Windows 10: High CPU and Battery usage after upgrading to SSD, Task Manager System process, Windows 10

Discus and support High CPU and Battery usage after upgrading to SSD, Task Manager System process, Windows 10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron with an i5 processor and 8 gb Ram. Recently I swapped my HDD for a new Samsung SSD because the computer would freeze... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Janan76, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Janan76 Win User

High CPU and Battery usage after upgrading to SSD, Task Manager System process, Windows 10

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron with an i5 processor and 8 gb Ram. Recently I swapped my HDD for a new Samsung SSD because the computer would freeze and my disk usage was perpetually at a 100%. Ever since I reinstalled windows, my laptops battery life has gone from an average of 4-5 hours and now finishes in under 2 hours with minimal usage. Each time I open task manager, the "System" task eats up an average of 30% of the CPU and always has either very high or high power usage, which I suspect is the reason for the massive decline in battery power, instead of the normal improvement when someone shifts from an HDD to an SSD. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!! High CPU and Battery usage after upgrading to SSD, Task Manager System process, Windows 10 cd6e8c35-85e4-485c-888b-5ffc266ffcda?upload=true.jpg

***Modified Title from: High CPU and Battery usage by Windows System task***

:)

Janan76, Feb 7, 2019

2. Task Manager High CPU Usage

I have the same problem myself with it only happens when I scroll through task manager and open and close it. I don't know this for sure but the reason this probably happens is that you may have a lot of processes running and task manager is using a lot
    of the CPU to process the usage of each program.

What I have done is disable data that I don't need to see like network usage and GPU usage and it drops the CPU usage a bit. I have also enabled everything and scrolled up and down on it and task manager uses almost twice as much.

I would suggest disabling everything but CPU, disk, and RAM, (I would not suggest having GPU on because it is almost always at 99% unless you have FPS limits).

Niogenesis, Feb 7, 2019
  3. Windows 10 System process high CPU usage in background

Hi all

Ever since I have updated to windows 10 back when it was realised, I have been experiencing high cpu usage by system even if nothing was running. Today I did a power report to check the health of my battery. Report spitted out couple of warning which relate
    to CPU usage. Ill insert a screenshot of this so you can see what I mean. Because of that constant CPU usage my leptop battery is not very good and CPU area gets really hot in normal tasks, I'm talking about 60-65 deg C compared to around 45-50 on windows
    8.1. If it helps my laptopop is Samsung NP700z5C s01uk with SSD upgrade.
    High CPU and Battery usage after upgrading to SSD, Task Manager System process, Windows 10 57a9e7df-a058-43c9-9a28-81225cd404b3.jpg

rafalsoboczynski, Feb 7, 2019
  4. deadalos Win User

High CPU and Battery usage after upgrading to SSD, Task Manager System process, Windows 10

"System" process with high CPU usage

I have exactly the same issue (high CPU usage) on a brand new HP ProBook 440 G5 (i7-8550U, pre-installed Win 10 Pro).

I am pretty sure that there is a problem with audio drivers when the computer wakes up from a sleep mode. I first observed that process flow.exe (audio bloatware provided by HP/Conexant) was consuming (after waking up) ~10–15 % CPU. Here's what I did:

• I have updated Windows to 1709, build 16229.251 and installed all updates --> Nothing has changed.
    • I have updated BIOS to the latest version provided by HP. --> Nothing has changed.
    • I have run Windows troubleshooting and HP Support Assistant checks --> No problems found, nothing has changed
    • I have manually updated Conexant ISST Audio Drivers (via Device Manager -> Update drivers). Windows installed a newer version. -->
      CPU usage by flow.exe has disappeared, but process called System in thread ACPI.sys+0x21cb0 started consuming ~20 % CPU.
    • I have uninstalled all Conexant software&drivers and manually installed generic High Definition Audio Device drivers provided by Microsoft (Driver Date: 21.02.2018). --> ACPI.sys+0x21cb0 still consumes ~20 % CPU.

Same issues are discussed in these threads on HP site:

The result is I cannot use sleep mode (as advised by this post:
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/ProBook-450-with-high-CPU-usage/m-p/6611446/highlight/true#M149605
    ).

deadalos, Feb 7, 2019
Thema:

1. High CPU and Battery usage after upgrading to SSD, Task Manager System process, Windows 10 - Similar Threads - High CPU Battery

2. High System Process CPU Usage.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High System Process CPU Usage.: Hello, I have an issue, with my computer, for some reason, even after restarting it, the system proccess uses my cpu from 10% to 25%Any ideas why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-system-process-cpu-usage/6a2d10fe-d652-40ea-a6f8-99412bb0b8f0
  3. High System Process CPU Usage.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High System Process CPU Usage.: Hello, I have an issue, with my computer, for some reason, even after restarting it, the system proccess uses my cpu from 10% to 25%Any ideas why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-system-process-cpu-usage/6a2d10fe-d652-40ea-a6f8-99412bb0b8f0
  4. High cpu usage after ssd upgrade.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High cpu usage after ssd upgrade.: Hello, I upgrade my laptop to HDD to SSD. But after that I'm seeing that, in HDD my cpu utilization 1 or 2% without doing anything. But in SSD utilization is now 30% without doing anything. Why?...
  5. High cpu usage after ssd upgrade.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High cpu usage after ssd upgrade.: Hello, I upgrade my laptop to HDD to SSD. But after that I'm seeing that, in HDD my cpu utilization 1 or 2% without doing anything. But in SSD utilization is now 30% without doing anything. Why?...
  6. High cpu usage after ssd upgrade.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. The "System" Process in Task Manager Using Unusually High CPU Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The "System" Process in Task Manager Using Unusually High CPU Usage: In the past few days I have noticed the System process using a lot of CPU in Task Manager, around25% - 40% CPU usage. Since then I have noticed my fans randomly start spinning a lot when I am doing light tasks, like using Chrome. I am also seeing the blue loading sign next to...
  8. system process high cpu usage

system process high cpu usage: so i went to task manager and i saw system process has high cpu usage and it was after when i connected 2 monitors https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-process-high-cpu-usage/f6b03902-5c5d-45ad-a4b1-3087455f1c83
  9. High CPU and Battery usage by Windows System task

High CPU and Battery usage by Windows System task: Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron with an i5 processor and 8 gb Ram. Recently I swapped my HDD for a new Samsung SSD because the computer would freeze and my disk usage was perpetually at a 100%. Ever since I reinstalled windows, my laptops battery life has gone from an average...
  10. 'System' process high CPU usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    'System' process high CPU usage: Hello, Since the past 3-4 days the process called 'System' has been constantly using approximately 35% of my CPU. The usage is pretty much constant all the time. Below you can find screenshots from task manager, resource monitor and process explorer. In the past I've...