Windows 10: High CPU usage on all programs for no apparent reason

Discus and support High CPU usage on all programs for no apparent reason in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I have two PCs, one at home and one at my university. Recently I used my home PC SSD and HDD and put them in my university PC. The two PCs have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AustinGalli, Dec 24, 2019.

1. High CPU usage on all programs for no apparent reason

Hello,

I have two PCs, one at home and one at my university. Recently I used my home PC SSD and HDD and put them in my university PC. The two PCs have separate hardware, and everything worked fine on my university PC after I installed the proper drivers. However, when I put my drives back into my home PC, all games and softwares I use cause extreme CPU spikes and only 30-40 FPS on games I previously got 60+ FPS on. What I've noticed is that when looking at the total CPU usage in task manager that there is an unaccounted amount of CPU usage usually around 20-30%. Another thing I've noticed is that rapid mouse movements cause a CPU spike as well, usually getting it from 0% to 50% usage. The CPU temperature isn't high either. I've tried multiple solutions such as updating all drivers, resetting windows, changing power supply options, closing all background tasks, running virus scans, optimizing drives and repairing drives, and using WPA but have had no luck. I'm convinced that the issue is related to the CPU having the settings of AMD Ryzen my university PC CPU instead of AMD Fx-4350 settings my home PC CPU.

:)

AustinGalli, Dec 24, 2019

2. high cpu usage

After downloading windows 10, anytime I run any programs, I get high CPU usage. It does not matter whether it is google chrome, task manager, playing games, whatever. Anything seems to spike the CPU usage. I have already run malwarbytes and my antivirus
    programs and find no viruses. Any suggestions? Thanks.

JanMcCoy_827, Dec 24, 2019
  3. Rose Ter Win User
    Very high CPU usage and WPR trace

Hi Barbara,

There are a few reasons why your computer shows a high CPU usage. It could be because of malware or malfunctioning software. To better assist you, please clarify the following:

• Are you getting any error messages?
    • Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Any recent changes made prior to the issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

Regards.

Rose Ter, Dec 24, 2019
  4. Eric Ber Win User

High CPU usage on all programs for no apparent reason

service host high cpu usage

Hi Natalie,

Conflicts with the Firewall & Network protection settings is one of the possible reasons why you are having a high cpu usage on your computer. We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps in this

thread
    that was provided by Jean-Baptiste Dumuids to resolve the issue. Many community members find his post helpful.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Dec 24, 2019
Thema:

High CPU usage on all programs for no apparent reason

1. High CPU usage on all programs for no apparent reason - Similar Threads - High CPU usage

2. Very high ram usage for no apparent reason even when idle.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Very high ram usage for no apparent reason even when idle.: hey guys, ive been having this issue where even just right after i start up my pc, my ram usage is very high regardless of whats open. i have 32 gb of ram, and usually its like around 8 gb when idle, after a fresh boot of the pc can go to 10-12 when playing games not...
  3. High explorer.exe CPU usage without reason.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High explorer.exe CPU usage without reason.: Hello, I've had this issue for a while now where the windows explorer is using 20-25% of CPU when my pc is completely idle.My pc specs:i5-9400 2.9Ghz16GB DDR4 2400MhzGTX 1060 6GBWindows 10 Home 19044.1706What i've already tried:Disabling cloud storage OneDriveTurning every...
  4. High explorer.exe CPU usage without reason.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High explorer.exe CPU usage without reason.: Hello, I've had this issue for a while now where the windows explorer is using 20-25% of CPU when my pc is completely idle.My pc specs:i5-9400 2.9Ghz16GB DDR4 2400MhzGTX 1060 6GBWindows 10 Home 19044.1706What i've already tried:Disabling cloud storage OneDriveTurning every...
  5. High explorer.exe CPU usage without reason.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. High CPU Usage at all times

High CPU Usage at all times: I have at least 60% CPU usage always. When I check in processes, I see that Discord is using 40% of cpu, so I went to try and fix that. Nothing worked. But the problem is that even when Discord isn't running, I still have problems with my cpu usage. If I dont use Discord,...
  7. CPU usage all of a sudden high?

CPU usage all of a sudden high?: I have a laptop use it for games and browse the internet. Last week it was fine, but now all of a sudden my games fps dropped? I checked task manager and noticed that it was high all of a sudden. I did almost everything I saw online like update, delete apps and checked if I...
  8. High CPU usage on all programs for no reason?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High CPU usage on all programs for no reason?: Everytime I open a program, it will jump up extremely high in cpu usage, up to like 50% or more. For example, if I open up Opera GX, it jumps up to 40% CPU usage, goes down, and then whenever I interact with it, like opening up a new tab or loading a youtube video, it jumps...
  9. High CPU usage for no reason

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    High CPU usage for no reason: Hi, A little while ago, while I was working on a project on my PC, I noticed that my computer started getting laggy, I didn't have much open, so I checked task manager to see what was causing the high usage and nothing came up. The CPU usage was really high and when I added...
  10. 100% CPU Usage NO REASON AT ALL

100% CPU Usage NO REASON AT ALL: I had a Windows 7 Professional and then thought about upgrading to Windows 10 since Windows 7 is coming to end. When I upgraded to Windows 10 i got a random Blue Screen. My PC restarted i opened Task Manager and there it is 100% CPU Usage non-stop. Its really annoying i read...