Windows 10: High CPU Usage from Explorer.exe

Discus and support High CPU Usage from Explorer.exe in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My explorer.exe consistently uses 25%~ of my CPU, it persists through restarts and restarting the process itself. I believe a reinstall would fix it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Lukeqz, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Lukeqz Win User

High CPU Usage from Explorer.exe

My explorer.exe consistently uses 25%~ of my CPU, it persists through restarts and restarting the process itself. I believe a reinstall would fix it but i'd much rather fix it manually first if I can.

Please ask for any more information you may need.

High CPU Usage from Explorer.exe [​IMG]

:)

Lukeqz, Dec 29, 2015
  2. 8bar Win User

WIN10 1703 update cause Explorer.exe high CPU usage

I was able to solve this problem. I had noticed that explorer.exe was suddenly consuming high cpu. Tried everything--disabled startup items, disabled non-MS services, disabled scheduled tasks--same problem. Then I went to the "virtual agent" on the MS
    tech support page (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us) and typed in "explorer.exe high cpu" and the first answer was to look for an item on the desktop with a defective (not showing) icon. I deleted that one and explorer.exe immediately stopped using the
    large amounts of cpu! Here is a direct link to the answer: explorer.exe high CPU usage - tried everything I can think of - Win7 64-bit

3. WIN10 1703 update cause Explorer.exe high CPU usage

Hi,

Glad you reached out. First, we would like to know if Explorer.exe
    is the only cause of high CPU usage. Because the common cause of high CPU usage are the following:

- Windows 10 Memory leak after the update.

- Driver incompatibilities after the update.

- Multiple startup applications

We'll be waiting for your update.

Richard tie, Dec 29, 2015
  4. brummyfan Win User

Hi,
    Welcome to the forums, find out the page file size, if it's system managed, try increasing the size, follow the steps from 3 to 9 in this tutorial:Virtual Memory Paging File - Change

brummyfan, Dec 30, 2015
  5. Lukeqz Win User
    Hi, thanks for your reply brummyfan, sorry I'm taking so long to get back, I had completely forgotten I made the thread. I believe I have done what you asked, but I haven't seen any noticeable difference, even after rebooting.

Lukeqz, Jan 11, 2016
  6. AnEdge Win User
    Have you tried running an sfc/scannow to see if you have corrupt files? You need to run it from the command prompt as administrator.Let it run and let us know what the results say. It will take about 10 min.
    If there is corruption its any easy fix if the sfc doesn't fix it,

AnEdge, Jan 11, 2016
  7. Lukeqz Win User
    I believe I ran that a few weeks ago when I first noticed the problem, but I just ran it again to make sure. It said no integrity violations.

Lukeqz, Jan 11, 2016
  8. AnEdge Win User

Hmmm... And you tried restarting it from within the task manager?

Have you tried running a scan with Malwarebytes and your AV, possible you may be infected. Try the scans, and later try booting into safe mode and see if it persists...another possibility is that a rouge program is causing it. Let us know

Just found this
    SOLVED:
    1) Open C:Windows/Temp
    2) Delete all the data
    3) Open task manager
    4) Terminate explorer.exe
    5) Start a new explorer.exe
    6) Problem solved.

AnEdge, Jan 11, 2016
  9. Lukeqz Win User
    Alright, so I also found your Solved section before, I tried that then, and now.

I then did a scan with MWB, which picked up a few files but nothing it deemed dangerous. I ran a full scan on my AV instead of a quick scan, and it picked up 3 Severe, which it hadn't before. I removed those and then booted into safe mode.

The High CPU usage was there, but was remedied when I did the solved steps again safe mode. Explorer.exe then remain low CPU usage (<1%) until I rebooted normally. The problem was still there out of safe mode and was not fixed by repeated the steps again.

Lukeqz, Jan 11, 2016
  10. AnEdge Win User
    Seems like you have a deep root virus, you may have to do a clean reinstall , unless we find a way to totally flush out the infection...some are bitch to get rid of, and it would be less time consuming to just clean reinstall. I assume you have a clean backup of your files lying around? Maybe a system image prior to the problem?

Check online for other virus removals, others pick up some that are left behind from your AV or MWB. I'll sleep on it.
    Also try running MWB in safe mode and AV also.

AnEdge, Jan 11, 2016
  11. Lukeqz Win User
    I probably sound like an idiot, but is it easy to get a fresh install of win10, it was the free upgrade and i'm not sure what the process would be.

Lukeqz, Jan 11, 2016
  12. brummyfan Win User
    Hi Lukeqz,
    Get a free copy of Macrium Reflect, create a recovery CD, backup the whole hard drive to an external HDD, clean install.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

brummyfan, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. High CPU Usage from Explorer.exe - Similar Threads - High CPU Usage

2. Windows Explorer High CPU and Memory Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer High CPU and Memory Usage: Hello,I'm encountering a persistent problem with Windows Explorer where it exhibits high CPU and memory usage whenever I attempt to open a folder with a size exceeding 30 GB. Despite my best efforts, I have tried numerous troubleshooting steps, including disk cleanup, disk...
  3. Windows Explorer High CPU and Memory Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer High CPU and Memory Usage: Hello,I'm encountering a persistent problem with Windows Explorer where it exhibits high CPU and memory usage whenever I attempt to open a folder with a size exceeding 30 GB. Despite my best efforts, I have tried numerous troubleshooting steps, including disk cleanup, disk...
  4. Windows Explorer High CPU and Memory Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. CPU usage is high

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU usage is high: My CPU usage is 50% and sometimes higher and the only thing I have opened is Google Chrome. Presentational font cache exe is using most of it and Chrome is using 10-15%. Memory usage is 60% and Chrome is using most of that. 960 mb What can I do to fix this?...
  6. High CPU Usage cxuiusvc64.exe is the culprit

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High CPU Usage cxuiusvc64.exe is the culprit: Hi. Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928) So my problems started a few days after the last update; 2021-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64 based Systems (KB5001330). I have Piriforms Speccy installed and it reports the cpu temp is around a constant temp in...
  7. High CPU usage

High CPU usage: I have constant ongoing high CPU usage . One of the causes is a non Windows app I'm trying to rectify. The other 3 are all Windows based; WMI provider host, Antimalware Service and Services and Controller App....
  8. High cpu usage

High cpu usage: Hi guys, I have a weird problem and I can't fix it. After changing some settings in Comand Promt my computer started behaving weird. My cpu usage is high and very unstable, for no reason. In the task manager there is nothing that should cause high cpu usage, there are no...
  9. high CPU usage by Windows Explorer

high CPU usage by Windows Explorer: Hi, I was looking through the performance of my new msi laptop, and noticed Windows Explorer was using almost the same, if not more CPU than fusion360. Even with all apps closed and at idle, the program is still using up to 17% cpu. I've looked up causes for this, and one...
  10. unsual high cpu usage of regsvr32.exe

unsual high cpu usage of regsvr32.exe: hello everyone I'm having a bit of trouble with this application. Just recently my CPU has been mostly taken up by one instance of the above file continuously running. Now I have had a look in Task Manager and the following command lines are stated as below:-...
Tags: