Windows 10: High CPU Temperature ?

Discus and support High CPU Temperature ? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; On normal, it stays on 60-70, maybe 80 sometimes, but as soon as I start something that's graphics related, it kicks up to 90s. The fan really starts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Marron, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Marron Win User

High CPU Temperature ?

On normal, it stays on 60-70, maybe 80 sometimes, but as soon as I start something that's graphics related, it kicks up to 90s. The fan really starts to kick in when about 93 degrees are reached, but it doesn't go down unless I stop the graphics stuff. Highest I've seen it go is 97 degrees. Is it normal for an intel chip to go that high ?

PS: This happens on my laptopo. My desktop doesn't get above 80 in the same conditions.
    PS2: Yeah, this isn't really Win10 related, but yeah. I wanna know what you think. What's your CPU temperature ?

:)

Marron, Jun 3, 2015

2. High cpu temperature

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to assist you with the query.

I realize this may be frustrating. Now that you have me with you, let me take care of this.

• Have you installed any third party security software on your computer?
    As an initial step, I suggest you to disable the antivirus software (and any other security software) and firewall on the computer as a test and check if that fixes the issue.

Disclaimer: Antivirus software helps protecting your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other
    software and\or troubleshoot any pertinent issue, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to malware attacks.

Step 1: Safe Mode with Networking

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started.

Refer: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

If the problem does not exist in safe mode, try to perform a clean boot and check.

Step 2: Clean Boot.

Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

Follow the article How to perform a clean boot in Windows in the below link and check if it helps:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: Once you perform clean boot do refer to the section
    How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting to boot the computer in normal mode.

Step 3: Make sure that you have the latest drivers installed on your computer.

You can have Windows automatically download recommended drivers and detailed information for your hardware and devices. This is a good way to make sure all your hardware and devices work properly.

You may refer: How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Also, check and Install if there are updates pending.

Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

• Press Windows logo + R keys, enter
      ms-settings: and then press OK. This opens Settings.

• In Settings, go to Update & security >
      Windows Update, and then select Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Jun 3, 2015
  3. High cpu temperature

Original Title: My computer doesnt run normal..

high cpu temp like its doing something, and whenever i run something cpu/ram usage is higher than normally, and this accoured just from one day to another, i even installed a fresh install onto a flashdrive, and same problem, and in frustration i installed
    a win7 first from a laptop, which were 32 bit and my computer is 64 bit, and i dont know if this has done something, i tried many things, and i dont know whats wrong.. original my system was windows 7 64 bit then i upgraded to win 10..

High CPU Temperature ? [​IMG]

andreasdalton, Jun 3, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

High CPU Temperature ?

To answer your question. No, this is not normal. The temp should be 30~45 for desktop and 40~55 for Laptop. 60~70 if under stress. In summer, they might go a little higher.

Are you using the Stock Heatsink and Fan ? If you do, you might want to replace with a better one and in addition, you also want to put some good thermal paste on the CPU(e.g Arctic Silver) and make sure it's seated tightly.

Here's the temp in my PC, overclocked to run @4.5GHZ and all SSD/HD's are around 30C.
    NOTE: I use water cooling instead of Heatsink/Fan

High CPU Temperature ? [​IMG]

topgundcp, Jun 3, 2015
  5. Your temps are going to be relative to the ambient temperature of your environment, say 10-20 degrees C higher.

I think it depends on the chip though. I have a few machines and Intel always runs hotter than AMD. I forget teh one machnes specs, but yes .. it runs about the same temps as what you're experiencing and exhibits the same behavior (fans kick on high), except the temps do drop with more cooling.

Intel chips are OK up to about 115 C - it's better to run cooler *Wink

Depending on your experience, you might think about re-seating the CPU heat sink and applying new thermal compound.

I use Tunia TX-2 Thermal Grease. It's a less expensive ($7 / 3.5g) than TX-4, but has comparable thermal characteristics
    conductivity: 4.5W/mK

I apply it using the "drop in the center" method

Slartybart, Jun 3, 2015
  6. Marron Win User
    I don't really think you should compare a custom built PC to a laptop. My PC is also overclocked at 4.4 GHz and runs cool enough. Thanks for the reply though.

Yeah, with a bit more monitoring, the temperatures actually do drop after the fans kick in, but not very fast. And since the temp I reached was 97 and my chip is 100% safe up to 100 degrees, I'll consider myself in the comfort zone, but I'll also keep an eye on the temperature. As soon as it reaches more than 100, I'll do something about it.

Marron, Jun 4, 2015
  7. topgundcp Win User
    I was not comparing anything. Just answered directly to your question. If it's in the 90C range then it does not matter if it's a Laptop, Desktop, Custom built. It is hot, period.

topgundcp, Jun 4, 2015
  8. Marron Win User

High CPU Temperature ?

Now I'm confused, 'cause one reply says "it's hot", while the other says "it's normal".

