Windows 10: High cpu usage in ntkernel after mouse idle for 240 seconds

Discus and support High cpu usage in ntkernel after mouse idle for 240 seconds in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My system: motherboard = Gigabyte Gaming 9 bios version = f8c cpu = i9-7940x hdd1 = m2 ssd samsung 256 gb only for os hdd2 = m2 ssd samsung 2 tb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Wernervan Bentem, Jul 28, 2018.

1. High cpu usage in ntkernel after mouse idle for 240 seconds

My system:

motherboard = Gigabyte Gaming 9

bios version = f8c

cpu = i9-7940x

hdd1 = m2 ssd samsung 256 gb only for os

hdd2 = m2 ssd samsung 2 tb

hdd 3 = m2 ssd samsung 2 tb

hdd 4 = 10 tb normal hd

hdd 5 = ssd samsung 2 tb

memory = 8*32 = 128 mb
    video = Nvidia gtx 1060 6 gb

OS = win10 1803

The system is used only for running vmware and sometimes edge (for short times).

I run normally about 7 to 12 vm guests with different os. The system is running 24/7

It is not to predict, but after a while the ntkerner and & system is starting using one logical core for 100% when there is no mouse movement for 240 seconds. Most times as soon as the mouse is moved this behaviour stops and the nt kernel & system proces (procesid = 4) is returning to normal cpu usage. But as soon as mouse is not moved for another 240 seconds the nt kerner proces is starting again with the strange behaviour.

I have created a performance logfile with windows performance recorder and looked into it with windows performance analyzer. The problem is related to thread id 9260 and down from there 9 levels deep you come to a undefined part of kernel which is using 49% of the total time and on 10th level there is stack itself which is using 45% of total time. So I guess there is some (ueseless?) looping going on between 9th and 10th level.

I have tried to find an answer for this problem but no luck.

I can upload the trace file. It is about 3gb uncompressed.

Can someone help me to solve the problem?

:)

Wernervan Bentem, Jul 28, 2018
  2. nikhilr51 Win User

High CPU Usage at Idle

Hey guys, recently my W10 PC seems to be using a fair bit of CPU. I noticed this because my Battlefield 1 fps appeared to have dropped. First thing I did was roll back my nvidia drivers to the previous version, but then I noticed my cpu usage. I seem to be using 35-45% cpu usage at idle. I've never seen it go below 35% (In safe mode its around 2-3%).

Things i've tried:
    - Sfc scannow at boot (it found & fixed a few things)
    - chkdsk /f at boot
    - Stuff from here: Windows 10 High CPU Usage Fixes
    - Superantispyware scan

Hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction!
    Thanks!

High cpu usage in ntkernel after mouse idle for 240 seconds [​IMG]

nikhilr51, Jul 28, 2018
  3. High CPU Usage at Idle

You also might want to take a look at Dynamic frequency scaling (also known as CPU throttling). Under Windows 10, the CPU is throttled back to 5% when the computer is idle and then gradually goes back up depending on work load. Perhaps the minimum and maximum percentages have been somehow altered from their defaults of 5% to 100%. Or on the Advanced Settings Tab, it might be set to High performance.

To check, follow this path: Control Panel > Power Options > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings.

Open the pull-down box and select "Balanced". On the list below, expand Processor power management > Minimum processor state.

Click on the word "Setting" and enter your desired percentage. The default is 5%. Note that if "High performance" is selected, the percentage is bumped up to 100%. This may be why your CPU is running fast. You can now retest using CPU-Z.

Mint Waxed, Jul 28, 2018
  4. High cpu usage in ntkernel after mouse idle for 240 seconds

high cpu usage

After downloading windows 10, anytime I run any programs, I get high CPU usage. It does not matter whether it is google chrome, task manager, playing games, whatever. Anything seems to spike the CPU usage. I have already run malwarbytes and my antivirus
    programs and find no viruses. Any suggestions? Thanks.

JanMcCoy_827, Jul 28, 2018
Thema:

High cpu usage in ntkernel after mouse idle for 240 seconds

1. High cpu usage in ntkernel after mouse idle for 240 seconds - Similar Threads - High cpu usage

2. High CPU usage after some idle minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High CPU usage after some idle minutes: I noticed that when I stop using mouse and keyboard, after minutes my CPU usage rises from ~3% to 50%, 8 out of 16 logic processors are running at full frequency. But once I move mouse or press key, CPU usage will drop to normal within ~3 seconds.I try to find which process...
  3. High CPU usage after some idle minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High CPU usage after some idle minutes: I noticed that when I stop using mouse and keyboard, after minutes my CPU usage rises from ~3% to 50%, 8 out of 16 logic processors are running at full frequency. But once I move mouse or press key, CPU usage will drop to normal within ~3 seconds.I try to find which process...
  4. High CPU usage after some idle minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. High cpu usage while idle.

High cpu usage while idle.: So for a while, I have been noticing that my CPU usage has been extremely high while idle. I have tried using commands such as DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth andsfc /scannow, and have also tried a malware scan on multiple antiviruses Avast, Malwarebytes, Windows...
  6. High CPU Usage at idle - Unarchiver running

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High CPU Usage at idle - Unarchiver running: For some reason, when I leave my computer at idle, I can hear the fans on my rad spin up. I have a rainmeter skin that shows my top process at it reads "unarchiver" with my CPU idling at about 50c and running at full clock. What's weird is that when I start up task manager,...
  7. System Idle Process High CPU Usage

System Idle Process High CPU Usage: I had a Windows 7 Professional and then thought about upgrading to Windows 10 since Windows 7 is coming to end. When I upgraded to Windows 10 i got a random Blue Screen. My PC restarted i opened Task Manager and there it is 100% CPU Usage non-stop. Its really annoying i read...
  8. High Idle CPU Usage System Interrupts

High Idle CPU Usage System Interrupts: I know EVERYONE asks "wait, what is this process, how come I'm idling with high CPU usage?!" but I have exhausted all internet solutions I can find here, and I work in IT. My server at home is an old Lenovo E32 with an i5 4590S, 12GB of DDR3 1600, an EVGA 500W G3 PSU, a GTX...
  9. High Cpu and Disk usage at idle and beyond.

in Windows 10 Customization
    High Cpu and Disk usage at idle and beyond.: Hi everyone, not the best with this type of thing so hoping someone will help me out. My PC has off and on ran a choppy fps right from the go. I've had the computer for about a year and never really cared but now I would really like to get to the bottom of it. My search...
  10. High CPU Usage at Idle

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High CPU Usage at Idle: Hey guys, recently my W10 PC seems to be using a fair bit of CPU. I noticed this because my Battlefield 1 fps appeared to have dropped. First thing I did was roll back my nvidia drivers to the previous version, but then I noticed my cpu usage. I seem to be using 35-45% cpu...