Windows 10: High CPU usage when running OneDrive

Discus and support High CPU usage when running OneDrive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am running OneDrive both for a work account, and personal account. Frequently almost all the time OneDrive is running it causes my machine to hit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by cometbill, Dec 24, 2019.

1. cometbill Win User

High CPU usage when running OneDrive

I am running OneDrive both for a work account, and personal account.

Frequently almost all the time OneDrive is running it causes my machine to hit 100% CPU usage with Windows Explorer.exe taking about 2/3rds of that.

Here is a screenshot of Process Explorer, with CPU History showing.

High CPU usage when running OneDrive da443da4-9aa3-4eb3-a8e9-5b4adeaa9e2d?upload=true.jpg

I can sometimes temporarily alleviate this by :-

* closing all open Windows Explorer windows which isn't a viable practice, as I have windows open for notes, source code and other files I am referencing while working.

* Pausing Onedrive syncing temporarily - which isn't viable as I need files syncing with Sharepoint at work.

Other common issues include taking between 18 seconds and two minutes to open a context menu on a file in Windows Explorer whether that file is in a OneDrive folder, or not

and, Windows Explorer will also show the 'green scrolling bar' in the address bar field, showing activity for tens of minutes, if not hours.

High CPU usage when running OneDrive acc12ec8-2a8e-4766-ae8d-a5d1294d29bc?upload=true.jpg

I'm going to get my colleagues to reinstall Windows after my return in the New Year, as I really can't work with this lag.

Any help in tracking down these issues and saving me from a full reinstall on 6th January will be greatly appreciated.

:)

cometbill, Dec 24, 2019

2. high cpu usage

After downloading windows 10, anytime I run any programs, I get high CPU usage. It does not matter whether it is google chrome, task manager, playing games, whatever. Anything seems to spike the CPU usage. I have already run malwarbytes and my antivirus
    programs and find no viruses. Any suggestions? Thanks.

JanMcCoy_827, Dec 24, 2019
  3. Windows Explorer high CPU Usage in Windows 10

Hi Andrew,

Usually, too many background processes can boost your CPU usage. Since you already disabled the apps that are not necessary on startup,
    we suggest checking the applications running once you have successfully boot Windows 10. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• Click on the Start button and type Task Manager on the search box.
    • On the Task Manager window, you should see the programs running.
    • Click on the More details drop-down button to see the total number of apps running and their real-time CPU usage.

From there, you should see what applications are running on high CPU usage. You can also
    restart the Windows Management Instrumentation service and see if your CPU performance will improve. Follow the instructions below to restart the service:

• Click on the Start button and type Services.
    • Scroll down the list and look for Windows Management Instrumentation.
    • Right click on it and select Restart.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Dec 24, 2019
  4. mydlo Win User

mydlo, Dec 24, 2019
Thema:

1. High CPU usage when running OneDrive - Similar Threads - High CPU usage

2. CPU usage is high

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU usage is high: My CPU usage is 50% and sometimes higher and the only thing I have opened is Google Chrome. Presentational font cache exe is using most of it and Chrome is using 10-15%. Memory usage is 60% and Chrome is using most of that. 960 mb What can I do to fix this?...
  3. high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    high cpu usage: hi,I am Krishna, my laptop having some problems with wifi. suddenly wifi is disconnecting and the adaptor is not showing wifi settings after doing a hardware scan or internet troubleshooter it is again showing the wifi settings and connecting to wifi, whenever this happens...
  4. High CPU Usage at idle - Unarchiver running

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High CPU Usage at idle - Unarchiver running: For some reason, when I leave my computer at idle, I can hear the fans on my rad spin up. I have a rainmeter skin that shows my top process at it reads "unarchiver" with my CPU idling at about 50c and running at full clock. What's weird is that when I start up task manager,...
  5. High CPU Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High CPU Usage: I just did a factory reset of my windows 10 because of low storage and an issue I have had before and after the reset is high CPU usage. I don't have any external anti virus. And when I get the high usage I just have to open task manager and its fine. its not even when I play...
  6. High CPU usage

High CPU usage: I have constant ongoing high CPU usage . One of the causes is a non Windows app I'm trying to rectify. The other 3 are all Windows based; WMI provider host, Antimalware Service and Services and Controller App....
  7. High cpu usage

High cpu usage: Hi guys, I have a weird problem and I can't fix it. After changing some settings in Comand Promt my computer started behaving weird. My cpu usage is high and very unstable, for no reason. In the task manager there is nothing that should cause high cpu usage, there are no...
  8. smartscreen.exe high CPU usage running for hours

smartscreen.exe high CPU usage running for hours: Hello: I've run into this a couple times over the last several months. Windows Defender SmartScreen is running continuously for hours, and contributing to overheating my laptop when I use other CPU intensive programs (3D drawing). Reading about smartscreen.exe, it appears...
  9. High CPU and Disk usage by "Click to Run"

High CPU and Disk usage by "Click to Run": Hi: My laptop (Dell Precision 7520, Win10 Pro) was just brought to a grinding halt by MS Click-to-Run. Something called Superfetch or Supercache was also pigging out - just caught a glimpse of it. It completely locked me out, couldn't even force a quit or restart with the...
  10. OneDrive Personal High CPU Usage, Not Syncing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    OneDrive Personal High CPU Usage, Not Syncing: Hi everyone! I have an issue that keeps popping up and I can't seem to figure out. Every so often, usually after I used the computer for an hour or so, OneDrive will start really taxing the CPU (25-35%), but also it won't be syncing anything. Right-clicking the...