Windows 10: High CPU usage by browser chrome or firefox on startup

Discus and support High CPU usage by browser chrome or firefox on startup in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Every time after booting up windows 10, Chrome would start running automatically in the background only, no window opened up. Task manager would show a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Kmr_Adi, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Kmr_Adi Win User

High CPU usage by browser chrome or firefox on startup

Every time after booting up windows 10, Chrome would start running automatically in the background only, no window opened up. Task manager would show a CPU usage of about 70% for Google Chrome and the fans of laptop started running at full speed. I tried disabling Chrome in startup tab in the task manager and all other settings of Chrome recommended online, but nothing worked.

So I uninstalled Google Chrome, and since the next startup the same issue is occurring with firefox. I can't uninstall firefox because I need it for work.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling chrome, and I do not have any antivirus installed, just the default one that comes with windows.

Note : This all started after a windows update around 1 or 2 months ago, and ever since then the only work around is to open task manager and manually "end task" the Chrome or firefox service.

I updated Windows again 2 days ago but it did not fix the issue

This is the screenshot for firefox.

High CPU usage by browser chrome or firefox on startup 9786b7bd-7fe8-4619-8de5-cff294841a76?upload=true.png

:)

Kmr_Adi, Jan 20, 2021

2. high cpu usage

After downloading windows 10, anytime I run any programs, I get high CPU usage. It does not matter whether it is google chrome, task manager, playing games, whatever. Anything seems to spike the CPU usage. I have already run malwarbytes and my antivirus
    programs and find no viruses. Any suggestions? Thanks.

JanMcCoy_827, Jan 20, 2021
  3. Edge causes High CPU and Memory Usage in System and Compressed Memory

Hi I have this issue on multiple computers that have easily more than enough resources to run the operating system and more than meet the recommend specs for windows 10.

Forget what Nyima says as I have tried it all without success.

Edge browser hangs, is slow, has high cpu usage, high ram usage and lags when opening pages laden with flash objects. It looks like MS need to do some more work on the browser which is a bit of a disappointment as it promised so much.

I suggest switching to Internet Explorer, Chrome and Firefox in that order and problem fixed!

IE, Chrome & Firefox seem to handle flash player much better and do not seem to have the problems that edge does.

sikicon.chip, Jan 20, 2021
  4. Stevens79 Win User

High CPU and memory usage on Windows 10 with Microsoft Edge.

Wow, this reply really nailed it. For both Edge and Firefox, I monitored the CPU usage and picked a process with high CPU usage. I killed 1 process per app and the CPU went down to under an average of 10%.

One connection was Fox News (Firefox), but can't see which one was stopped in Edge.

Great suggestion!

Stevens79, Jan 20, 2021
Thema:

1. High CPU usage by browser chrome or firefox on startup - Similar Threads - High CPU usage

2. High Windows Defender CPU usage while browsing with Firefox

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High Windows Defender CPU usage while browsing with Firefox: Antimalware Process hovers around 30% while opening any webpage in Firefox. No issue with Edge. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-windows-defender-cpu-usage-while-browsing/1cf8e95b-f18d-4e6f-a0d7-fc7cf9725c38
  3. High Windows Defender CPU usage while browsing with Firefox

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High Windows Defender CPU usage while browsing with Firefox: Antimalware Process hovers around 30% while opening any webpage in Firefox. No issue with Edge. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-windows-defender-cpu-usage-while-browsing/1cf8e95b-f18d-4e6f-a0d7-fc7cf9725c38
  4. Chrome software reporter tool High CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chrome software reporter tool High CPU Usage: Not sure if this should be asked here or at Chrome forums. Sorry if it's the wrong place.Chrome application "software_reporter_tool.exe" is continuously consuming above 50% CPU. I've tried with no avail,1. Restarting Chrome and clearing cache2. Restarting windowsChrome is up...
  5. Chrome software reporter tool High CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chrome software reporter tool High CPU Usage: Not sure if this should be asked here or at Chrome forums. Sorry if it's the wrong place.Chrome application "software_reporter_tool.exe" is continuously consuming above 50% CPU. I've tried with no avail,1. Restarting Chrome and clearing cache2. Restarting windowsChrome is up...
  6. Chrome software reporter tool High CPU Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. High CPU Usage Not on windows processes but on web browsers!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High CPU Usage Not on windows processes but on web browsers!: Hi, recently I updated windows 10, after the update, I've been having a problem where whenever I refresh / open a tab / website, the CPU Usage goes from under 10% to 70% and then back to normal after the sites have fully loaded it makes it really slow. Does someone know how...
  8. Google Chrome High CPU Usage.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Google Chrome High CPU Usage.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/LostMC07 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hlz1t9/google_chrome_high_cpu_usage/
  9. High CPU usage on startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High CPU usage on startup: Hi Everytime I've started my computer (from shutdown) in the last month or two it's been a bit sluggish and has had 100% CPU usage on task manager, a lot of it is being used by the antimawlare service executable, microsoft compatibility telemetry and Microsoft Software...
  10. Fix Firefox high CPU or Memory usage on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Firefox high CPU or Memory usage on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]High CPU or Memory usage is known to slow down, hang, or freeze systems with Windows 10 installed in them. This high CPU usage could be caused by many applications and processes. If your system is showing high CPU usage [...] This post Fix Firefox high CPU...