing as a healthy recovery partition and is not shown listed above. This is a cloned Windows 10 installation taken from Disk 1 now labeled storage.However, in diskpart, disk 0, partition 4 of...
  4. Recovery Partition not showing as such in disk management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. SSD Partition not showing in Disk Management/File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD Partition not showing in Disk Management/File Explorer: So I was running Windows 11 for a long time, then suddenly I started getting a blue screen error. So I ran a clean installation of Windows 10. After this, the blue screen error stopped but I couldn't upgrade to Windows 11, it gives an error message but unfortunately I didn't...
  6. SSD Partition not showing in Disk Management/File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Partition not showing in Disk Management/File Explorer: So I was running Windows 11 for a long time, then suddenly I started getting a blue screen error. So I ran a clean installation of Windows 10. After this, the blue screen error stopped but I couldn't upgrade to Windows 11, it gives an error message but unfortunately I didn't...
  7. SSD Partition not showing in Disk Management/File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Partition appeared in File Explorer, does not show up in Disk Management

Partition appeared in File Explorer, does not show up in Disk Management: Hi, I just noticed that a new partition "Local Disk E:" appeared in File Explorer: [ATTACH] I did not create it, so I opened Disk Management, but it does not show up there: [ATTACH] According to the properties of the partition, it is formatted as FAT32. Does anyone...
  9. Disk partition not showing up in File Explorer, yet shows up in Disk Management.

Disk partition not showing up in File Explorer, yet shows up in Disk Management.: Hi there, Today I have created a new partition on my disk so that I could store specific files on it in order to keep things clean. Somehow after creating it, immediately after formatting the new partition to NTFS the newly created one showed up in file explorer as it should...
  10. Disk partition not showing up in disk management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk partition not showing up in disk management: I installed a windows 10 update yesterday and now I have lost my D and E drive and all of the data that was on there. When I go into disk management the only drive that shows up is the C drive and 3 others that are called disk 0 partition 1, 4 and 5. When I go into file...