Windows 10: high CPU usage by Windows Explorer

Discus and support high CPU usage by Windows Explorer in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I was looking through the performance of my new msi laptop, and noticed Windows Explorer was using almost the same, if not more CPU than fusion360.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by arknight305, Feb 17, 2020.

1. high CPU usage by Windows Explorer

Hi, I was looking through the performance of my new msi laptop, and noticed Windows Explorer was using almost the same, if not more CPU than fusion360. Even with all apps closed and at idle, the program is still using up to 17% cpu. I've looked up causes for this, and one site suggested malware. I then ran multiple scans on all drives and found no issues. someone please help me if this is normal or abnormal. i also have a program that refuses to be uninstalled. could this be the cause high CPU usage by Windows Explorer 86920f5a-89ca-4610-b6bf-95bfcc6bb3e7?upload=true.png

:)

arknight305, Feb 17, 2020

2. Windows Explorer high CPU Usage in Windows 10

Hi Andrew,

Usually, too many background processes can boost your CPU usage. Since you already disabled the apps that are not necessary on startup,
    we suggest checking the applications running once you have successfully boot Windows 10. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• Click on the Start button and type Task Manager on the search box.
    • On the Task Manager window, you should see the programs running.
    • Click on the More details drop-down button to see the total number of apps running and their real-time CPU usage.

From there, you should see what applications are running on high CPU usage. You can also
    restart the Windows Management Instrumentation service and see if your CPU performance will improve. Follow the instructions below to restart the service:

• Click on the Start button and type Services.
    • Scroll down the list and look for Windows Management Instrumentation.
    • Right click on it and select Restart.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Feb 17, 2020
  3. Windows Explorer high CPU Usage in Windows 10

To further troubleshoot the issue, we suggest checking the Task Manager again to see what are the
    applications that have high CPU usage. To do this, follow the same steps you did from the previous reply:

• Click on the Start button and type Task Manager on the search box.
    • On the Task Manager window, you should see the programs running.
    • Click on the More details drop-down button to see the total number of apps running and their real-time CPU usage.

However, based on your response above, it seems that you may need to create a new user account again and just install your apps manually instead of copying them as your
    previous user account might be corrupted.

Once your done with the steps, please let us know how it goes.

Jefferson Ore, Feb 17, 2020
  4. ajs007 Win User

high CPU usage by Windows Explorer

Windows Explorer high CPU usage as Apps or Background Process...

3May2018...

Running Windows10 Home Ver 1709 latest OS Build on

Intel Core i5 CPU @ 3.8GHz.

Recently Windows Explorer has been running at high CPU usage 45% to 50%

Even when I am not using File Explorer - Windows Explorer runs as a Background Process as same high CPU usage...

First when will Microsoft stick to the new name File Explorer - instead of showing Windows Explorer as the app in the Task Manager...confusing :-(

Two - I saw someone else with the same problem and a ridiculous multi step cumbersome solution of creating another account (where Windows Explorer did not have high CPU) and then a painful exercise of trying to migrate all applications and files from one
    account to the other.

Apparently the original user account may have had a corruption....

Are there any simpler explanations out there on how to fix run away Windows(File) Explorer???

ajs007, Feb 17, 2020
Thema:

high CPU usage by Windows Explorer

1. high CPU usage by Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - high CPU usage

2. Windows Explorer High CPU and Memory Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer High CPU and Memory Usage: Hello,I'm encountering a persistent problem with Windows Explorer where it exhibits high CPU and memory usage whenever I attempt to open a folder with a size exceeding 30 GB. Despite my best efforts, I have tried numerous troubleshooting steps, including disk cleanup, disk...
  3. Windows Explorer High CPU and Memory Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer High CPU and Memory Usage: Hello,I'm encountering a persistent problem with Windows Explorer where it exhibits high CPU and memory usage whenever I attempt to open a folder with a size exceeding 30 GB. Despite my best efforts, I have tried numerous troubleshooting steps, including disk cleanup, disk...
  4. Windows Explorer High CPU and Memory Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows explorer taking up high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer taking up high cpu usage: Recently on my windows 10 pc the windows explorer app has been taking up to 16% on my CPU.It has also effected navigating the file explorer, deleting, opening and moving in it often results in it becoming non-responsive and when I close the non-responsive application my whole...
  6. Windows explorer taking up high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows explorer taking up high cpu usage: Recently on my windows 10 pc the windows explorer app has been taking up to 16% on my CPU.It has also effected navigating the file explorer, deleting, opening and moving in it often results in it becoming non-responsive and when I close the non-responsive application my whole...
  7. Build 1909 Windows Explorer high CPU usage.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Build 1909 Windows Explorer high CPU usage.: Hey all, Not sure what is going on here. I get very high CPU usage (around 50% on a Ryzen 2700x) and it comes from windows explorer. [img] When I try to open windows explorer, it is extremely slow. This problem is intermittent. Sometimes I reboot and it doesn't show up....
  8. Windows Explorer CPU & Memory usage ridiculously high

Windows Explorer CPU & Memory usage ridiculously high: Lately Windows Explorer has been running at 98-100% cpu usage for the Windows Explorer process and like 5GBs of RAM being hogged by it, for no reason. This is all at idle. I've tried restarting the process, restarting my laptop, updating the laptop, SFC scan & DISM repair....
  9. Windows 10 Explorer Refresh and High CPU Usage

Windows 10 Explorer Refresh and High CPU Usage: Hi, I have an HP Laptop running windows 10 pro 1809 (fully up to date). Recently the user has noticed at all times from power up to shutdown all of the icons, both desktop and taskbar are constantly refreshing. I have rolled back and re-installed the display driver to...
  10. Windows Explorer High CPU and Increasing Memory Usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer High CPU and Increasing Memory Usage: Hi, I have an issue with my clean 1809 install (and also it happened before the clean install, and i decided to try a clean one due to it). After a few minutes, the Windows Explorer process starts increasing its memory usage and also CPU is around 10%; i'm up to 2gb usage...