Windows 10: Hiding a device on the network

Discus and support Hiding a device on the network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two uCam247 security cameras that store data to a UCam247 Micro NVR when triggered by motion. I'm using a Linx 8-inch Windows 10 tablet for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TheLyppardMan, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Hiding a device on the network

I have two uCam247 security cameras that store data to a UCam247 Micro NVR when triggered by motion. I'm using a Linx 8-inch Windows 10 tablet for the monitor, which I have affixed to a wall in a convenient location. My question is, how can I hide the NVR from appearing in Windows Explorer (there wouldn't be much point in having stored data if a burglar could just find and delete the files of his misdemeanors before making his exit)? I thought I could do it by putting the cameras on a different SSID on my DrayTek 2860ac router but it caused the cameras to lose connection to the monitor every so often (usually, at least once a day), causing me to have to restart the monitor software, so that's not really a practicable option. Any ideas?

:)

TheLyppardMan, Feb 12, 2017
  2. BaJ# Win User

Map Network Drive - error 'a device on the network is not functioning'

Original title: Accessing NAS using Windows 10

I know, another frustrated NAS user here! I've trawled many sites but nothing seems to work, and this is a last gasp attempt to get some assistance.

My setup: Macbook Pro 2015 running Windows 10 via a Boot Camp partition. The laptop is connected to the network via wifi. Also on the network is a Synology Diskstation DS212j NAS.

Using the OS X side of the laptop, I can log on to the NAS without issue.

When using Windows 10, the fun starts.

I have tried:

- Map Network Drive - get an error telling me that 'a device on the network is not functioning', even after turning on network discovery. Tried putting in the server name/share name, and also server ip address and share name, same error.

- Via Network - the NAS shows up under Computers; when I double-click, it give me the error message asking me to check my spelling, etc

- Via Network, it also shows up under Other Devices; double clicking this brings up the NAS web page. From here I can access my fines and change settings etc, just fine.

- after hours of frustration, I resorted to and accessing the NAS via FTP; this worked just fine, but nowhere near as smoothly as by using Explorer.installing FileZilla

This is EXTREMELY frustrating. Under Windows 7 I was able to map the network drive and access the files in under 30 seconds. Windows 10 has made is very complicated indeed.

Can anyone help me and, no doubt, many others?

3. Map Network Drive - error 'a device on the network is not functioning'

Hi,

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you, I realize this may be frustrating.

This issue is better suited in TechNet forum, we have a dedicated team to help you with this type of issues. I suggest you to post the same question in TechNet forum for further assistance with this issue. Follow the below link to post your question in
    TechNet forum.

Technet forums - Windows 10 IT Pro

Do let us know any issues regarding Windows.

Thank you.

Pratiksha Devadiga, Feb 12, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Hiding a device on the network

If there active they will be seen if someone needs to find them you can make it harder but not totally hide them it's not the camera you need to hide it's the photos you could send them off site depending on file size etc

Samuria, Feb 12, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    In your situation, the only way to keep anyone getting on your wifi network and seeing it, is to make sure that it is locked down for SFTP/SSH and also remote connection if you plan on viewing active real time or go back through historical data.

The screen is just a way to look at the camera's. It has nothing to do with the data that is being sent through FTP to a server that you keep the images on. Set up a remote account that you can upload data too and that way if something happens to your storage at home, you always have latest backups.

Personally those who will rob a house will head for easy items to steal. They are not going to worry about taking down the camera's, unless they are doing something against you that they do not want you to know who they are. Keep the serial number and picture of each item on a USB key and remote storage for safe keeping and as I stated before, keep security strong, which means in the way you are thinking, you can use a Gateway that allows for VLAN's or even place another router behind the current one, to keep the camera's on their own edge network. Only issue is that you are using firewall rules on multiple Gateway's/routers to get into the camera feed.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Hiding a device on the network

1. Hiding a device on the network - Similar Threads - Hiding device network

2. How to hide the "Network" icon

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to hide the "Network" icon: How to hide the "Network" icon from left panel in the file explorer for multiple users in the domain that using windows 10 using group policy management in windows server?...
  3. Hide disconnected devices in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hide disconnected devices in Device Manager: I used this command to show disconnected devices: SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1 But then I wanted to hide them, so I entered: SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=0 But it still shows disconnected devices! (When I click view/show hidden devices). Problem is even normally...
  4. Hide disconnected devices in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Support
    Hide disconnected devices in Device Manager: I used this command to show disconnected devices: SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1 But then I wanted to hide them, so I entered: SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=0 But it still shows disconnected devices! (When I click view/show hidden devices). Problem is even normally...
  5. Hiding Devices in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hiding Devices in Device Manager: I'm looking to hide a few devices in Device Manager so that they stop showing up in 'Devices & Printers'. How do I hide these devices? (I am not trying to remove the devices, simply hide them) I am currently using Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.19042 Build 19042 175368
  6. Cannot hide devices in Network pane in Explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot hide devices in Network pane in Explorer?: Hey all, Having a difficult time with a small network. TLDR version... a bunch of Macs and smart devices show up in the Network pane/folder in Explorer and I can't seem to find a way to make them go away. It's causing issues because users think they can click them and do...
  7. Network tab - hide devices?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network tab - hide devices?: The 'Network' tab shows every device connected to the same network as my PC. Is there way to make all of those other devices (routers, phones, TVs, etc.) NOT show up? submitted by /u/Cinderbike [link] [comments]...
  8. hide the hidden network

hide the hidden network: I have already hidden my wifi from neighbors but still on my laptop its showing two wifi network the one is my original network lets say zx, below it a network name is coming "hidden network". if my neighbors can see a wifi network with named called hidden network then...
  9. Hide network drive

Hide network drive: I have a network drive mapped and I want to hide it, is it possible? 131356
  10. Hide network drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Hide network drive: I have a network drive mapped and I want to hide it, is it possible? 131356