Windows 10: High CPU usage with Mouse Movements

Discus and support High CPU usage with Mouse Movements in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Dear members: First of all let me briefly present the current configuration of my "very old" system: * Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 * Asus P5K Premium... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by miconovic, Feb 9, 2020.

1. miconovic Win User

High CPU usage with Mouse Movements

Dear members:

First of all let me briefly present the current configuration of my "very old" system:
    * Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
    * Asus P5K Premium Black Pearl Edition
    * OCZ DDR2 PC-6400 800 MHz Reaper HPC Edition CL4 (8 GB)
    * Nvidia GeForce GT630
    * Dell U2413 monitor
    * Disk C: Crucial MX500 250 GB
    * Disk D: Western Digital Blue 1 TB
    * Mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (2019 version)
    * Windows 10 64 bit

One month ago, with the end of support of Windows 7, I decided to install Windows 10 (clean install, from the scratch).

All the process went crystal clear, except for one point: every time I moved the mouse, over the desktop, over the windows file explorer or over a program (windows, adobe, etc.), the CPU usage skyrocketed to 60%, 70%, 80% or even more! The problem was even worse when I was seeing a YouTube video and/or a video with the windows player or with the MHC media player classic, with the mouse becoming erratic and choppy..

In all these situtions the CPU went crasy with temperatures exceeding 90-95 degrees centigrade (never seen before with Windows 7).

I've tried literally all the "solutions" available on the internet (google, youtube, specialized forums, etc.), with no favorable results. It's important to stress that this mouse abnormal behavior was never present with Windows 7.

Curiously, this problem does not happen with previous versions of the Microsoft Intellimouse (I've tested with Intellimouse 3.0 and 4.0), only with the brand new Intellimouse Pro 2019.

After a lot of guessing I decided to open the Mouse and Keyboard Center application (version 12.181.137.0) that you should install with the Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro. Then I took some experiments, working with 2 different parameters of the mouse performance:
    * DPI Configuration (was 1600 by default)
    * Performance Configuration (Polling Rate was 1000 by default)

I started decreasing the DPI Configuration from 1600 to 800, with a decrease of CPU usage from 60-70% to 35%. A good result but not enough yet.

Then I started decreasing Polling Rate from 1000 to 500 (with a decrase of CPU usage to 19%) and then proceeded to a decrease to 125.

Bingo! The CPU usage decrased to a normal 5-6%!

The mouse DPI measures how sensitive a mouse is. The higher a mouse’s DPI, the farther the cursor on your screen will move when you move the mouse.

The mouse Polling Rate determines how often your mouse reports its position to the PC. In this case, my mouse with a 125 Hz polling rate, will report its position to the PC 125 times every second, intead of 1000 every second with the default value. Higher polling rates will use more CPU resources as the CPU has to query the mouse for its position more often!

Maybe, with new processors and motherboards this problem goes unnoticed. However, even knowing that the solution I propose may not be interesting for gamers, it may help a lot people like me that have old PCs, working very well with Windows 7, but obtaining high CPU usage with Windows 10.

All the best,

Mico.

:)

miconovic, Feb 9, 2020

2. High CPU usage when mouse movement occurs

Hey guys

I recently went to play a game of CS:GO, I noticed massive frame drops from 200+ to ~40. After leaving the game, I uninstalled any recently installed programs (Win10 ****) and tried again in an offline server, the
    problem persisted, but after noticing it is only caused when mouse movement occurs. I reinstalled my driver and tested if this was directly related to CS, or if it occurred throughout. It does; whenever mouse movement occurs my CPU usage throttles to 90% load
    with the open program(s) usage increasing.

The phenomenon initially occurred after downloading a game recommenced by PCGamer, some daft 70mb thing, which I deleted as soon as I thought it might have been the culprit but nothing.

After watching my resource monitor/task manager when recreating phenomenon, I have identified that it isn't a single program that throttles the CPU usage, but collectively all running tasks increasing their load, by about double.

