Windows 10: High cpu and disk usage

Discus and support High cpu and disk usage in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi everyone I have an old Acer laptop. It has the issue of consuming high levels of disk and CPU when applications are running. I tried to do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by fadi, Apr 23, 2017.

1. fadi Win User

High cpu and disk usage

Hi everyone

I have an old Acer laptop. It has the issue of consuming high levels of disk and CPU when applications are running. I tried to do windows 10 reset, but the issue still exist.

Thanks in advance

:)

2. Javond Win User

Windows 10 high disk usage

Interesting. My CPU usage is fine. It's the disk that's high.

Javond, Apr 23, 2017
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Disk usage

I agree with Dave, adding more RAM will not help with a100% disk use. I did see a comment from ONE user that upgrading from 8-12GB did help with random pauses in Office applications (for what ever that knowlege is worth).

You should try to associated the disk use with specific applicatinsin task manager or Resource Manager.

There a few known causes of 100 % disk us in recent updates of Windoze

WIN10 100% DISK USAGE PROBLEM

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-100-pe...

2018 01 04- 6 WAYS TO FIX WINDOWS 10 HIGH CPU USAGE AFTER CU OR FCU – 100% DISK 100% CPU

https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/windows...

READ MORE – 100% HIGH CPU / RAM / FAN

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/stop-whats-rev...

Top 10 Ways to Fix High CPU/RAM/Memory Usage after Windows 10 Update
    https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-hig...

Fix Windows 10 High Memory Usage/Leak after the Creators Update
    https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-hig...

Fix WMI Provider Host High CPU Usage after Windows 10 Creators Update
    https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/wmi-pro...

Fix Computer Fan Noise Due to High CPU Usage on Windows 10
    https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-com...

Rohn007, Apr 23, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

High cpu and disk usage

zbook, Apr 23, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Please post a screenshot of your task manager when this is happening if you haven't resolved it. (Use the icon above your post to the left of the video icon).

Organise relevant columns high to low by clicking on that column's header.

dalchina, Apr 23, 2017
  6. fadi Win User
    High cpu and disk usage [​IMG]

also Windows Modules Installer Worker consuming 65% CPU
    Antimalware Service Executable, Service Host Local System (16)

7. CountMike New Member
    Too many things on a low performance computer.

CountMike, Apr 24, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

High cpu and disk usage

Hi, do you have any idea what's downloading? It seems something is installing.

Have you tried a clean boot as @zbook asked?

When you have logged in after a clean boot, please again post a screenshot of your task manager.
    Please also post a screenshot of your Update History

If internet use is still high after a clean boot, try disconnecting the internet and post another screenshot of our task manager.

Initial objective: to try to reach a state where very little is happening.

wsappx is related to the Store.
    What is wsappx and why is it causing high cpu load? - gHacks Tech News

Please complete your system specs (see mine for comparison). There's a Tutorial on how to do so if stuck. Please include details of your disk(s)
    Thanks.

dalchina, Apr 24, 2017
  9. It's Windows Update eating your bandwith and there's nothing you can do with it.

As for Antimalware Service Executable, that process is doing scheduled quick scan or it's real-time protection is turned on.

RoasterMen, Apr 24, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Maybe so, but if it is a continuing situation, there's something amiss. That's why I asked for the update history - could it be continually failing updates? And with wsappx active, I'm not so sure.

@fadi, please confirm if the high resource use is always what you see.

Can you say when this problem started- have you ever had Win 10 running on this successfully?
    Or did this start after you upgraded your -old- PC to Win 10?

dalchina, Apr 24, 2017
  11. fadi Win User
    I took a look at windows update and seems fines all updates were installed successfully. I did clean boot and seems there is no change,

disconnected the wifi and here is a pic of task manager

12. CountMike New Member
    I can see the screen shots, seems that you found the culprit, must be WiFi driver because a simple system update or any download wouldn't task even a single core processor that much.

