Windows 10: High CPU and Battery usage by Windows System task

Discus and support High CPU and Battery usage by Windows System task in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron with an i5 processor and 8 gb Ram. Recently I swapped my HDD for a new Samsung SSD because the computer would freeze... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Janan76, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Janan76 Win User

High CPU and Battery usage by Windows System task

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron with an i5 processor and 8 gb Ram. Recently I swapped my HDD for a new Samsung SSD because the computer would freeze and my disk usage was perpetually at a 100%. Ever since I reinstalled windows, my laptops battery life has gone from an average of 4-5 hours and now finishes in under 2 hours with minimal usage. Each time I open task manager, the "System" task eats up an average of 30% of the CPU and always has either very high or high power usage, which I suspect is the reason for the massive decline in battery power, instead of the normal improvement when someone shifts from an HDD to an SSD. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!! High CPU and Battery usage by Windows System task cd6e8c35-85e4-485c-888b-5ffc266ffcda?upload=true.jpg

:)

Janan76, Feb 6, 2019

2. high cpu usage

After downloading windows 10, anytime I run any programs, I get high CPU usage. It does not matter whether it is google chrome, task manager, playing games, whatever. Anything seems to spike the CPU usage. I have already run malwarbytes and my antivirus
    programs and find no viruses. Any suggestions? Thanks.

JanMcCoy_827, Feb 6, 2019
  3. Windows Explorer high CPU Usage in Windows 10

To further troubleshoot the issue, we suggest checking the Task Manager again to see what are the
    applications that have high CPU usage. To do this, follow the same steps you did from the previous reply:

• Click on the Start button and type Task Manager on the search box.
    • On the Task Manager window, you should see the programs running.
    • Click on the More details drop-down button to see the total number of apps running and their real-time CPU usage.

However, based on your response above, it seems that you may need to create a new user account again and just install your apps manually instead of copying them as your
    previous user account might be corrupted.

Once your done with the steps, please let us know how it goes.

Jefferson Ore, Feb 6, 2019
  4. High CPU and Battery usage by Windows System task

Windows Explorer high CPU Usage in Windows 10

Hi Andrew,

Usually, too many background processes can boost your CPU usage. Since you already disabled the apps that are not necessary on startup,
    we suggest checking the applications running once you have successfully boot Windows 10. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• Click on the Start button and type Task Manager on the search box.
    • On the Task Manager window, you should see the programs running.
    • Click on the More details drop-down button to see the total number of apps running and their real-time CPU usage.

From there, you should see what applications are running on high CPU usage. You can also
    restart the Windows Management Instrumentation service and see if your CPU performance will improve. Follow the instructions below to restart the service:

• Click on the Start button and type Services.
    • Scroll down the list and look for Windows Management Instrumentation.
    • Right click on it and select Restart.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Feb 6, 2019
Thema:

High CPU and Battery usage by Windows System task

1. High CPU and Battery usage by Windows System task - Similar Threads - High CPU Battery

2. System/ntoskrnl.exe high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System/ntoskrnl.exe high cpu usage: Ntoskrnl.exe is using 20% cpu constantly. It brings my battery down to 1 hour from 10 hours. I’ve had this issue before and reinstalled windows but it has come back. I suspect it’s a third party app such as a Microsoft flight sim or another game causing this issue. The high...
  3. "system" task high CPU usage

"system" task high CPU usage: Hi guys,I recently bought the GS77 stealth and so far so great. I encountered a problem tho.There is a task in task manager called "system", that utilizes a lot of the cpu and cranks up the temps and fans around 10% of cpu.I tried a safe boot and it worked, but once I booted...
  4. "system" task high CPU usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "system" task high CPU usage: Hi guys,I recently bought the GS77 stealth and so far so great. I encountered a problem tho.There is a task in task manager called "system", that utilizes a lot of the cpu and cranks up the temps and fans around 10% of cpu.I tried a safe boot and it worked, but once I booted...
  5. Seemingly high usage of battery by system?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seemingly high usage of battery by system?: My system is using an excessive amount of battery according to my settings app. Is it just taking the total battery usage of all apps and showing it under system, or is there an actual problem with my computer?OS : Windows 11 Version 21H2 Build 22000.652Specs: Laptop : Dell...
  6. Seemingly high usage of battery by system?

Seemingly high usage of battery by system?: My system is using an excessive amount of battery according to my settings app. Is it just taking the total battery usage of all apps and showing it under system, or is there an actual problem with my computer?OS : Windows 11 Version 21H2 Build 22000.652Specs: Laptop : Dell...
  7. High CPU usage and Battery Drain

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High CPU usage and Battery Drain: This System process started on my Laptop and draining the battery very fast, pls help I tried finding many solutions but nothing worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-cpu-usage-and-battery-drain/76aa0a29-df81-4635-a4b4-b60f6585a09c
  8. High CPU usage and Battery Drain

High CPU usage and Battery Drain: This System process started on my Laptop and draining the battery very fast, pls help I tried finding many solutions but nothing worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-cpu-usage-and-battery-drain/76aa0a29-df81-4635-a4b4-b60f6585a09c
  9. High CPU usage by "System"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High CPU usage by "System": Hi. I am experiencing this problem - my cpu is running at high percentage and the biggest contributor to that is a "System" process in the task manager. Goes up to about 40%. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks submitted by /u/Vlatot [link] [comments]...
  10. High CPU and Battery usage after upgrading to SSD, Task Manager System process, Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High CPU and Battery usage after upgrading to SSD, Task Manager System process, Windows 10: Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron with an i5 processor and 8 gb Ram. Recently I swapped my HDD for a new Samsung SSD because the computer would freeze and my disk usage was perpetually at a 100%. Ever since I reinstalled windows, my laptops battery life has gone from an average...