Windows 10: High background CPU usage but only when two users logged in

Discus and support High background CPU usage but only when two users logged in in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My W10 (64) PC runs slowly owing to high CPU usage by background tasks but only when I have two users logged in (probably be the same with more users... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by PMR0001, Oct 6, 2019.

1. PMR0001 Win User

High background CPU usage but only when two users logged in

My W10 (64) PC runs slowly owing to high CPU usage by background tasks but only when I have two users logged in (probably be the same with more users but not tried it).

Processes such as runtimemonitor.exe, services.exe and Microsoft photos (even though it has not be run up) gobble up CPU.

Hence, after a reboot, I logged in, run up Firefox and Resource Monitor and all was well with CPU < 10%. I logged in to a second account, ran up Resource Monitor and could see the CPU around 50% even after waiting for a while. Switching back to the original account (so two now logged in) and the CPU was still around 50%.

Hence, I then logged out of the second account and returned to the first and CPU usage was back to normal, i.e <10%.

Anyone any ideas? I have run wpr for a couple of minutes for each of the above situations (one account logged in, two accounts logged in, then after logging out of the second and back to the first account). All zipped up it is 700MB ish and can share with a suitable file sharing site if this may help in troubleshooting.

Thanks.

:)

PMR0001, Oct 6, 2019
  2. ajs007 Win User

Windows Explorer high CPU usage as Apps or Background Process...

3May2018...

Running Windows10 Home Ver 1709 latest OS Build on

Intel Core i5 CPU @ 3.8GHz.

Recently Windows Explorer has been running at high CPU usage 45% to 50%

Even when I am not using File Explorer - Windows Explorer runs as a Background Process as same high CPU usage...

First when will Microsoft stick to the new name File Explorer - instead of showing Windows Explorer as the app in the Task Manager...confusing :-(

Two - I saw someone else with the same problem and a ridiculous multi step cumbersome solution of creating another account (where Windows Explorer did not have high CPU) and then a painful exercise of trying to migrate all applications and files from one
    account to the other.

Apparently the original user account may have had a corruption....

Are there any simpler explanations out there on how to fix run away Windows(File) Explorer???

ajs007, Oct 6, 2019
  3. Bart J. Win User
    wpcmon.exe high CPU usage

Your remark about high IO got me thinking. I had a hunch that it could be caused by lack of permissions when trying to initialize some resource. So what I did:

• I changed the account type of my children to 'Administrator'
    • I logged into their accounts --> the CPU usage of wpcmon.exe averaged around a reasonable 5%
    • I logged out of their accounts again
    • I changed their account types back to 'Standard User'
    • Logging back into their accounts, I did not see high CPU usage anymore
    I'll check again later to see if it's not a coincidence.

For completeness sake, while diagnosing I also:

• cleared all the event logs
    • I tried running the 'FamilySafetyMonitor' task as Administrator (in Task Scheduler definition you can choose a user and set the password - see my previous post where to find it) but this caused the job to go into an infinite loop of starting & stopping.
    • installed the latest updates for Windows 10.
    • I logged on to familysafety.microsoft.com and merged my children's settings for that PC to the new Windows 10 definition.
    So maybe one of those fixed it but I honestly doubt it.

Bart J., Oct 6, 2019
  4. High background CPU usage but only when two users logged in

Windows Explorer high CPU Usage in Windows 10

Hi Andrew,

Usually, too many background processes can boost your CPU usage. Since you already disabled the apps that are not necessary on startup,
    we suggest checking the applications running once you have successfully boot Windows 10. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• Click on the Start button and type Task Manager on the search box.
    • On the Task Manager window, you should see the programs running.
    • Click on the More details drop-down button to see the total number of apps running and their real-time CPU usage.

From there, you should see what applications are running on high CPU usage. You can also
    restart the Windows Management Instrumentation service and see if your CPU performance will improve. Follow the instructions below to restart the service:

• Click on the Start button and type Services.
    • Scroll down the list and look for Windows Management Instrumentation.
    • Right click on it and select Restart.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Oct 6, 2019
Thema:

High background CPU usage but only when two users logged in

1. High background CPU usage but only when two users logged in - Similar Threads - High background CPU

2. CPU usage is high

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU usage is high: My CPU usage is 50% and sometimes higher and the only thing I have opened is Google Chrome. Presentational font cache exe is using most of it and Chrome is using 10-15%. Memory usage is 60% and Chrome is using most of that. 960 mb What can I do to fix this?...
  3. User high CPU usage task manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    User high CPU usage task manager: Hello! Each time I open up a game my CPU usage seems to spike from ~30-40% to 90%, and thats not from the game, its from the user tab, is this normal when having a game open? How do I lower my user CPU usage? I'll leave screenshots below to understand it more. ^^^^^^^^^^^This...
  4. User high CPU usage task manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User high CPU usage task manager: Hello! Each time I open up a game my CPU usage seems to spike from ~30-40% to 90%, and thats not from the game, its from the user tab, is this normal when having a game open? How do I lower my user CPU usage? I'll leave screenshots below to understand it more. ^^^^^^^^^^^This...
  5. User high CPU usage task manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. High CPU Usage

High CPU Usage: I just did a factory reset of my windows 10 because of low storage and an issue I have had before and after the reset is high CPU usage. I don't have any external anti virus. And when I get the high usage I just have to open task manager and its fine. its not even when I play...
  7. High CPU usage

High CPU usage: I have constant ongoing high CPU usage . One of the causes is a non Windows app I'm trying to rectify. The other 3 are all Windows based; WMI provider host, Antimalware Service and Services and Controller App....
  8. High cpu usage

High cpu usage: Hi guys, I have a weird problem and I can't fix it. After changing some settings in Comand Promt my computer started behaving weird. My cpu usage is high and very unstable, for no reason. In the task manager there is nothing that should cause high cpu usage, there are no...
  9. High CPU usage with chat programs only

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High CPU usage with chat programs only: Hi my experience with Windows 10 has had it's ups and downs, but I have worked out all the bugs so far but this one. my CPU usage shoots up to 99 whenever using an audio chat program; it started in a virtual table top RPG site called Roll20 but I also experienced the problem...
  10. Photos Background Task Host - High CPU usage!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Photos Background Task Host - High CPU usage!: Hello! I'm new here so I will make this short. I installed Windows 10 (10130 build) and I love it. The only problem that I'm having with it is this Photo Background app that eats my cpu(30-40%)! When I start up windows I need to kill it in task manager everytime. But even...