CountMike, Apr 25, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

High cpu and disk usage

@CountMike - Hi, I've never seen Cortana download data like that... could you explain why you think it's a Wifi driver? Thanks.
    @fadi - thanks for updating the screenshots. Those definitely indicate that when the internet is connected you have a high level of activity- what I don't know is how that might be associated with Cortana, as it is according to those.

Clearly the activity is quite different after a clean boot - although there's a possibility the first one showed an update in progress.

Could you try a clean boot + ethernet connection (no Wifi)? Personally I think you'll see the same thing.

Could you provide your build number?
    (Win key + R, winver)

dalchina, Apr 25, 2017
  14. CountMike New Member
    Well, simple deduction, you plug something in, it cause a problem, you unplug it and problem ceases. WiFi problems are not an unknown thing either, in most cases it's driver is at fault. Just short time ago I had bad time troubleshooting memory leak with some Atheros drivers. Some also experience problems with updates and windows replacing drivers to wrong ones.

CountMike, Apr 25, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    I could understand that perhaps giving RAM or CPU issues, but not the data download... anyway, if he tries ethernet or comparison that should prove it one way or t'other.

Note: Cortana only appears in Task Manager- not in Process Explorer or another process manager I tried.

dalchina, Apr 25, 2017
Thema:

High cpu and disk usage

1. High cpu and disk usage - Similar Threads - High cpu disk

2. Cryptographic Services high Disk or CPU usage

in Windows 10 News
    Cryptographic Services high Disk or CPU usage: [IMG]Cryptographic is a Microsoft Windows Service that encrypts and decrypts your data during data access. In this way, security is provided to the data by encryption so that even if a hacker steals the data, they won’t be able to decipher it. However, users report that the...
  3. High CPU & Disk Space Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High CPU & Disk Space Usage: Hello Microsoft Community.Hoping to get some help to troubleshoot some issues I've had with my laptop for a while now.Primary pain point is that the computer boots and runs extremely slowly. This has been the case for a long time. CPU and/or Disk tend to run at 100%. I'm...
  4. High CPU & Disk Space Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High CPU & Disk Space Usage: Hello Microsoft Community.Hoping to get some help to troubleshoot some issues I've had with my laptop for a while now.Primary pain point is that the computer boots and runs extremely slowly. This has been the case for a long time. CPU and/or Disk tend to run at 100%. I'm...
  5. High CPU & Disk Space Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. high CPU and disk usage

high CPU and disk usage: My laptop has been with this problem for days in which sometimes the programs do not respondor they take a long time to respondI already restored windows and I still have the same problemthe cpu reaches 70%and disk 100%...
  7. High CPU and Disk usage.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High CPU and Disk usage.: My 3 year old PC suffers from high CPU and Disk usage. If one is normal the other goes up to %100. This continues for more than a year. I cleaned my PC, changed the thermal cooler of the CPU, resetted the whole system but still couldn't get rid of the problem. The weird...
  8. High CPU, Memory & Disk Usage

High CPU, Memory & Disk Usage: Hello Microsoft! I am new to post here so please don't kill me if I am doing wrong things here. I am in dire need of some tech support. I am becoming upset of what is happening with my laptop now. It responds so slow and often displays "not responding". My works were already...
  9. High Cpu and Disk usage at idle and beyond.

in Windows 10 Customization
    High Cpu and Disk usage at idle and beyond.: Hi everyone, not the best with this type of thing so hoping someone will help me out. My PC has off and on ran a choppy fps right from the go. I've had the computer for about a year and never really cared but now I would really like to get to the bottom of it. My search...
  10. CPU/DISK high Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU/DISK high Usage: hello guys, I have a Laptop MSI GL72 6QD since 2 days ago i started having some problems with high usage of cpu/disk/gpu more than as the usual. the game i used to play is a mmo but it just started happening from nowhere . [ATTACH]...