Marron, Jun 4, 2015
  9. labeeman Win User
    Being that close to design max that is HOT. Check your fan for dust bunnies.

labeeman, Jun 4, 2015
  10. brummyfan Win User
    It's hot but no need to be concerned, just use a can of Air duster and see whether it drops, if it does drops then open the laptop, re-paste the cpu and clean the fan.

brummyfan, Jun 4, 2015
  11. Marron Win User
    This may be a noob question, but what's a can of Air duster ?
    EDIT: I get it. So it's like compressed air.
    Do I need to unscrew the laptop ?

Marron, Jun 4, 2015
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    Yes... running in the 80's is hot(your processor is rated up to 72c) and it will cut the life expectancy of the processor down drastically. First I would get someone to clean out the laptop and then get a cooler to put under the laptop.. Laptop Cooling Pad, Laptop Cooler, Laptop Cooling Stand - Newegg.com

BunnyJ, Jun 4, 2015
  13. badrobot Win User

High CPU Temperature ?

Your CPU fan may not be working efficiently due to dust balls or the exhaust openings are "clogged". You may wanna look into that. Get a can of pressurized air.

badrobot, Jun 4, 2015
  14. Marron Win User
    My laptop was cleaned last month, so that's not the problem.
    (I had to ask the guy I bought it from.)

There's one more thing I want to say. It kind-of feels like it's the GPU that gets hot (even though I read CPU temperature), because it's only when the GPU is working that I get high temperature readings on the CPU.

Marron, Jun 4, 2015
  15. Within range, and at the high end. Normal is subject - I did say that some Intel processors run hot, I didn't mean to imply that it was normal.

Thare are sosme good easy suggestions members have made here.

Here re some Intel references (make sure I found the correct ones for your i5 4600 series processor though)

http://www.intel.com/support/process.../CS-029426.htm
    http://www.intel.com/support/process.../CS-029427.htm
    http://www.intel.com/support/process.../CS-033342.htm
    Very technical: Desktop 4th Gen Intel® Core™ Processor Family: Thermal Guide

One thing in those references I didn't see mentioned here are BIOS
    - check if the fan setting is quiet - change to a different setting (faster=louder) to see if that helps
    - also see if there is a BIOS update available and that the update is specific to cooloing or fan speed.

In the end, it might be necessary to reapply the thermal compound.

Slartybart, Jun 4, 2015
Thema:

High CPU Temperature ?

1. High CPU Temperature ? - Similar Threads - High CPU Temperature

2. Anormal High fan and cpu usage-High cpu temperature

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Anormal High fan and cpu usage-High cpu temperature: Hello, I am X550JK Asus laptop user. I noticed a problem some time after I added an 8gb ram boost to my computer. Computer fans speed up and slow down abruptly and this happens all the time. I applied new thermal paste, after applying it, my computer did not get hot at all,...
  3. Anormal High fan and cpu usage-High cpu temperature

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anormal High fan and cpu usage-High cpu temperature: Hello, I am X550JK Asus laptop user. I noticed a problem some time after I added an 8gb ram boost to my computer. Computer fans speed up and slow down abruptly and this happens all the time. I applied new thermal paste, after applying it, my computer did not get hot at all,...
  4. Anormal High fan and cpu usage-High cpu temperature

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. CPU Temperature is High

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU Temperature is High: Hi, so I enabled all my cores. But the tempuratures were pretty high so I enabled only 1 again. Now it only shows 1 and I can't turn it back to 8. My laptop is super slow and I can barely do anything. [Original Title: Cores]...
  6. High CPU And GPU temperature

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High CPU And GPU temperature: Hii there, I have a HP 15 BS658TX laptop, I bought it a year ago. Now my problem is I am having very high CPU and GPU temp while playing games. As summer season is going on here in India so normal GPU and CPU temp is about 50℃ and as i start a game it rises whole the way up...
  7. Black Screen after high CPU temperature

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black Screen after high CPU temperature: Today When I booted to windows 10, After some minutes, Suddenly Mouse & keyboard stopped working. I restrated the PC with reset button & went to the BIOS & checked the monitoring section. There I saw that temperature of CPU is too high (more than 80c) & after some seconds,...
  8. Black Screen after high CPU temperature

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen after high CPU temperature: Today When I booted to windows 10, After some minutes, Suddenly Mouse & keyboard stopped working. I restrated the PC with reset button & went to the BIOS & checked the monitoring section. There I saw that temperature of CPU is too high (more than 80c) & after some seconds,...
  9. cpu high temperature

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cpu high temperature: My cpu is getting 80 c on stand by and when turn on task manager it gets to normal temperature. I tried this in cmd : 1. Open command prompt. (Type cmd in Search or Press Windows Logo Key+X. Click on Command Prompt admin). 1. Type the following 4 commands at the CMD...
  10. High CPU Temperatures

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    High CPU Temperatures: Hi, I have been having some high CPU temperatures on my laptop while I have just been using MS Word. While this has been happening, I have been looking at the temperatures in HWmonitor, on average it was reading 110 degrees Celsius. So I put the laptop into hibernation...