Windows 10: High cpu use and ticking hard drive on boot,sleep/wake cycle fixes it round 2

Discus and support High cpu use and ticking hard drive on boot,sleep/wake cycle fixes it round 2 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello! The Problem:high cpu use and some ticky tacky sounding disc access when finished booting up-shows as follows in task manager: Service... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by VideyoJunkei, Jan 17, 2021.

1. High cpu use and ticking hard drive on boot,sleep/wake cycle fixes it round 2

Hello!

The Problem:high cpu use and
    some ticky tacky sounding disc access when finished booting

up-shows as follows in task manager:

Service host:diagnostic service host
    Service host:diagnostic policy service
    and System all run at 9 to 11% cpu each
    plus:
    Client server runtime process 5%
    system interrupts 2%
    total 40% cpu use on my I7 4790K! just doing nothing!
    You can hear the CPU fan spin up about 1/2 way through booting.
    My hard drive also makes a constant ticking
    or galloping horse noise-it is in constant
    use by 'system' 1% use

Just by putting my computer to a sleep/wake
    cycle stops it and then runs normally.
    The computer otherwise runs fine.
    MB is a Asus Z97-P 16Gb latest bios 19??

I posted about this problem before and got help but
    these instructions did not change anything:

Method 1: Perform SFC Scan and Repair Windows Image
    -This process will perform scan for any corrupted system files or integrity violation and will attempt to repair it along with the Windows Image.

1. Open command prompt with administrator access
    2. Type each command below and wait until scan is completed.

* sfc /scannow
    * DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    * DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    * DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

then oddly the problem stopped for a while when
    I changed my ps2 mouse to usb but it came back!
    the ps2 mouse was very unresponsive in the bios screen,
    needing long presses of the button to sometimes register.
    This ps2 mouse worked fine in windows however...

This is a real puzzler!

VideyoJunkei

:)

VideyoJunkei, Jan 17, 2021
  2. ninja883 Win User

High CPU usage on waking up

Whenever I wake my laptop from sleep, the CPU usage seems to be tremendously high. I noticed that when Edge was launched, it took too long to respond and task manager was the only way to close it. Is there a way to fix this?

ninja883, Jan 17, 2021
  3. BruceW268 Win User
    High CPU usage - system interrupts - when waking from sleep

I've noticed that the CPU has high usage, due to System Interrupts (ACPI.sys) running high after waking from sleep, and lately getting the BSoD when in this state and then using web browser, Outlook, or Word.

I have the latest Windows updates, have run the Power Troubleshooter
    with no results, and I have done a Clean Boot with all startups and services turned off, including MS services. I still get the same high System Interrupts after waking from sleep.

Please advise.

Running Windows 10 64-bit on Asus U36SG.

BruceW268, Jan 17, 2021
  4. BruceW268 Win User

High cpu use and ticking hard drive on boot,sleep/wake cycle fixes it round 2

High CPU usage - system interrupts - when waking from sleep

After reverting to an earlier Windows version and then updating the drivers again...

This did not resolve the high CPU usage after waking from sleep, and I notice that it is both System Interrupts (ACPI.sys) and System (ntoskrnl.eve) adding up to about 30% added CPU usage... and constant cooling fan running at moderate to high speed.

BruceW268, Jan 17, 2021
Thema:

High cpu use and ticking hard drive on boot,sleep/wake cycle fixes it round 2

1. High cpu use and ticking hard drive on boot,sleep/wake cycle fixes it round 2 - Similar Threads - High cpu ticking

2. Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?: Ok, so my Windows 10 gaming tower took a **** and I removed the hard drive. I then bought a Windows 11 gaming tower and I want to install the windows 10 hard drive as a 2nd OS for a duel boot as there are some things I can't do with windows 11 that I can with 10 like use my...
  3. Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?: Ok, so my Windows 10 gaming tower took a **** and I removed the hard drive. I then bought a Windows 11 gaming tower and I want to install the windows 10 hard drive as a 2nd OS for a duel boot as there are some things I can't do with windows 11 that I can with 10 like use my...
  4. High 85% CPU use untill put to a sleep/wake cycle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High 85% CPU use untill put to a sleep/wake cycle: Main problem: My Pc revs up cpu fan during boot, with 85% CPU when done booting. A sleep/wake cycle fixes this. the computer otherwise works fine. I have a ASUS Z97-P motherboard with a I5-4690K processor running windows 10 pro. There are 3 items with high CPU under...
  5. Sluggish after a few sleep->wake cycles

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sluggish after a few sleep->wake cycles: I have noticed that after a few sleep->wake cycles everything starts getting sluggish. Alt-tabbing, opening context menus, just doing stuff in applications in general, explorer, etc. Everything becomes slower. A restart gets everything back to normal snappiness. Any ideas?...
  6. Sleeping the display - just cycles wake/sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleeping the display - just cycles wake/sleep: Hello all, I have a new rig, still working out some bugs, but this is my first PC, coming from a Mac ecosystem. When I set up sleep settings, I have the screensaver start after 10 minutes, then display sleep after 20 minutes. When that time comes, the display I have just...
  7. High CPU usage on waking up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High CPU usage on waking up: Whenever I wake my laptop from sleep, the CPU usage seems to be tremendously high. I noticed that when Edge was launched, it took too long to respond and task manager was the only way to close it. Is there a way to fix this?...
  8. Secondary Hard Drive Disappears After Wake From Sleep

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Secondary Hard Drive Disappears After Wake From Sleep: After the most recent update (1809), when waking from sleep Windows can't find my secondary drive. If I reboot it's back again, but having to do a reboot after sleep is NOT convenient! I was an earlier post that this problem occurred before (think it was 2016). I have a...
  9. 2 hard drives lost boot

in Windows 10 Support
    2 hard drives lost boot: Not so sure my title is fitting, sorry i haven't been around in along time,, anyhow my issue is odd,, last night my battery back up fried out in the middle of the night it wont power on without the alarm going off like crazy. So after eliminating that then i couldn't get my...
  10. Dual booting with 2 seperate hard drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting with 2 seperate hard drives: Hi, have hp laptop in which I have installed seperately 2 hard drive which runs Windows 10 Proff. And Windows 7 Proff. These have to be installed to the same bay, independently, when they will be recognised. Recently I obtained another dvd drive bay in which I installed the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. “system interrupts” cpu “hard drive” ticking