I have tried reinstalling mouse drivers/software, as well as using the mouse as a generic usb pointer, which neither worked, I have tried reinstalling AMD video drivers which also didn't work.

And after Windows Defender had 3 hours to scan, it got rid of some adware/trojan and that hasn't had any effect.

Mouse: Logitech G402 (in case relevant)

Mobo: GA 970-DS3P

CPU: AMD FX 6300 3.5GHz

Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1666Hz

GPU: MSI R9 280x

Any help would be much appreciated

BlueBailey, Feb 9, 2020
  3. high cpu usage

After downloading windows 10, anytime I run any programs, I get high CPU usage. It does not matter whether it is google chrome, task manager, playing games, whatever. Anything seems to spike the CPU usage. I have already run malwarbytes and my antivirus
    programs and find no viruses. Any suggestions? Thanks.

JanMcCoy_827, Feb 9, 2020
  4. High CPU usage with Mouse Movements

moving mouse cause high cpu usage for explorer.exe

I have the exact same problem. If i move the mouse fast enough CPU usage spikes. I'm assuming its 1903 related

In fact a few processes in task manager are using an abnormal amounts of power.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello, can any person confirm they're experiencing the same problem, high CPU usage while using the mouse on explorer.exe process

- - - Updated - - -

When the mouse isn't in use nothing. Now i can feel stutter in game. I have two monitors and can see the whole system isn't right. Any suggestion?

win10fuser, Feb 9, 2020
Thema:

High CPU usage with Mouse Movements

1. High CPU usage with Mouse Movements - Similar Threads - High CPU usage

2. high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    high cpu usage: I had a high cpu usage when i was using my pc even on idle, then i decided to reset my pc, this fixed the issue but i had some projects and files that i wanted so i copied them into a flash drive and after the reset, i moved the files to my pc, now the cpu usage is high again...
  3. High CPU usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High CPU usage: When everything is closed my CPU is using 1%, however when I play my game the CPU usage skyrockets up to 60% even though game is only using 10 - 20% of the CPU.When the game is running:When the game isn't running:...
  4. CPU High Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU High Usage: Hey,My CPU goes to 90% to 100% when I play games. I don't know if my CPU is bottleneck or not Could you assist me in fixing it? Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-high-usage/5e1954fe-1478-4342-87c8-f9d99418c5bc
  5. CPU usage is high

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU usage is high: My CPU usage is 50% and sometimes higher and the only thing I have opened is Google Chrome. Presentational font cache exe is using most of it and Chrome is using 10-15%. Memory usage is 60% and Chrome is using most of that. 960 mb What can I do to fix this?...
  6. high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    high cpu usage: hi,I am Krishna, my laptop having some problems with wifi. suddenly wifi is disconnecting and the adaptor is not showing wifi settings after doing a hardware scan or internet troubleshooter it is again showing the wifi settings and connecting to wifi, whenever this happens...
  7. High CPU Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High CPU Usage: I just did a factory reset of my windows 10 because of low storage and an issue I have had before and after the reset is high CPU usage. I don't have any external anti virus. And when I get the high usage I just have to open task manager and its fine. its not even when I play...
  8. High CPU usage

High CPU usage: I have constant ongoing high CPU usage . One of the causes is a non Windows app I'm trying to rectify. The other 3 are all Windows based; WMI provider host, Antimalware Service and Services and Controller App....
  9. High cpu usage

High cpu usage: Hi guys, I have a weird problem and I can't fix it. After changing some settings in Comand Promt my computer started behaving weird. My cpu usage is high and very unstable, for no reason. In the task manager there is nothing that should cause high cpu usage, there are no...
  10. High CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High CPU Usage: Hi. I have a problem with my laptop since yesterday. Something invisible is using very high cpu usage. I said invisible because it didn't show in task manager and process explorer. It all comes when I was browsing some pictures in Google and downloading YouTube videos...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to fix high cpu usage mouse movement

2. windows 10 mouse movement cpu usage